Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ad-1000 set up questions  (Read 15816 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: ad-1000 set up questions
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 11:41:19 AM »
enjoy...I'm gonna go out on an opinion limb and say that this might be the finest sounding small diaphragm cardioid rig you can run.

dry and dusty? :P

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 12:02:54 PM »
enjoy...I'm gonna go out on an opinion limb and say that this might be the finest sounding small diaphragm cardioid rig you can run.

is that what you think of all those brothers/kinder/smiley productions? mine?   ;)

Marc = head up ass. duh, those guys ran eaa and not m148. and I still think the drums can sound a bit dry, but that's a minor complaint.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 04:08:50 PM by makers marc »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 12:14:47 PM »

is that what you think of all those brothers/kinder/smiley productions? mine?   ;)

nah...you were the one that used to call the 148 dry and dusty in the low-end til you had some kind of come to jesus moment with it.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 01:22:32 PM »
brent,

welcome aboard.  we run the m248 in front of all the apogee a>d's.

we've gotten some of the wooden boxes made up for the heat issue, but you don't really need it unless you are FOB with the disco biscuits or something like that.
we run the big apogee 500 and 1000 in the wooden box in a porta-brace bag.  The nice part about these bags is the clear window on top, so you can read levels and not have to open the bag. 

http://www.portabrace.com/landing_product_category.php?id=54
    Audio Organizer Case
(AO-1.5X) AUDIO ORGANIZER helps you group a mixer, audio recorder, wireless microphone receiver and transmitter, battery, tape headphones and more.

marc0789

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 02:13:25 PM »

nah...you were the one that used to call the 148 dry and dusty in the low-end til you had some kind of come to jesus moment with it.

ah, yes....my past comes back to haunt me once again. ::) See, now that I run it, the m148 is transparent and detailed, yet warm, and what I once thought was a "dry" low end is just "punchy". ;) ;D

I am a stupid jackass. of course those guys ran 4021>eaa>adk and not 148. ::)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 04:52:55 PM by makers marc »

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 02:28:18 PM »
Hey now, I just recently got an ad-1000 .I have never run one of these so a little help with were I should be would be cool.I currently run 4023>m148> so thats what will be in front of the ad-1000.Also whats the best bag for this thing.I have seen people with those rakgear bags but were using mini-me's.I know this ad-1000 is suposed to get hot so would the rakgear bag work?Any input would be apperiated.Thanks

I do not recommend running it in any bag unless you want to burn it up. Heat kills these things. I keep mine in the open on top of my pelican case that I transport it in. Air flow is critical.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2005, 07:03:29 PM »
:happy:

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2005, 07:06:00 PM »
just remember to flip the grilled cheese at setbreak...
those suckers do get hot.  but they sound just as hot as they feel.

long live....

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2005, 10:53:54 PM »
Here's how I ran my ad1k. The rack I made for it kept it well ventilated. I would unzip both sides of the bag usually half way for extra air. I agree with ethan, heat will take the life out of it so what ever you use, make sure  it can breath.

PS: I could not get quite enough gain when I ran 4022>m148>ad1k (switched over to schoeps same show, location, etc, and everything was fine). I could have possibly been doing something wrong on my end, but 4022's are low output mics, and 20db's is all you're getting out of the m148. 

Offline stober

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 12:50:21 AM »
Here's how I ran my ad1k. The rack I made for it kept it well ventilated. I would unzip both sides of the bag usually half way for extra air. I agree with ethan, heat will take the life out of it so what ever you use, make sure  it can breath.

PS: I could not get quite enough gain when I ran 4022>m148>ad1k (switched over to schoeps same show, location, etc, and everything was fine). I could have possibly been doing something wrong on my end, but 4022's are low output mics, and 20db's is all you're getting out of the m148. 
how many times did you run 4022>m148>adk1.Just once?

marc0789

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 10:37:32 AM »
the only thing I can think of is that you really gotta run -10 and not +4 on the ad1k when you run low fixed gain into it. 20 db ought to be enough, 'cause I think that's fairly analogous to what the eaa put out at its' lowest setting and I never had issues running 4022>eaa>adk. yes, the dpas are low output, but not that low.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2005, 11:18:07 AM »
the only thing I can think of is that you really gotta run -10 and not +4 on the ad1k when you run low fixed gain into it. 20 db ought to be enough, 'cause I think that's fairly analogous to what the eaa put out at its' lowest setting and I never had issues running 4022>eaa>adk. yes, the dpas are low output, but not that low.

ding! I forgot about the -10 +4 options. This makes sense as I'll often have 35 gain on my V2 running at the +4 setting with my 4011's

-e

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2005, 03:19:22 PM »
Here's how I ran my ad1k. The rack I made for it kept it well ventilated. I would unzip both sides of the bag usually half way for extra air. I agree with ethan, heat will take the life out of it so what ever you use, make sure it can breath.

Yes. +4 was way too low and -10 was'nt quite enough.

Offline jacallery

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2005, 03:24:37 PM »
Stober, I have a rack/cage I built that I my old ADK is in.  It is white shelving with rubber pads to hold the A/D
and zip ties to hold it all together.  You can have it if you want.  I can snap some pics too.

...I ran 4022>m148>ADK for a while a few years ago.  I rarely had problems getting enough gain, and I used the -10 always.  I just turned the l/r dials all the way up and backed them off a millimeter or so.  I never taped any acoustic shows though, either on-stage or bars>theaters.
I made some decent tapes, I just never really made a tape I loved with the 4022's...to each his own.

callery

you could always use the mic gain on the ADK if you had to, but I probably wouldn't. I think I'd add a few db in post first.

schoeps mk41/mk5+cmc6xt>Nagra V (24/96)

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2005, 03:40:16 PM »
Here's how I ran my ad1k. The rack I made for it kept it well ventilated. I would unzip both sides of the bag usually half way for extra air. I agree with ethan, heat will take the life out of it so what ever you use, make sure it can breath.

Yes. +4 was way too low and -10 was'nt quite enough.

hmm...something doesn't seem right. Do the 4022's have a -10dB pad like 4011's? Maybe you have yours engaged and don't know it. Do you use the soft limit? If so that could be your problem as it engages at a factory default of like 6dB. This can be calibrated btw. I calibrated mine to kick in about -1.5db but now I've stopped using it when I run in the section because with the V3 I can dial things in.

-e

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com