Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: r9 configuration help  (Read 2122 times)

Offline yawnfactory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
r9 configuration help
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:18:13 AM »
this is my normal set up.

sound professionals cmc8(w/low sensitivty modification>sp sbs 11@16(no roll off)>mic in>r9>2gb memory card

if i go

sound professionals cmc8(w/low sensitivty modification>sp sbs 11@16(no roll off)>line in>r9>2gb memory card

the low sensitivity mod reduced the input signal by several db, which is why i go with
mic in.  most of the shows have been very good (8-9/10)  but am i messing up by
not going line up.  would it sound a little better line in, maybe fuller?  the singnal rarely if ever distorts via mic in.  generally grab nothing but rock genres.

thanks

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
Re: r9 configuration help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 12:28:30 PM »
The main difference between line-in and mic-in is another gain stage.  The real question is "do you need more gain?"

If you tape "loud music", meaning typical amplified rock bands I would say try Line-in, and you will probably get a strong enough signal.  I have relatively similar gear, and that's what I do.  Running Line-in with the gain cranked up is fine.

If you try line-in and have the R09 gain cranked up to 30 (max) and your peaks are still low, then I would say it's time to switch to mic-in, with the switch on the back set to "Low".  If it's really quiet switch to "High".  This will typically happen in quiet acoustic sets.

In my experience, I would rather run Line-in with the gain cranked up, than switch to Mic-in and have to turn the gain down to something like "5".  I can't explain it, but I think when I have the gain turned down below about 10 it's just not quite as sweet.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: r9 configuration help
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
I can't explain it, but I think when I have the gain turned down below about 10 it's just not quite as sweet.

If memory serves me correctly, I believe unity gain on the original R-09 (not HR) is 8.  Great suggestions/explanation, SJ!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com