Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thoughts on MK012  (Read 6187 times)

Offline chuckcage

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Learning fast...
Thoughts on MK012
« on: November 21, 2003, 02:01:30 PM »
So a while back I picked up a set of MC012s during the GC $99 special.  I figured I'd use them to record my band when I'm using my C1000s onstage on the kit.  

The first few times I used them, I had this really annoying hiss in the recording.  I finally got around last week to recording a bunch of samples to see which mic (/capsule/body) was bad.  I talked GC into exchanging it, and the other night I recorded another of my performances with them.

(Interestingly, the one I got as a replacement says MK012, and their computer listed the MC012 as "discontinued."  I realize these are the same mics, but I wonder if later ones have better quality control than the early ones.  The replacement I got seems WAY more solid than the one it replaced.)

You know, I really like the sound of these mics, but I just can't get over how muddy the low end is.  If it was just for a little cleaner low end, I think these would be my primary mics instead of the C1000s.  

I hear lots of people saying "the Oktavas are WAY better than the C1000s," but I'd be interested in what detailed experiences everyone's had (positive and negative) with the 012s.

Chuck
---
Currently:
C1000s/MK012 > PB224 > AD-20 > NJB3

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re:Thoughts on MK012
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 02:40:44 PM »
I'm on team Oktava. I've also got a pair of Josephson/MBHO's as well. This last weekend I recorded Mule/Phil at the Fillmore using Oktava's Friday and the MBHO's Saturday. I liked my Oktava (hyper) recordings better. I'm always amazed at the sound of these microphones. Especially the hyper-cardioid capsules. Don't let anyone tell you the Oktava's are inferior microphones. Quality control is/was an issue, but if you get a good set, they hold up very well against many others.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 05:27:47 PM »
i'm very happy with mine.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline wbaldwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • giddyup!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 11:41:41 AM »
I lovemine too, haven't made any, what I would call bad tapes.....  when the recording situation lended itself to producing a good one, if that makes any sense.

I'm listening to the Chris Robinson and New Earth Mud from Tampa right now, and I think it sounds fabulous :yahoo:

I also agree that the hypers generally rock, but for the MULE and NEM I used the cards....

Offline Tim

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2003, 11:51:53 AM »
I'm on team Oktava. I've also got a pair of Josephson/MBHO's as well. This last weekend I recorded Mule/Phil at the Fillmore using Oktava's Friday and the MBHO's Saturday. I liked my Oktava (hyper) recordings better. I'm always amazed at the sound of these microphones. Especially the hyper-cardioid capsules. Don't let anyone tell you the Oktava's are inferior microphones. Quality control is/was an issue, but if you get a good set, they hold up very well against many others.

I'd guess that the quality differences you heard had more to do with hyper v. card than oktava v. mbho. Maybe not though...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nicaragua

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2003, 12:46:27 PM »
I actually made the switch from c1000s to oktava.... i really love the sound of the oktava's but i don't really think they are amazingly superior to the c1000s....actually my main beef w/the akg's is that they are so freaking huge!  seriously they look like light sabres.  

so in short they are both quality mics
currently reassembling my rig due to theft by Greyhound Bus Inc employees.

Offline Nicaragua

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2003, 12:53:28 PM »
oh yeah, i'm not real sure if the MK012 have any better quality control than MC012(i have MK's)

anyone ever have a problem like mine last night?  you know how you have to screw in the screws to open the mic body? well one of them screws mangaged to screw itself all the way inside.  you could hear it rattling around the inside.  if that screw touched something else inside everytime it would short out

getting into the mic body was a whole other story.  first i had to find a screwdrive that would fit in the tiny holes(ended up using a knife)  then i realize one of the screw heads had broken off.  well i eventually got that sucker open and got the rattler out, now everythings back to normal
currently reassembling my rig due to theft by Greyhound Bus Inc employees.

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 12:16:12 AM »
im makin the switch as we speak ;) ;)

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 01:30:29 AM »
i dont use mine in the live venue but for drum overheads and they are a greaet throw around all purpose mic.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com