Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Self-hacking for UA5 (OPA2134 opamp?)  (Read 5209 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Self-hacking for UA5 (OPA2134 opamp?)
« on: November 29, 2004, 10:23:23 PM »
Has anyone out there hacked their own UA5?

I'm thinking of replacing the mic preamp (surface mount chip, 4580 I think) with an OPA2134.
Would that help?  In particular, I notice a fair bit of noise when I turn the gain up high.

Also, does anyone have opinions on the OPA134?  I know the INA217 is the professional chip, but I'm looking at the OPA134 for a battery powered preamp as well.  This is for something running off a single 9V battery.  It is also pin compatable with the other opamp chips so I want to start here.

Thanks,
  Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Self-hacking for UA5 (OPA2134 opamp?)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 10:43:37 PM »
I am in the process of doing this exact swap. I have the ICs and now just need to find the time to do the work. The ICs that are in my UA5 are 4570s and the install is a simple swap. These are a much better op amp than what is in the unit. Should provide less noise and tighter punchier bass. I will be posting results when I am done. I will also be changing a bunch of the capacitors in the near future.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 11:09:45 PM »

I'm thinking of replacing the mic preamp (surface mount chip, 4580 I think) with an OPA2134.
Would that help?  In particular, I notice a fair bit of noise when I turn the gain up high.

Also, does anyone have opinions on the OPA134?  I know the INA217 is the professional chip, but I'm looking at the OPA134 for a battery powered preamp as well.  This is for something running off a single 9V battery.  It is also pin compatable with the other opamp chips so I want to start here.

Thanks,
  Richard

Where did you get the idea to do this? How did you arrive at your choice of the op-amp?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »

Thanks,
  Richard

Where did you get the idea to do this? How did you arrive at your choice of the op-amp?

OK, whoever does this first, please post here!  I haven't actually looked at the insides yet, so I don't even know which one of the Opamps is for the mics.  I think one is for the phantom circuit too, so be careful to get the right one.

To answer your question, I heard about Oade's mods and thought, why not try it myself.  I've also got a parallel (now stalled) project to build a simple 9V preamp box, so that's why I'm interested in the OPA134.  It seems to have good performance and reasonably low DC power requirements.  Oh yeah, someone on this board suggested getting samples from TI, so that's what I did.  There may be other opamps (AD, etc) that work too.

So far I've only done one successful mod.  I replaced the LM358 opamp in a Griffin iMic with a LMV722.  I'm not sure it made any difference, but for some reason I couldn't resist the urge to mess with it.  In case anyone is wondering, one trick I discovered was to use glue (epoxy) to hold the chip in position before soldering it.  Otherwise you will not get all the pins lined up.

By the way, I'm running AT853 mics (powered from a 9V battery).

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 12:00:46 AM »
I am in the process of doing this exact swap. I have the ICs and now just need to find the time to do the work. The ICs that are in my UA5 are 4570s and the install is a simple swap. These are a much better op amp than what is in the unit. Should provide less noise and tighter punchier bass. I will be posting results when I am done. I will also be changing a bunch of the capacitors in the near future.

Dear Bussman,

Hmm.  I just looked at the specs.  I'm not sure that the OPA134 is much better than the 4570 after all.  The 4570 seems to have less noise, but the the OPA seems to (?) have less distortion.  By the way I put both spec sheets on my webpage.  I put up the 4570 since I had to search a bit to find it.  Anyway, here they are:
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/uPC4570.pdf
  www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~mannr/OPA134.pdf

Richard

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 10:41:28 AM »
FYI,

Even the Oade W-modified has noise issues when the rear line-in gain pot is turned up. (starts around 3 o'clock on the dial).

ANDY

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 10:56:16 AM »
FYI,

Even the Oade W-modified has noise issues when the rear line-in gain pot is turned up. (starts around 3 o'clock on the dial).

ANDY

I'm guessing the PLus Mod fixes that...  Improves RCA inputs, Phantom, and DC power...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 04:12:25 PM »
Start with the op amps, and I mean all of them, then move onto trhe capicitors, changing out the crap caps for much better, higher rated value caps...panasonic caps usually work.  I will take a look at the guts of the thing from the pictures and see what I come up with when I get home.

D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 04:17:02 PM »
the caps in the unit are Panasonic already. You need to change them to film caps to make it worth it.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2004, 07:28:16 PM »
What are the values of the caps in there at the moment?
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 08:14:35 PM »
What are the values of the caps in there at the moment?

The DC blocking caps in pre-amps are usually 100mf 50v.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

BobW

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 12:43:38 AM »
Analog Devices, but the good stuff ain't cheap.
Or all that easy.
Good luck, and e-mail me if you get something worked out.

BTW, hotglue gun is the faster way to tack the SMDs before soldering.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 02:13:42 AM »
BTW, hotglue gun is the faster way to tack the SMDs before soldering.

And MUCH EASIER to clean up than epoxy if you need to remove the SMD again...

Epoxy?  That's a permanant solution...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com