Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Connection from B3/4061 to Sony M10 questions  (Read 3088 times)

Offline Goldninfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Connection from B3/4061 to Sony M10 questions
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »
I am considering purchasing either the Countryman B3 or DPA 4061 and want to know how I go about connecting either an XLR or Microdot into the 3.5mm line input of the Sony M10 or is there a small battery box I can purchase that can act as an adapter aswell.

I was reading that apparently the easy to get, off the shelf adapters are not wired correctly and not a good idea to buy. Or is this false and it is a good idea to purchase?

Offline Goldninfan

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Connection from B3/4061 to Sony M10 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:11 PM »
I noticed on sweet water website they have a version that has a 3.5mm locking lug instead of an XLR for the B3 but they say it's only compatible with Sennheiser wireless systems.

Would this not work also with my M10 for line input? And would I need a battery box or would Phantom power still ok?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
The M10 does not have phantom power, it has 3.3V or so of plug-in power. Enough for recording conversations, but not enough to power mics in concert situations. And yes there are those that do run without battery boxes, but every mic manufacturer on this board strongly recommends a battery box with the M10. Not much money, not very big, and oh so much more reliable. The Church Audio UglyBB is little bigger than a 9V battery alone.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
If you're considering the Countryman B3s, I would suggest buying an unterminated/rattail pair from a vendor (Full Compass stocks these and has good prices, especially if you call them), and then having one of the microphone or cablemakers on this board (Chris Church, Ted Gakidis, Darktrain, etc) terminate the pair into a connector of your choice.  An 1/8-inch stereo plug could easily be connected to most 9v battery boxes (including the Church UglyBB, among others), which would power the mics, and then into the M10.  Several options available.

Offline Goldninfan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:46:21 PM »
Ok thanks for the help. I did notice that the option was available for the unterminated B3's. However I ended up ordering the Soundman OKM II Rock Studio as it is already a mini jack ready for M10 and comes with its own BB. I needed it mics rather quickly so this was the faster option. Thabks for the help and depending on how these mics go I will take your advice on getting whatever mics I choose less to have them sent to Chris church. Thanks for the help!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com