Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 users....a/d stage opinions?  (Read 26173 times)

marc0789

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 722 users....a/d stage opinions?
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2005, 02:29:54 PM »
for $2400 it better provide 16 bit dithered/resampled output for backup, provide 1 bit analog output that isn't run through a most likely cheap d-a, and give me daily hummers too. Ok, I can live without the hummers but the rest is a must. :P

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2005, 08:03:33 PM »
cheap DA?  i'd like to think it's the same chipset as the AD and i think it's a fine converter.  somebody with a jb3 patched out the 1/8" out of my 722 and said it came out great for them.  besides if it is supposed to be a 16bit *backup* i don't see the problem with the way the 722 is designed for this purpose. the difference in sonic characteristics(especially for the 1/8" out) has got to be minimal(of course i am assuming, but it's not a blind one IMO )

now a dithered output for a digital patch/backup would definitely be nice, but for now....it's not a problem for me. But, of course, that's just me :)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2005, 08:09:12 PM »
really not having a dithered output is a big deal?  kinda bizarre to me that anyone cares about that so much.  yeah, i guess it would be nice, but that's a pretty substantial amount of processing to be done on the fly isn't it?  recording the 24bit stream and at the same time dithering on the fly and outputting the 16 bit signal.  to my knowledge, the ad2k+ was the only device that i ever heard of (in the portable world) that outputted 16 and 24 bit simultaneously.  maybe like the cantar or deva does it, but i have no idea, but you're talking a different ballpark.  but i really couldn't see that being such a big deal as to not get the unit otherwise.  as for patchers...if these become the standard, patchers are just gonna have to buck up and buy up all the mod sbm1's out there  ;)

Offline Brian

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2005, 08:20:44 PM »
yeah...well said damon. i wasn't even thinking of the processing power necessary for recording 24bits and outputting 16.  it's probably over the top for this device,but maybe not?  i don't think it is a priority for SD. 

does the 148 only have xlr's out or does it have the rca's as well.  or is that only the 248?  if it has the spare rca out you could just patch your backup from there. 

I know a lot of other pre's have an aux output, like the v2 for example.  If i ever wanted to run a backup and was actually questionable of the 722's analog output i can just patch a deck/jb3 from there.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2005, 08:30:38 PM »
148 is xlr only
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2005, 08:31:35 PM »
148 is xlr's only.  can always build or buy split xlr's to run 2 analog signals out of a pre if need be.  somebody would be able to build you a xlr to xlr and 1/8" cable, i'm sure.  that way you could run the 1/8 into your d8 or MD as a backup and the xlr's into your double deuce

Offline Brian

« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2005, 08:33:57 PM »
"double deuce" ...... i like that

"7 DEUCE DEUCE BITCHES!"

"The 7 DOUBLE DEUCE BITCHES!"

both roll very well off of the toungue :P

Offline Tim

« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »
double douche :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2005, 08:36:19 PM »

both roll very well off of the toungue :P

that's really what taping is all about isn't it?

double douche :P

c'mon, you're better than that...are you looking to be called Tim McObvious around here?

Offline Brian

« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2005, 08:38:49 PM »
:D

yeah i know....pretty dork-stlye.  you should have seen me last night when i was listen back to Steve and I's Blues Traveler recording. that 4021>psp2 combo is pretty sick. Kind of hard to believe not a lot of other tapers run that(or so it seems)  It probably fattens up the 4022s a little bit whereas the V2 would be pretty transparent.

McObvious?  is that a racial slur? :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 09:11:04 PM by Brian Sax »

Offline Tim

« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2005, 09:03:33 PM »
I'm in an august slump :P

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2005, 09:07:52 PM »
I'm in an august slump :P

just die your hair a painfully unnatural color and start fluffing the yankees and you'll have completely morphed into everyone's favorite baseball non analyst.

Offline Tim

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2005, 09:20:47 PM »
:lol:

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »
Damon, didn't you run the PSP2 at one point? I think you said something about not liking it because it was French. Of course, France replied and quickly surrendered (best troll ever).
Out of the game … for now?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2005, 11:26:10 PM »
i had a psp2 for about 1-2 weeks.  i took it and a modsbm1 in partial trade for my u89's when i switched to the 4022's.  i never actually ran it, though i pretended like i was going to.  then i realized i'd rather have the cash.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com