Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone / DAC  (Read 14124 times)

Offline SBW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Headphone / DAC
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
I don't have any conceivable use for 24/192 at any rate...
Search the torrents for anything from hdtracks.com - you can get 24/192 files and they sound incredible when played back with mplayer

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
I don't have any conceivable use for 24/192 at any rate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=bcYppAs6ZdI&feature=fvwp

Did you just inadvertently make an audiophile joke?  :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:48:05 PM by audBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
Did you just inadvertently make an audiophile joke?  :P

Not intentionally.  ;D

At any rate, that old Intel DG43NB motherboard had to go. It was getting to the point where it had trouble booting, and the processor VCC was swinging wildly. I didn't really want to pitch a Core 2 Quad and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, and I was leery of the possibility that a "latest and greatest" motherboard might not get along with XP, not to mention the extra cash I'd need to spend for a new CPU and DDR3 RAM. Fortunately, there were still a few LGA775 boards out there, and I ended up with an MSI G41M-P33. The switchover went smoothly, insofar as switching out motherboards on any Windows system can be called a "smooth" upgrade. I had to install new drivers, and then it bitched at me about reactivating it since the hardware changed (fuck you, Microsoft, this was a legitimately purchased copy of XP). At least it didn't fail to activate. Voltages are rock-steady and in spec.

As a contrast, I had Linux Mint 14 on a separate partition to see how it handled my 0404 USB, and Everything Just Worked with the new mobo - no drivers needed! I have my option when XP becomes untenable. (Other systems of mine have CentOS, OpenIndiana, Windows 7, or pre-WTF Ubuntu.)

Post-mortem on the old Intel board: zillions of bulging and/or tilted capacitors. The real WTF is that all of the caps are Nippon Chemi-Con, a well-respected name in the capacitor biz. The board was never ever used with crap PSUs, either, so I'm guessing something on the board went wonky (maybe a voltage regulator or a DC-DC converter) and started slow-cooking the caps. I guess the recent news that Intel was getting out of the PC motherboard business shouldn't be too much of a surprise; this is the second Intel board I've seen with BBQ'd caps.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Online tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 02:31:39 AM »
^just let out a guffaw at the term "pre-WTF Ubuntu". Got an even better laugh when I googled WTF Ubuntu...

http://www.wtfubuntu.com/

Curious as to which flavor of mint you are running? I'm still on Maya Cinnamon but will be auditioning Nadia soon via VirtualBox before comitting...

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »
^just let out a guffaw at the term "pre-WTF Ubuntu". Got an even better laugh when I googled WTF Ubuntu...

http://www.wtfubuntu.com/

Curious as to which flavor of mint you are running? I'm still on Maya Cinnamon but will be auditioning Nadia soon via VirtualBox before comitting...

Nadia (version 14), with the Cinnamon desktop. There are a few little issues, but overall I like it - it isn't a dead end like GNOME2-based MATE, and it doesn't have the weirdness of standard GNOME3.

Too bad wtfubuntu.com seems to be just a placeholder page.

Trying to wrench this back to playback topics, I started looking at Linux audio players. Clementine looks very promising, but there's one extremely major problem for those of us who enjoy live recordings: its developers still haven't figured out how to make gapless playback work.  :facepalm: I didn't much care for Banshee. Quodlibet works pretty well, but it's pretty basic.

Foobar2000 under WINE sort-of works, but I ran into audible distortion.

For now, XP isn't going away on my "music box" system.

If I had unlimited free time, I'd consider writing a native Foobar-style player for Linux. Foobar seems to be the only player that handles "various artists" albums well, and its file-organizing is light years ahead of anything else I've found.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
I've been blown away by the performance of the new Wadia 121 dac.  I've been using it with hifiman He-500's for a very compact desktop audio system.
http://www.wadia.com/products/decoding/121/

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
A Senn Head Amp is now out !

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com