Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (edit: mostly about ZS100 though)  (Read 115864 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS200 (edit: mostly about ZS100 though)
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
Does anyone record in 4k and upload in 1080? The file sizes are staggering - my connection times out before I can upload these shows in 4k

I mux 4K vids with 24 bit audio and upload to Youtube all the time.  So ... 60-70GB files.  Down-converting to 1080 would be really time consuming -- and would seriously cut into time I spend doing other video projects on my computer.

I'm really lucky that the podunk town I live in decided to do something about the shit internet service offered by Comcast and it started its own fibernet service.  So I get really fast upload speeds (over 10MBs/sec most of the time) and I only pay $40/mth flat fee.  On top of that, they don't care how much bandwidth you use; they don't even monitor it.

In what program are you doing this?

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2020, 03:26:04 PM »
Does anyone record in 4k and upload in 1080? The file sizes are staggering - my connection times out before I can upload these shows in 4k

I mux 4K vids with 24 bit audio and upload to Youtube all the time.  So ... 60-70GB files.  Down-converting to 1080 would be really time consuming -- and would seriously cut into time I spend doing other video projects on my computer.

I'm really lucky that the podunk town I live in decided to do something about the shit internet service offered by Comcast and it started its own fibernet service.  So I get really fast upload speeds (over 10MBs/sec most of the time) and I only pay $40/mth flat fee.  On top of that, they don't care how much bandwidth you use; they don't even monitor it.

XMedia Recode

https://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.php

It can be kind of clunky, but it's completely free and once you get it all figured out, it works well.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »

I use Davinci Resolve. It's free and fairly easy to use after a YouTube tutorial. I just made this with it https://youtu.be/Z7gDjOLtQYs
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2020, 12:13:15 AM »
I use Davinci Resolve. It's free and fairly easy to use after a YouTube tutorial. I just made this with it https://youtu.be/Z7gDjOLtQYs

I think you need to increase the video bitrate when you export your video. The YouTube video gets very blocky when there is a lot of movement on the screen (I watched the 720p60 version on YouTube).

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2020, 02:53:10 AM »

I think you need to increase the video bitrate when you export your video. The YouTube video gets very blocky when there is a lot of movement on the screen (I watched the 720p60 version on YouTube).

Thanks. Would you mind going into a bit more detail? I'm new to video.

Offline guitard

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2020, 01:38:54 PM »

Have you considered not re-encoding your videos; and instead keeping them as 4K?

Creating a new lossless 4K video file that is exactly the same as the raw video you started with (except it is muxed together with new audio) is as good as it can get in terms of picture quality IMHO.

Here's an example of a 4K video that I muxed with separate audio.  There was no re-encoding involved in making this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKyryZW1Nys

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2020, 01:42:02 PM »

Have you considered not re-encoding your videos; and instead keeping them as 4K?

Creating a new lossless 4K video file that is exactly the same as the raw video you started with (except it is muxed together with new audio) is as good as it can get in terms of picture quality IMHO.

Here's an example of a 4K video that I muxed with separate audio.  There was no re-encoding involved in making this. 

Correct but You Tube stills re encodes compresses all uploaded video right?

Offline guitard

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2020, 03:13:45 PM »

Correct but You Tube stills re encodes compresses all uploaded video right?

Of course, we all know Youtube re-encodes.  I wasn't trying to suggest that Youtube video didn't get re-encoded; only that I uploaded it as a lossless re-muxed 4K video and I think the quality (even after re-encoding by Youtube) is very nice.

The real point I was trying to make is that you can losslessly re-mux your raw video and audio files and get the highest quality possible outcome.  I watch these re-muxed 4K video files on my 4K tv and they look and sound great.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2020, 04:35:09 PM »
Nice to hear you can do this No Re Encoding to the 4k files.Similar thing i would do with blurays i made in DVD architect .The footage from the 1920 x 1080 .mts files were already compliant so you could just match your good audio in Vegas >Render the audio>Replace camcorder audio in Dvd architect and the video was unaltered.Unless you were doing a multicam edit of course.

