Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Apogee mini me; soft limit or no?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Apogee mini me; soft limit or no?
« on: February 08, 2014, 12:29:26 AM »
I just picked up a Apogee mini me and was wondering if I should use the soft limit feature or not. I usually don't filter or limit anything but wanted to ask if it's actually a good idea or not. Thanks for your help!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Apogee mini me; soft limit or no?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:33:17 AM »
:drool:

The soft limiter on the mini-me is the absolute shit! It sounds really good and is super useful for music like bluegrass. I wouldn't necessarily use it at a rock concert, but anytime there is wide dynamic range it will come in very handy.

Experiment the 3 (?) curves and use it liberally!

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:50:55 AM »
So it's good for acoustic/quieter music but not necessary for something like Phish?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:35:05 AM »
I too like it. I'd use it at a rock show personally, but I'd be careful about how much I pound it there. I can't remember the settings but it's the one without compression is what I'd use in most cases. (although I've heard some metal/hard rock with that compression setting that sounded epic. I personally wouldn't use that though)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:06:19 AM »
Why use it at all (except in rare situations when it's particularly difficult to set levels without fear of clipping)?

Unless you have a specific need (to help prevent clipping in challenging situations) or desire (if you especially like the sonic signature the feature imparts), I'd skip it:  set levels so, even at peaks, you don't clip.  Then apply any "soft limiting" in post when you have more control over the results.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 07:14:14 AM »
I used to run the soft limiter on the AD-1000 and liked it for a while, but then found that I would push the levels too much and began to dislike the feature.  Once I got the mini-me a few years ago I have never used the soft limiter and never will.  As Brian indicated, one can always limit or apply compression in post with more precision and control.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »
Soft limit all the time (SL, not SLC) for me.

You can put more "under the curve".  I find that many spurious peaks are tamed just nicely.

Haven't found a compressor that duplicates what SL does.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline hawghunter

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Planet of Sound
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
I run it all the time and support the message above.  ;D
ISO: NIRVANA :), 8/15/91 - The Roxy

930's > MMe

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
I find that many spurious peaks wooks are tamed just nicely.

Ftfy.

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 05:01:20 AM »
I find that many spurious peaks wooks are tamed just nicely.

Ftfy.

:P ;D yeahyouright it-goes-to-eleven

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
I run it all the time and support the message above.  ;D

yeahyouright hawghunter

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com