Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FLAC Encoding Options "Levels"  (Read 2514 times)

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
FLAC Encoding Options "Levels"
« on: September 01, 2004, 10:52:19 AM »
Tried to find some information about the various levels.  I've seen several shows that mark the FLAC conversion at Level 5 or 6.  Can anyone drop some knowledge on me about these levels and which one I should be using when FLACing a show.  Thanks in advance!
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: FLAC Encoding Options "Levels"
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 11:05:57 AM »
the levels are referring to the level of compression.  I always use Level 8 when encoding.  Level 8 is the highest level and will result in a smaller file.  The downside is that it takes longer to compress, but even without a top of the line computer, it shouldn't take too long to compress anyway.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 11:07:58 AM »
the higher the level of encoding, the greater the compression (though sometimes by VERY small amounts).  Conversely, the higher the level of encoding, the longer it takes to encode (though decoding times are FAR less effected).  

I encode all of the shows I seed @ the highest level, since the extra compression time on my pc will be more than offset by the shortened downloading times of others and the potential hard disk storage savings.  

Finally, since flac compression is lossless, none of the encoding settings will have ANY effect on the sound of the show.

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 11:15:14 AM »
+T's and thanks for the quick feedback!
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 03:13:59 PM »
there's really no reason to go beyond level 6.

I tested this out with a few shows, and the difference in most shows was less than 1 percent from 6 to 8, and 6 takes about 1/5 the time that 8 does.  (at least on my 1.5ghz machine).   If you really need to squeezez out a little bit to fit on one CD with a show, you might want to try bumping it up, but really the gain is very very minimal on 7 or 8 compared to 6.   

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 11:51:02 AM »
there's really no reason to go beyond level 6.

I tested this out with a few shows, and the difference in most shows was less than 1 percent from 6 to 8, and 6 takes about 1/5 the time that 8 does.  (at least on my 1.5ghz machine).   If you really need to squeezez out a little bit to fit on one CD with a show, you might want to try bumping it up, but really the gain is very very minimal on 7 or 8 compared to 6.   

The fact that 8 is 1% smaller proves to me that it *is* worth it to encode at level 8.  Seems to me that the encoding time does not really matter in the long run, if it takes an extra 20 mins, who cares?  It's not like a race to encode anything.  But saving any amount of space *is* a good thing, even if the amount saved is small.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 12:08:19 PM »
Additionally, flac files are frequently downloaded/torrented.  1% of a few hundred gigabytes of total download size (easily realized on an even remotely popular show) is a significant amount of bandwidth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com