Also the biggest benefit to this Panasonic zs100 is the ability to change the picture profile settings.Unlike any consumer camcorder we had in the past.

The default is set at STANDARD which is not good for video as the blacks are completely crushed.And there is digital sharpening added.

I am using this picture profile settings.

MOTION PICTURE MENU item 1

PICTURE PROFILE >NATURAL
Change CONTRAST to   -5 (Blacks are not crushed anymore)
Change SHARPNESS to -5 (Doesn't make footage soft is still sharp without digital edges)
Change NOISE REDUCTION to -2 (Reduces smoothing)
SATURATION remains at 0

Press SET to save these changes.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:39:44 PM by beatkilla »

Offline sabre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2020, 08:42:38 PM »

When you render your video (i.e. export it from your Video Editor), you are presented with a dialog where you can specify the video and audio bitrate. The higher the bitrate you choose the better quality the video will be but the larger (in megabytes/gigabytes) the video will be.

If the video bitrate is too low for a particular portion of video, you will get compression artifacts such as macroblocking. You can see an example of this in my links below. The first image there is not much movement on stage it is easy for the encoder to process. In the second image the bitrate is not sufficient for the motion so it degenerates.

Here are a couple of screen shots I took from your YouTube video.

Good - https://i.imgur.com/sdyEbbn.jpg
Bad - https://i.imgur.com/csITLxl.jpg

What settings do you use when you export your project?

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »
Nice to hear you can do this No Re Encoding to the 4k files.Similar thing i would do with blurays i made in DVD architect .The footage from the 1920 x 1080 .mts files were already compliant so you could just match your good audio in Vegas >Render the audio>Replace camcorder audio in Dvd architect and the video was unaltered.Unless you were doing a multicam edit of course.

Also the biggest benefit to this Panasonic zs100 is the ability to change the picture profile settings.Unlike any consumer camcorder we had in the past.

The default is set at STANDARD which is not good for video as the blacks are completely crushed.And there is digital sharpening added.

I am using this picture profile settings.

MOTION PICTURE MENU item 1

PICTURE PROFILE >NATURAL
Change CONTRAST to   -5 (Blacks are not crushed anymore)
Change SHARPNESS to -5 (Doesn't make footage soft is still sharp without digital edges)
Change NOISE REDUCTION to -2 (Reduces smoothing)
SATURATION remains at 0

Press SET to save these changes.

Trying these changes out tonight, thanks. I'll report back.

When you render your video (i.e. export it from your Video Editor), you are presented with a dialog where you can specify the video and audio bitrate. The higher the bitrate you choose the better quality the video will be but the larger (in megabytes/gigabytes) the video will be.

If the video bitrate is too low for a particular portion of video, you will get compression artifacts such as macroblocking. You can see an example of this in my links below. The first image there is not much movement on stage it is easy for the encoder to process. In the second image the bitrate is not sufficient for the motion so it degenerates.

Here are a couple of screen shots I took from your YouTube video.

Good - https://i.imgur.com/sdyEbbn.jpg
Bad - https://i.imgur.com/csITLxl.jpg

What settings do you use when you export your project?

I'm not 100%, I just started playing around with Davinci and video in general. I'll post when I do my next video but I'm pretty sure the bitrate was not as high as it should have been.

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2020, 02:12:51 AM »
Much better results this time after changing the settings to beatkilla's natural recommendation. Also, my export settings were 4k at a max of 30,000 kbps. I'll post a link here when it's done uploading to YT.

