Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My 722 battery troubles - solved!  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
My 722 battery troubles - solved!
« on: October 14, 2007, 01:22:41 AM »
I've mentioned in a couple of other threads my woes with battery power for my 722.  I've finally narrowed down the culprit:  a bad / poorly performing charger.  I replaced the charger with an Impact UF-C30 (1800 mA "Smart Charger") and...whaddyaknow...I now get excellent run-times out of my 7.2v, 7600 mAH Impact IMNPF975 batteries:  almost 6h 55m before auto-shutoff (phantom on, recording to INHDD at 24/48, lights on, no headphones).  ;D

I knew with all my NiMH experience that the charger can have a HUGE impact on getting the most out of my batteries.  But I forgot that lesson until this weekend when I had a chance to do some more thorough testing with my 722 li-ion batts.  Makes me wonder how many of the issues people have with their 722 batts (Sony, imitations, or knock-offs) are really charger issues.   :hmmm: 
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
Re: My 722 battery troubles - solved!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 10:36:45 AM »
Finally!  Your experience seemed pretty unusual. Wre you seeing 8.0-8.1 volts on the 722 with the old charger but the charge just wouldn't last?  What charger were you using?

I always use the built-in charger and have never had problems. I have a dual bay external but don't like to remove the battery from the 722...

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
Same thing happened to me last night.  The battery charged on the 722 was good, the battery charged using the lenmar charger died during a set.  There was only one other taper. 

:spelling
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 11:37:32 AM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »
Finally!  Your experience seemed pretty unusual. Wre you seeing 8.0-8.1 volts on the 722 with the old charger but the charge just wouldn't last?  What charger were you using?

Previously, on a full charge I was seeing a max of 6.8v on one batt, and 7.3 on the other.  In my testing this weekend, after a full charge to ~8.1-8.2v, I'm seeing what I'm considering full run-time - based on others' reported run-times - of ~7 hrs on 7600 mAH batts, 24/48, writing to INHDD, phantom on, lights / display on).  I tried charging with both a Sakar / Digital Concepts CH-3000CL and the 722 itself.  Odd that neither the Sakar / DC or 722 charged fully.  I just recently read a post or two about the 722 giving false indicators for full charge, but showing a full charge indicator on such low voltages seems inconsistent with those posts.  I'm writing off the Sakar / DC charger and testing the 722 again to see if it works now, perhaps due to a conditioning issue with the batts.

Same thing happened to me last night.  The battery charged on the 722 was good, the battery charged using the lenmar charger died during a set.  There was only one other taper.

Interesting...opposite of what I've experienced recently.  What brand / model batteries?  Which Lenmar charger?  Same question FL posed:  did the Lenmar-charged batt show full voltage of 8.0-8.2v and simply not last as long as it should have, or did it show low voltage from the get-go, like mine?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 12:57:23 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 01:45:32 PM »
FWIW - I charge with an el-cheapo charger and then top it off by charging in the 722, just to be sure.  I figure that the 722 probably has the best charger circuit I am going to find.  8)  I have one large (7600 mAh) and three standard (4000 mAh) batteries.  I always have three fully charged spares with me.  Belt and suspenders approach.  :)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 01:52:02 PM »
Battery A: charged on the 722 showed 8.0-8.1 on the meter when unplugged 722 cord.
Battery B: charged on the lenmar showed 7.9 when attached to 722

first night: battery B for the opener, panel lit and using phantom - about 1h.  battery A ran all of main act, panel lit, phantom on, about 3 hours.  No issues and didn't track the voltage levels.

second night: ran battery A for opener, went from 8.0 to 7.5 in about 70 minutes.  Switched to B, went from 7.9 to 7.3, powered off for 30min break, powered on and saw 7.4.   722 shut down about 70 minutes later.  Swapped in battery A, showed 7.6, and finished the set.

The only other thing that might be relevant is that I have been using battery A almost exclusively since I usually use an external preamp for phantom and the one battery gets the 722 though about 6h record time.  I have used battery B occasionally but both always charged on the 722 and the other charged on the lenmar but never swapped in during a show.  Now I'm running directly into the 722 for a while, battery B and C are being brought into regular rotation

edit: batteries and charger are from Battery Bank:
    MSC1LX Mach1 110 to 220V      (lenmar) 
    NPF960/ACD607L    NPF960/ACD607L Vidpro      Infolithium Camcorder
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 02:02:20 PM by Lil' Kim Jong-Il »
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.324 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com