Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: why am i getting clipping??  (Read 8256 times)

Offline Kevin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
why am i getting clipping??
« on: September 21, 2003, 08:20:00 PM »
I ran my levels at 12 on the minime last night (2nd green light) and today im listenin to it and here clipping, why is this happening? I prob hit the red light twice the whole show.
thanks for the input in advance
Kevin
481(3)>722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re:why am i getting clipping??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 08:43:20 PM »
I ran my levels at 12 on the minime last night (2nd green light) and today im listenin to it and here clipping, why is this happening? I prob hit the red light twice the whole show.
Kevin

soundz to me like a tape issue..... 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 08:48:08 PM »
Kevin

watcha mean bean? ::)
481(3)>722

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 09:24:03 PM »
Kevin

watcha mean bean? ::)

i had this happen LAST nite....a faulty tape and i have dropouts, diginoise, and i KNOW it didnt happen while recording, i watched my levels the WHOLE evening.... >:( ::)

but could def be a problem.... ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 10:47:33 PM »
ill stick a cleanin tape in and let you know if it helps ;)
oh ye and +T for the help
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 10:51:09 PM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 09:32:34 AM »

It could also be a faulty digital cable or environmental issues with the room.  At a couple of the venues around here, there are Smokeaters placed directly above from where you would tape in the room.  The machines can make some noises that you can't hear at the show, but sound just like digital static on the tapes.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 10:30:35 AM »

It could also be a faulty digital cable or environmental issues with the room.  At a couple of the venues around here, there are Smokeaters placed directly above from where you would tape in the room.  The machines can make some noises that you can't hear at the show, but sound just like digital static on the tapes.
really? :hmmm: well i know its not a faulty cable in my playback because i played other tapes to check it and they work fine, so im going to do a sample recording of a friends band and clean the heads and see if that solves the issue
481(3)>722

DaryanLenz

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 11:09:08 AM »
Well, I can tell you one thing, I hit overs all the time on my mini-me, on purpose, and have yet to hear an audible clip, and I mean ever!

Daryan

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 11:30:36 AM »
Well, I can tell you one thing, I hit overs all the time on my mini-me, on purpose, and have yet to hear an audible clip, and I mean ever!

Daryan
thats good to know ;D  how hot do you usually run it Daryan?
481(3)>722

DaryanLenz

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 02:16:01 PM »
Well, let's see.  I was just transferring wavelab, and I hit at least 20 bounces off the red light last night.  Wavelab reports that I had clips on two occasions and that was all....none of which you can hear, and were most certainly crash cymbal od kick drum hits since I was taping on-stage!   I would say you have a good bit of room to run with the mme.  I usually start at around 12 o clock and work my way down or up within the first 4 minutes or so of music.  I like to get the -2 yellow lights popping fairly frequently, with occasional bounces off of red.  I have jacked the unit all the way up a couple times just to hear what it sounds like on house music etc and still haven't clipped it to the point of me being able to hear it.  I have a fairly decent playback system now, so I would/should hear them if they are there!  How are you liking the mme anyway?  Good match with the 480's?  If you have anymore experience related questions about the mme, feel free to ask!

Daryan

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 02:41:38 PM »
good to know daryan :).  Ye I love the minime, ive only had 4 chances to use it so far but ive definately been happy with just about all the results.  I think its a great match with the 480s so far.  I am going to do a minime/v3 comparison soon and see how that turns out.  Ye sat nights recording doesnt really fit because I recorded a few times before running the mme hotter than this past weekend and didnt get these clip type noises, or at least audible ones.  I have another question though, do you usually check the levels on the dat (cant remember if you switched to jb3 or not) or the mme?  
481(3)>722

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 08:57:17 PM »
i have this same problem with my mme.  Was right at 12 the whole night and i got home and listened to my recording and i had clipping.  How did you resolve this i would like to know
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
    • Homepage
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 07:22:01 AM »
Some things you don't mention:

1) how loud was the venue (acoustic show, rock show)?
2) Any pads on the mics themselves?

One thing I have learned is just because the preamp has headroom doesn't mean you can't overdrive the mics depending on the sensitivity of the microphones.

I tend to run my SR-77 mics with the -20dB pad on the preamp, plus an additional -10 dB using the AT8404 attenuators. The QTC-1 mics which are way more sensitive I run with -20 dB pads on the preamp and -20 on the AT8404 attenuators. Using this much attenuation prior to the preamp stage, I have never had an issue with overdriving any stage of the preamp or A/D. Which is another thing. You never really say what it is you are hearing. Is it distortion, or digital pops from being over 0 dB?

