Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anti-crowd noise  (Read 6387 times)

Offline porphyry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Grimshaw- the World's First Bootlegger
anti-crowd noise
« on: November 04, 2003, 07:05:49 AM »
ok this refers to a method of recording rather than equipment.

i just got back from a month travelling around europe, during which time i made a hobby out of recording various street buskers with my sony mz-n10 minidisc recorder and mini vivivox stereo mic (T-shaped).

i used to place the minidisc and mic in a jacket pocket because i didn't want to stand there blatantly recording these guys because a) they might pressure me into buying their CDs, or b) they might tell me to fuck off.

i noticed that when i put the gear in my jacket pocket, though, that it cut out not only wind noise but also it drastically reduced the chatter of the crowd. the music, which was slightly 'duller', was still very loud and produced a good signal.

what i'm getting at is, has anyone else experimented with putting mics under a layer of clothes for stealth recordings? cos i hate getting crowd chatter in my concert tapes and i'm looking for ways to solve this problem.

(sorry it took so long to get to the point.)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re:anti-crowd noise
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 08:39:33 AM »
I imagine your clothing acted as a baffle.  Baffling microphone is a way to block out extraneous noise (usually from the sides)...  I think the "Blumlein" mic placement method uses a baffle, but I'm probably mistaken on the name...

However, your method of baffling covers the mic too, it reduces ALL sounds recorded, but as in your case, the music is loud enough that it is not effected very much...  Lucky I guess, cause I have some stealth recordings from "under-collar" and "inside hat" that are way too muffled to be really enjoyable...

I'm wondering about using a concave sound reflective "satellite dish" type attachment to focus sound on the diaphram of a mic.  Pointing a card mic into to "dish", facing backward to the stage...  

But I have no idea, I've only been a taper for a month or so!

Good luck!  And "sweeeet..." on the Euro Tour and street recordings!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 10:51:41 AM »
yeah i've also thought about some sort of dish arrangment, although i don't know how i would make it.

the thing about my jacket is that its thin, dark material... perfect really. i just wonder if the microphones would rub against it when i moved and fuck up the recording... (cos this isnt a problem when you use a mini T-shaped mic)...

i wish people would just shut up at concerts.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 11:02:21 AM »
Try a hat like the Kangol Vent TropicAir.  Mesh cotton up front, doesn't noticably muffle the sound at all, yet mics are totally hidden.  Search for "stealth hat" or "kangol" or some such, there's a whole thread about stealth hats and maybe even a couple pics (though I think the pics I posted are still offline at the moment).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 11:22:02 AM »
I think the "Blumlein" mic placement method uses a baffle, but I'm probably mistaken on the name...

Blumlein is figure 8's x/y crossed at 90 degrees... no baffle.  You may be thinking of the Jecklin Disc - a baffle between spaced omnis.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 10:14:11 PM »
Jeklin, yeah that's it...  

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 05:10:58 AM »
dudes, the dish method sounds interesting, love to get a copy of anything you pull using it

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 07:02:05 PM »
I prefer to yell out that I'm taping, and that I need to have everyone quiet. It really works! hehe

-Jim

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 08:09:43 PM »
i really wish I had had a small recording rig to record some street performers while i was in London in september...  on the tube system they were allowing buskers to legally set up shop in the underground system...  there were some really interesting performers there.

one guy comes to mind, he was playing acoustic Coldplay in this part of the tube station that had incredible natural acoustics...  the sound of him playing Clocks on a 12-string with really impressive vocals would've been nice to have...

Offline porphyry

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 06:56:24 AM »
yeah well recording the buskers in the london tube is my next 'special project' before my last few weeks here are up.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com