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/n0W76gmzfO0
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 11:44:00 AM by DavidPuddy »

Offline guitard

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2020, 10:53:17 AM »
For the first year or so that I had the ZS100, I always shot in manual focus mode and would tap the AF icon on the LED screen once I zoomed in to focus the picture.  The problem with this is that during the 2-3 seconds it takes to fully zoom in, as well as for a second or two after you've zoomed in, the picture is out of focus until you can tap the AF icon on the LED screen - but that disappears while the camera is zooming and doesn't reappear until a second or two after you stop zooming in/out.  So a few months ago, I made the switch over to shooting in auto focus mode.  I generally prefer this to manual focus; especially in situations where the musicians are different distances away from my camera (i.e., I am near the front left side of the stage, so the guitarist in front of me is 8 feet away, the lead singer in the middle of the stage is 15 feet away, and the bass player on the other side of the stage is 25 feet away, etc.).  Shooting in manual focus mode in this scenario, I would have to refocus for all three of the musicians (four if you include the drummer).

A big drawback with auto focus mode is that I tend to have trouble staying in focus when there is a lot of dark parts in the picture.  For example, I zoom in on someone playing a black piano and you can only see their head and the rest of the picture is dark.  In this situation, the auto-focus just drifts in and out of focus and really drives me crazy.  Also, when there are a lot of flashing lights or strobe lights - the auto focus has a hard time handling that.

As far as I can tell, you can't change the AF <--> MF setting while shooting on the fly (by pushing the MF button next to the "Menu Set" button).  Of course, stopping the video in the middle of a show to change this setting is not practical.

I have read quite a bit about the AF/AE button on the back of the ZS100, but can't seem to figure out how to lock the focus when shooting in auto focus mode.  If I could lock the focus, I could zoom in on that guy playing the piano and once I got a properly focused picture -- I could lock it in and not have to worry about the camera drifting in and out of focus.  But I just can't figure this out.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
For the first year or so that I had the ZS100, I always shot in manual focus mode and would tap the AF icon on the LED screen once I zoomed in to focus the picture.  The problem with this is that during the 2-3 seconds it takes to fully zoom in, as well as for a second or two after you've zoomed in, the picture is out of focus until you can tap the AF icon on the LED screen - but that disappears while the camera is zooming and doesn't reappear until a second or two after you stop zooming in/out.  So a few months ago, I made the switch over to shooting in auto focus mode.  I generally prefer this to manual focus; especially in situations where the musicians are different distances away from my camera (i.e., I am near the front left side of the stage, so the guitarist in front of me is 8 feet away, the lead singer in the middle of the stage is 15 feet away, and the bass player on the other side of the stage is 25 feet away, etc.).  Shooting in manual focus mode in this scenario, I would have to refocus for all three of the musicians (four if you include the drummer).

A big drawback with auto focus mode is that I tend to have trouble staying in focus when there is a lot of dark parts in the picture.  For example, I zoom in on someone playing a black piano and you can only see their head and the rest of the picture is dark.  In this situation, the auto-focus just drifts in and out of focus and really drives me crazy.  Also, when there are a lot of flashing lights or strobe lights - the auto focus has a hard time handling that.

As far as I can tell, you can't change the AF <--> MF setting while shooting on the fly (by pushing the MF button next to the "Menu Set" button).  Of course, stopping the video in the middle of a show to change this setting is not practical.

I have read quite a bit about the AF/AE button on the back of the ZS100, but can't seem to figure out how to lock the focus when shooting in auto focus mode.  If I could lock the focus, I could zoom in on that guy playing the piano and once I got a properly focused picture -- I could lock it in and not have to worry about the camera drifting in and out of focus.  But I just can't figure this out.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The AF/AE lock button has 4 different possibilities.

Scroll to WRENCH C screen>AF/AE lock (drop down menu)--->AE LOCK(only exposure is locked)
                                                                                          ---> AF LOCK(only focus is locked)
                                                                                          ---> AF/AE lock(both focus and exposure are locked)
                                                                                          ---> AF-ON(Auto focus starts)

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2020, 07:22:04 AM »
Thanks for all the advice and ideas for the camera ts members.

Ever since I updated the camera with the hack I can not get the camera to transfer files to the PC. The PC will not recognize the camera. I have to pull the SD card to transfer the files.
Anyone else have this problem?

Any fixes?

Thanks.

-p
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com