Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A/D + preamp question  (Read 5381 times)

busknuckle

• Trade Count: (0)
A/D + preamp question
« on: February 04, 2004, 05:52:47 PM »
So I'm getting my SBM back soon from being modded, and I'm going to be using it with an mp2 this month. This will be the first time I've run a pre with an external a/d.

Can someone either:

- point me to where I can get the info

or

- Give me some info on this:

What is the correct way to run the gain here? I've heard that you should crank the gain on the SBM-1 and run the pre low, but I've also heard the opposite. Is there no wrong answer?...is it purely based on personal choice?

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
Re:A/D + preamp question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 06:01:05 PM »
I'd set the sbm1 at 8 or 9 and add gain on the MP2 to get good levels.  That still gives you a little room on the sbm1 to fine adjust if necessary.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 06:05:32 PM »
remember the SBM-1 is not applying gain, it is a resistor and as such should be run as wide open as possible.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 06:19:01 PM »
I'd set the sbm1 at 8 or 9 and add gain on the MP2 to get good levels.  That still gives you a little room on the sbm1 to fine adjust if necessary.

I have found that most shows, the most I can get the Mod SBM-1 to is the 6-7 range, even with the MP-2 all the way down on the levels...

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 06:32:07 PM »
remember the SBM-1 is not applying gain, it is a resistor and as such should be run as wide open as possible.

are you sure about this?

when people run m148>sbm1, where does all the gain come from?  they're not just running 20db's of gain are they?  this just seems weird to me.

Offline Tim

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 06:42:12 PM »
hmmm.... I think I should rephrase that.

damnit, I'm that guy they were talking about over at Oade.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 06:46:14 PM »
i quickly looked over the sbm manual in the archive here and could not find any reference to adding gain...but sony's manuals are always simplistic and do not carry all useful info.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 06:50:44 PM »
+T on the SBM-1>mp2 combo.  I love that combo.  Hello BASS

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 07:11:45 PM »
Tim's almost got it.  The SBM1 provides a fixed gain and then levels are set post gain by running the signal through a variable resistor (or maybe signal first goes through the variable resistor, and then onto the fixed gain stage, can't quite remember at this point).  So run the SBM1 at 10 and the signal effectively doesn't go through the resistor.

It all depends on how your ears hear things, but theoretically it will be best to run the mp2 low and the SBM1 close to wide open.  Less signal degradation within the SBM1's variable resistor this way, and less gain applies at the mp2, whose gain stage gets worse at higher levels of gain, at least IMNSHO.

-Todd
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 07:13:26 PM »
thanks Todd, perhaps I should just stay out of the tech talk and stick with making wiseass comments in the open forum. see you tomorrow!

busknuckle

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2004, 08:28:53 PM »
+T on the SBM-1>mp2 combo.  I love that combo.  Hello BASS

I wish I could say that the mp2 was mine...but I'm borrowing it for the show (from a member of this board...thanks again Steve!)

Another coolio member has graciously consented to letting me try out his Octava MK319's (thanks Jonny)

Thanks for the good info people.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »
Bill, more important than sound quality debates is are you stealthing or not? That should dictate how you run the combo first, then see what you can do about tweaking for smidgens of better sound.
SBM wide open sure is clean......

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2004, 09:08:53 PM »
for stealthing, i highly recommend the mp2 limiter.  it allows you to "set it and forget it" like that guy on the rotisserie oven infomercials who looks like he's got a rubber face

set the limiter so it's a hard limit (kicks in right as it overloads) and then set your deck (or sbm) so that that highest level the mp2 gives out is -2 on your dat.  then tape the knob down on your dat or sbm there.  

then, during the show, you use the mp2 knobs for gain.  you absolutely *cannot* clip this way because the mp2 will do a hard limit at -2 on your deck.  but don't run too hot either, or you'll compress it a bit too much.  

i've learned to LOVE this because I can set levels during the first tune and be done.   even if they crank the volume, i know i'm no clipping, and i never have to look at the deck (can't get caught).   the hard limit also assures you that you won't be limiting unless it's really hot (would have clipped if the limiter wasn't on). for most of the show it'll be the pure signal

i just wish i hadn't screwed up the calibration for the bruce & friends show in december...woops.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 09:10:31 PM by scott brown »

busknuckle

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 10:08:39 PM »
Good to know but this will be an open taping situation. It would be hard to stealth those LD mics.

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 03:12:43 PM »
for stealthing, i highly recommend the mp2 limiter.  it allows you to "set it and forget it" like that guy on the rotisserie oven infomercials who looks like he's got a rubber face

set the limiter so it's a hard limit (kicks in right as it overloads) and then set your deck (or sbm) so that that highest level the mp2 gives out is -2 on your dat.  then tape the knob down on your dat or sbm there.  

then, during the show, you use the mp2 knobs for gain.  you absolutely *cannot* clip this way because the mp2 will do a hard limit at -2 on your deck.  but don't run too hot either, or you'll compress it a bit too much.  

i've learned to LOVE this because I can set levels during the first tune and be done.   even if they crank the volume, i know i'm no clipping, and i never have to look at the deck (can't get caught).   the hard limit also assures you that you won't be limiting unless it's really hot (would have clipped if the limiter wasn't on). for most of the show it'll be the pure signal

i just wish i hadn't screwed up the calibration for the bruce & friends show in december...woops.  
Very interesting as I use the MP2 for stealth all the time.   What happens to the signal when it hits the limiter?  Is it audible.  I've heard some of your stuff, so I'm assuming it's not audible.  
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com