Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KC5 or nBob Actives?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
KC5 or nBob Actives?
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »
So.... I'm wanting to go active and I'm torn over buying new KC5s or nBob actives. The $ I could save could buy me a tinybox, which is another wishlist item. Without starting shit, anyone have thoughts on which direction I should go? KCY is also an option (if I get a tinybox first). I like dnsacks set up a lot. Would like to be able to run 2 rigs at once (after I get a 2nd set of capsules, of course). Would also like the ability to have both rigs be somewhat interchangeable.
Again, I'm thinking that cables + tinybox is a better option.

Thanks for your input! I'm just torn over what way to go and am looking for some guidance.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:13:30 AM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
Re: KC5 or nBob Actives?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »
FWIW  I could build you kc5 style cables using our custom capsule ends and genuine schoeps parts for the body ends including the mini xlr for pfa or tinybox attachment.
PM me for further details.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »
Personally, I would go with the nBob Actives into a tinybox and then keep an eye out for a used pair of kc5s if you're not completely enamored with how the nbob active>tiny box sound compares to the schoeps caps>bodies sound.  That way, you'd have the potential to run an active solution for both of the rigs you're contemplating.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
Personally, I would go with the nBob Actives into a tinybox and then keep an eye out for a used pair of kc5s if you're not completely enamored with how the nbob active>tiny box sound compares to the schoeps caps>bodies sound.  That way, you'd have the potential to run an active solution for both of the rigs you're contemplating.

I think dnsacks said it best (as you liked his setup).  :)

I think the nBob actives > TinyBox road is pretty well proven as many people are doing it.  Then it's a question of whether you want Output Transformers or not.  And then, regarding KC5's, that's a whole other ball of wax -- if you were primarily running open, I'd say that might make some more sense  but if you're planning to use them in different situations, 6' nBob's with an extension might be the better route.

I'm sure that cleared things up a little.  ;D

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:20 AM »
The smallest active setup for Schoeps is the genuine product from Schoeps.

You can order any part from Posthorn, or the US distributor, and it can be serviced with common tools. Schoeps has been listing all of the parts on their price list, including a blown-apart drawing showing all of them, for years. You can buy any or all of the parts. They'll likely do that forever. If a cable gets ripped out, it's likely just a $20 part. I've never had that happen - it's a very stout part. But I have spares on hand, so I can fix them anytime without missing a show.

Last time I looked at the price list, the capsule end parts were $317 per channel. You would just need to add cable to that. That is not trivial, but it ain't rocket science.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com