Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Zoom H2 4-input mod (& the internal mic preamps)  (Read 3611 times)

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
The Zoom H2 4-input mod (& the internal mic preamps)
« on: December 26, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vJq13ukrk

Am I right in thinking this results in 4-mic level signals? So line-level would have to be attenuated first? Well, IIRC the guy in the video builds attentuators into the mod itself, but if you imagine he didn't do that - the wires he's connecting for the mod go into the mic preamp, right?

Is this as bad as it seems though? I mean - I'm sure the consensus with the H2 is that the Ext Mic input sounds poor, but the internal mics sound great. But surely the Ext Mic port and the internal mics use the same preamp, so how can that be? Or is it just that the internals sound great compared to other similar devices' internals, even with the poor preamps?

Is there no way of bypassing the mic preamps and creating 4 straight line level inputs? I wouldn't even mind if it was a permanent mod. All I really want is 4 channels of A/D conversion at 24/48, followed by a dump to SDHC card. Everything else I can do outside the H2.

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: The Zoom H2 4-input mod (& the internal mic preamps)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
Try the tascam dr-2d.

There's a mic-in and a line-in, which can both be recorded independently. Basically a solid four channel recorder. The Zoom H4n will also do the trick. Much better than any mods on the H2, which you're basically attenuating the signal to a bare minimum volume, and then relying on the noisy mic pre-amps to boost the signal.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline tailschao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 11:05:35 AM »
LOL, hey... small world.

Can I not have 4 channels of Line-In on the 2D? I run my Mics through an external pre and obviously my other source is line level ( ;) ). I wouldn't have to scrap my external pre would I?

IIRC the H4n can have 4 channels of line in, right? I was looking at those too.

It's just that the H2 is so annoying - it can do what I want it to. 4 channels of simultaneous 24/48 WAV A/D conversion and subsequent saving of the data. That's all I want. I couldn't care less about onboard mics or preamps. But short of getting hold of some detailed circuit diagrams and a master electrician I'm stuck with going through the onboard mic preamps before I can get to the A/D and data saving.

I wouldn't be averse to doing something similar to yourself. IE, a separate 4ch pure A/D converter into bit bucket of some sort. Or even just 2 x 2ch. I don't mind manually syncing after the fact. Obviously with the, er, standard of my other equipment I don't need big and expensive and pro A/Ds. Something equal in quality to the ones inside the H2 would do, just... more of them, and separate. I mean if they can fit 4 channels of A/D inside the H2 along with 4 mics and 4 channels of preamp, in theory, I should be able to get 4 pure A/D channels in equal quality in half the physical size (and half the price). Just so long as someone makes a suitable product... which they probably don't. You know of anything suitable? Or I think perhaps we should continue this over email  :-X I had hoped I was gonna stop pestering you soon... apparently not  :P

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »
Can I not have 4 channels of Line-In on the 2D? I run my Mics through an external pre and obviously my other source is line level ( ;) ). I wouldn't have to scrap my external pre would I?

Most likely no.  Unless your preamp is very hot even at minimal gain, the "mic" in of the Tascam DR2D will handle it just fine.  I use my DRD2 SBD>line in and Littlebox preamp > mic in all the time.  It can take a consumer line-level input into the mic in, just be sure to set it to low sensitivity and put the input level at ~70.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com