Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii  (Read 46131 times)

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
Re: Tascam DR-60D (part 2) & upgraded DR-60Dmkii
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:18 AM »
I am new and alone in figuring this out.  However it will likely take someone her 2 minutes to answer my questions.
1- Are the preamps on channels 1/2 and 3/4 the same? 
2- If I want to run a 2nd pair of mics through a phantom power unit connected to channels 3/4, can I expect the same sound quality as channels 1/2? 
3- Any suggestions on cable adapter to get from phantom power unit or separate preamp to channels 3/4 input (3.5mm)?

Thanks

Studio Projects C4's
Tascam DR-60D
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2015, 08:50:38 AM »
I would say they're most likely not the same because with 1/2 we have phantom mic pres whereas 3/4 is a line level input (unless there is a setting I haven't found yet with a pad of some sort).  I haven't had any issues with a difference in quality between the two.  Your best bet (and what I've been doing) is either come out of a pre with a mini TRS output (I think the littleboxes had something like that) or just get a dual XLR > TRS mini cable.  I tend to use 3/4 for board patches and my most common scenario has me going Berliners > 1/2 & L/R XLR SBD > TRS Mini > 3/4

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
I am new and alone in figuring this out.  However it will likely take someone her 2 minutes to answer my questions.
1- Are the preamps on channels 1/2 and 3/4 the same? 
2- If I want to run a 2nd pair of mics through a phantom power unit connected to channels 3/4, can I expect the same sound quality as channels 1/2? 
3- Any suggestions on cable adapter to get from phantom power unit or separate preamp to channels 3/4 input (3.5mm)?

Thanks

Studio Projects C4's
Tascam DR-60D
I agree with opsopcopolis, I have not detected any difference in sound quality between 1/2 and 3/4.
Any preamp with 1/8 TRS out will work just fine into 3/4. I generally use my Naiant Tinybox as it is small and allows me to then have XLR with Phantom on 3/4. This weekend I also used my Sound devices USB pre2 as I had plenty of room in my bag. I just used the 1/8 from the USB Pre2 out into the Tascam and it sounded great.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »

Test tone at +4 dBu (pro level) with all front panel gain knobs all the way down

input 1 on XLR and TRS, line in setting, LOW, mixer 100 = -33
input 2   same                                                             = -34
input 3 TS>mini, LOW, mixer 100                                 =   -6
input 4   same                                                             =   -6

So it's a lot more sensitive.

I plan on running my preamp TS to mini into 3/4 and using the 1/2 for SBDs or another set of mics when the opportunity arises. Most of the patches I get offered are XLR (sometimes TRS) anyway.
maybe that's why there is no med gain on 3/4

I had noticed that 3/4 is considerably hotter than 1/2 so I used a 20db attenuator.
Still slightly hotter than 1/2 so I bought a 25db attenuator.
Of course, I have not gotten a board since purchasing it...

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice.  This is exactly what I needed to know!  Love this site and definitely appreciate all time, effort, and information you tapers offer up here.

I would say they're most likely not the same because with 1/2 we have phantom mic pres whereas 3/4 is a line level input (unless there is a setting I haven't found yet with a pad of some sort).  I haven't had any issues with a difference in quality between the two.  Your best bet (and what I've been doing) is either come out of a pre with a mini TRS output (I think the littleboxes had something like that) or just get a dual XLR > TRS mini cable.  I tend to use 3/4 for board patches and my most common scenario has me going Berliners > 1/2 & L/R XLR SBD > TRS Mini > 3/4

I assume you are referring to a dual FEMALE XLR > TRS mini cable. 

I agree with opsopcopolis, I have not detected any difference in sound quality between 1/2 and 3/4.
Any preamp with 1/8 TRS out will work just fine into 3/4. I generally use my Naiant Tinybox as it is small and allows me to then have XLR with Phantom on 3/4. This weekend I also used my Sound devices USB pre2 as I had plenty of room in my bag. I just used the 1/8 from the USB Pre2 out into the Tascam and it sounded great.

Since I currently afford a preamp that would be considered an upgrade to the current quality in the DR-60, I will likely purchase an ART Phantom II to get Phantom power on the 3/4.  I'll wait on reviews of the new DR-680 mkii and a few more paychecks before I consider a separate preamp.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2015, 08:43:26 PM »
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:24 PM »
Checking into this thread. I just picked up DR-60D. I am looking forward to running it with my Berliner CM-33s.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
The pres on the old 680 were good enough to not really need a preamp unless you define need as wanting the taste of a particular preamp.  The price of the mkii may come down after it has been on the market a few months. 

Where the 60d shines is to run a soundboard feed into the 1\8 and mics in the xlrs.  No pre needed for that.

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2015, 12:29:01 AM »
The pres on the old 680 were good enough to not really need a preamp unless you define need as wanting the taste of a particular preamp.  The price of the mkii may come down after it has been on the market a few months. 

Where the 60d shines is to run a soundboard feed into the 1\8 and mics in the xlrs.  No pre needed for that.

Are the pres in the original DR-60D the same as the 680? or only on the mkii?

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2015, 07:39:14 AM »
When I first bought a DR-60D, I borrowed a V-2 and ran it in front of the 60D. I took it out of the chain after a few recordings and decided I liked the sound of the built-in pres better. YMMV. Most everything I have taped with this unit has been mics>DR-60D. Sounds great to me.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline willndmb

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »
When I first bought a DR-60D, I borrowed a V-2 and ran it in front of the 60D. I took it out of the chain after a few recordings and decided I liked the sound of the built-in pres better. YMMV. Most everything I have taped with this unit has been mics>DR-60D. Sounds great to me.
agreed
Ran mine with my tb/lb and dropped the lb. still have the tb because I need to to power the mics and feed the 1/8 jack
I do feel the lb/tb was slightly better sounding but not enought I justify it in my bag
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 11:35:16 AM »
Are the pres in the original DR-60D the same as the 680? or only on the mkii?

No, the pres on the original DR-60D are not the same as those on the 680.  IIRC, I believe it was Tascam themselves that confirmed this.  From what I understand they are as good but have a slightly different flavor.  And like hoppedup, I think the -60D's pres sound great as is and don't feel the need to use an external preamp.

As far as the -60DMKII preamps being the same as the 680's, is that fact or just speculation?  Honest question.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
I've lost track of which model has which preamps. 

I compared the 60d directly with the 680 using the same mics on a piano, and they were very, very close, but I have no recollection about the preamps in the mkii versions.  It could be determined by reading the various threads on each of these models.  Seems like the pres in the 680mkii were mentioned in the 680mkii thread. 

Of the 60d, 70d and 680, the 60d still has the best user interface, IMO. You aren't likely to engage phantom power accidentally and the 1/8 input is ganged.  You also have manual control over the 1/8 output to camera. 

The weakness of the 680mkii at the present price point is it's not that far away from the Zoom 8 with timecode.   It remains to be seen what the Zoom will do, but I wouldn't sink $600 in a mkii at this point. 

The 60d is virtually at a give away price in the YS lately. 

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:38 PM »
The 60d is virtually at a give away price in the YS lately.

Yup. I gave away two in the last week and a half. I am keeping one. As a new owner of a 70D, I must say the interface on the 60D is much simpler. I like that the 60D asks me if I'm sure I want phantom on.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline jbou

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »

That's great to hear. I'm planning to go mics > DR-60D.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:49:04 PM by jbou »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com