Anyhow, you may want to try to attenuate your signal as well as the cleaning options already offered here.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 09:40:56 AM »
My goodness, what are you running behind those 77s that you need 30 dB of padding? Or better yet, how are your running them? Short of blaring a trumpet directly into the mic diaphragm, I have not been able to clip my rig at unity gain.

-Matt
Out of the game … for now?

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 11:42:29 AM »
My goodness, what are you running behind those 77s that you need 30 dB of padding? Or better yet, how are your running them? Short of blaring a trumpet directly into the mic diaphragm, I have not been able to clip my rig at unity gain.

Actually with the 77s I can get away without the additional 10 dB of padding, but by adding the additional padding I can keep all four channels on my mixer within a pretty close range of each other on the dials. It's more of a safety factor than anything else. It also provides me a much wider range of adjustment when mixing the four channels since it gives me that much more headroom.

Wayne

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2003, 02:47:21 PM »
Some things you don't mention:

1) how loud was the venue (acoustic show, rock show)?
2) Any pads on the mics themselves?

One thing I have learned is just because the preamp has headroom doesn't mean you can't overdrive the mics depending on the sensitivity of the microphones.

I tend to run my SR-77 mics with the -20dB pad on the preamp, plus an additional -10 dB using the AT8404 attenuators. The QTC-1 mics which are way more sensitive I run with -20 dB pads on the preamp and -20 on the AT8404 attenuators. Using this much attenuation prior to the preamp stage, I have never had an issue with overdriving any stage of the preamp or A/D. Which is another thing. You never really say what it is you are hearing. Is it distortion, or digital pops from being over 0 dB?

Anyhow, you may want to try to attenuate your signal as well as the cleaning options already offered here.

Wayne

I don't get this either. I see a lot of people running -20 and -30 pads and I don't see why. I run schoeps which are a hot mic and not once have I ever needed a pad running a mini-me, V2, modsm-1 or V3.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2003, 03:37:51 PM »
the sound was more of a distortion sound (hissing though) thanks for the help fellas, I cleaned the DAT and ever since my recordings have come out good :)
481(3)>722

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2003, 11:44:19 AM »
if you're using that much attenuation before the preamp I'd consider dithcing the preamp all together. seems silly to pad and then boost...
My Attitude Sucks

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2003, 11:50:04 AM »
if you're using that much attenuation before the preamp I'd consider dithcing the preamp all together. seems silly to pad and then boost...

Obviously you've never mixed four channels. There isn't an option NOT to run the mics through a pre-amp when using any ENG style mixer.

Wayne

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2003, 11:58:06 AM »

Obviously you've never mixed four channels. There isn't an option NOT to run the mics through a pre-amp when using any ENG style mixer.

Wayne

obviously I've never mixed with an ENG... don't be a dick, I've mixed 60+ channels thank you very much.

without knowing that you were using an eng mixer you have to admit that it sounds silly to run -30db worth of attenuation and then a preamp.
My Attitude Sucks

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2003, 12:17:08 PM »

obviously I've never mixed with an ENG... don't be a dick, I've mixed 60+ channels thank you very much.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be a dick. Simply pointing out that ENG mixers are very different and those folks in the pro video/movie industry who use these know that. And those folks who are drooling over the SD 722, will soon find that out.

Wayne

Offline gonads

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2003, 08:31:55 PM »
no harm Wayne, sorry didn't mean to jump on you. what model do you use?
My Attitude Sucks

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2003, 10:01:44 PM »
the sound was more of a distortion sound (hissing though) thanks for the help fellas, I cleaned the DAT and ever since my recordings have come out good :)

So it was a dirty head huh?
I've seen and heard of weird things happening with dirty dat heads!
Glad it was that simple of a fix for ya!
Preciate it, Ye that had to be the problem unless my connections werent good ::) well all is well so im happy ;D
481(3)>722

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2003, 09:45:57 AM »
Take the old tape that had the issue and check it errors. If you dont have deck that check errors send it to someone. Make a sample tape of after you cleaned the heads to compare it with. If you havent had pro wet cleaning and alignment done on the machine in a while you should prob get it done. Dat machines should get a real cleaning and alignment on a reg basis(year or year 1/2)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com