Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: One channel out of phase  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
One channel out of phase
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »
Hi

So I have a perplexing situation. I taped tab benoit on Friday and used 4 mics one of which is out of phase. What would cause this? It's the first time I ran my ck61 caps and used a set of cables for the first time. But the cables are from Ted and I seriously doubt that he may have flipped a wire somewhere. Any ideas?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: One channel out of phase
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:27:29 PM »
I'm leaning toward the cable.  I have a set (of his) that did that.  I haven't addressed it since they weren't particularly expensive but I'm sure it's the cable. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:31:46 PM »
I'm leaning toward the cable.  I have a set (of his) that did that.  I haven't addressed it since they weren't particularly expensive but I'm sure it's the cable.

Any way I can test that, I don't want to bother Ted if I can do it myself. I have a multi meter that should be able to do it, just not sure which setting to use.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:11 PM »

Any way I can test that, I don't want to bother Ted if I can do it myself. I have a multi meter that should be able to do it, just not sure which setting to use.
just record your stereo and swap the cables around
If the out of phase follows the cable you know that's the issue
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »

Use the continuity, or ohms setting.  You are measuring the conductance, and verifying that the pins at each end are connected.  That should allow you to zero in on it.  It helps if you can secure both ends of the cable, freeing up both hands to handle the probes.  Or use clips, if they will fit.

If not, trial and error testing with careful documented swapping is the way.

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »

Use the continuity, or ohms setting.  You are measuring the conductance, and verifying that the pins at each end are connected.  That should allow you to zero in on it.  It helps if you can secure both ends of the cable, freeing up both hands to handle the probes.  Or use clips, if they will fit.

I tested every cable except RCA to xlrs. Every one came up fine. Though one had a very high resistance around the 20-30 ohm where the others were around .2-.5 any other ideas?

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:21:09 PM »
Just found a cable that had the wires switched, that's a real easy fix, thanks for the help.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:59:35 PM »
Yeah, most times it's a cable issue. Occasionally it's a gear issue (the V3s had a polarity issue on certain serial numbers and they did a recall), and even rarer; on the mic itself (I once saw a mic that had a bad pin-out on the XLR connector, like someone at the factory had soldered the wrong hot/cold pins). Always start with the cables though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
Just for the record, the issue with the Lunatec V3s was that both channels were polarity-inverting at the same time. That's not terribly unusual, unfortunately, and didn't cause anyone to make recordings with the channels inverted relative to each other. However, many engineers prefer to preserve correct absolute polarity because some people, with some program material, can hear the difference and the inverted polarity lowers the realism for them. I had Grace rewire my V3 and thought it was to their credit that they handled the situation the way they did.

--Phil, just want to remind you to fix or set aside the cable that had the extra resistance. You didn't say which pin that was on, but it's bad news anywhere.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 08:58:47 AM »

30 ohms sounds like you are measuring two wires that are on the opposite side of a transistor.  Was that the cable with the wires swapped?

I tested every cable except RCA to xlrs. Every one came up fine. Though one had a very high resistance around the 20-30 ohm where the others were around .2-.5 any other ideas?

No it was just a microphone cable I was testing, from pin to pin, not the wire. Should that be of concern Jon?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »
Just for the record, the issue with the Lunatec V3s was that both channels were polarity-inverting at the same time.

As I was typing that I kept going "maybe it was just the ADC stage, cause I remember some people didn't care, so it couldn't have been that noticable" but that makes sense; you'd only catch the defect if you were super sharp, lucky, or mixing it the output with something else. Thanks for the correction.

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 01:35:21 PM »

No it was just a microphone cable I was testing, from pin to pin, not the wire. Should that be of concern Jon?

Maybe.  Sometimes oxidation on the tip of a connector will cause a high reading, but it's not actually high resistance when patched with another connector.  Try cleaning the tip and retest.

How do you recommend going about doing the if its oxidized?

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Thanks Jon. It's a new cable only maybe 6 months or so. It's gotten wet a few times though. We will see

Offline Phil Zone

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
Would deox work for that? I don't have all of the sprays and would love to only have to get one. Thanks

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:17:04 AM »
"Mate several times with a female" is a good prescription regardless.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com