Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: level meter for JB3  (Read 6289 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: level meter for JB3
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 12:38:41 AM »
I had no idea they were that cheap. To be perfectly honest there is a company that makes electronic level meter kits, I think that is what the company you mentioned is using, they cost about $40.00. I was going to use a kit to save time / money and just re-calibrate it and use better quality componets. its very time consuming because you have to drill all the holes for the led's and all that jazz it would be atleast 1.5 hours of labor +$40 kit + shipping for kit + case for meter  + input and output jacks that are NOT RCA at $129.00 I am not going to be ritch selling them at that price.

Chris Church

and if the svu1 isn't made, you can still grab them on ebay for aroudn $75
i recommend guygraphics

FWIW, B&H has the SVU-1 listed as in stock at $70, so even if GG is out, there's an option.  And the SVU-2 - according to Beachtek's website - is still a current product, available from Guy Graphics for $95.

I am going to be making one for $129.99 in the next month it will be available for sale.

In light of the above, you may want to re-consider pricing, etc.  Then again, maybe not if it's a superior, higher quality product.  FWIW...

My vote is for your combined (3-wire, dual miniXLR) battery box/preamp.  You've got a winner there, and noone else seems to be selling this either.  My only suggestion is to put a "pigtail" miniplug on the output to reduce the number of connectors.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »
A pigtail on the preamp or the VU meter? I do not put one on the preamp because, if the pig tail breaks your out a preamp. I think using cheap molded ends suck, you can not repair the end in the field you have to replace it. That is why we never used pigtail ends they do break where the cable connects into the preamp. Since we only use mogami wire that is 2.2 mm OD its hard to find a clamp that works well for that size wire. Other companys use what I can only call cheap cable some of them actually use a UNSHEILEDED cable I am not going to name names!  We did make an oem preamp for a company called Fel Electronics in the UK they still sell them, that is the only time we ever made a preamp with a pig tail. We want a product that is going to last and feel that a pig tail makes the product unreliable, and hey would you not want to be able to run a 10 foot cable on the output or a 2 inch cable? to suit your needs. With right angle connectors it seems the argument of the connector sticking out is lost.
Lets face it its cheaper for me to buy cheap cable with a molded plug and then drill a hole and solder it on. Then to put another switchcraft jack on my preamp circuit board. I do not build a product from the standpoint of easy to build I build it so I never have to see it for repair.

Chris Church

I had no idea they were that cheap. To be perfectly honest there is a company that makes electronic level meter kits, I think that is what the company you mentioned is using, they cost about $40.00. I was going to use a kit to save time / money and just re-calibrate it and use better quality componets. its very time consuming because you have to drill all the holes for the led's and all that jazz it would be atleast 1.5 hours of labor +$40 kit + shipping for kit + case for meter  + input and output jacks that are NOT RCA at $129.00 I am not going to be ritch selling them at that price.

Chris Church

i recommend guygraphics

FWIW, B&H has the SVU-1 listed as in stock at $70, so even if GG is out, there's an option.  And the SVU-2 - according to Beachtek's website - is still a current product, available from Guy Graphics for $95.

I am going to be making one for $129.99 in the next month it will be available for sale.

In light of the above, you may want to re-consider pricing, etc.  Then again, maybe not if it's a superior, higher quality product.  FWIW...

My vote is for your combined (3-wire, dual miniXLR) battery box/preamp.  You've got a winner there, and noone else seems to be selling this either.  My only suggestion is to put a "pigtail" miniplug on the output to reduce the number of connectors.

Richard

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 02:28:29 PM »
A pigtail on the preamp or the VU meter? I do not put one on the preamp because, if the pig tail breaks your out a preamp. I think using cheap molded ends suck, you can not repair the end in the field you have to replace it. That is why we never used pigtail ends they do break where the cable connects into the preamp. Since we only use mogami wire that is 2.2 mm OD its hard to find a clamp that works well for that size wire. Other companys use what I can only call cheap cable some of them actually use a UNSHEILEDED cable I am not going to name names!  We did make an oem preamp for a company called Fel Electronics in the UK they still sell them, that is the only time we ever made a preamp with a pig tail. We want a product that is going to last and feel that a pig tail makes the product unreliable, and hey would you not want to be able to run a 10 foot cable on the output or a 2 inch cable? to suit your needs. With right angle connectors it seems the argument of the connector sticking out is lost.
Lets face it its cheaper for me to buy cheap cable with a molded plug and then drill a hole and solder it on. Then to put another switchcraft jack on my preamp circuit board. I do not build a product from the standpoint of easy to build I build it so I never have to see it for repair.

Chris Church

Chris Church

i recommend guygraphics

Richard

Hey, good points!  I know what you're talking about quality-wise.  A lot of cable out there is neither shielded nor robust.

OK, how about putting a pair of RCA (female) connectors on the box then?  Then you can use a standard dual-rca-m to mini-stereo-male 'home stereo' cable.  The user can replace this.  I'm going to start doing this on my battery boxes, since RCA plugs seem more robust than mini jacks.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2006, 03:58:32 PM »
To hijack the thread, does anyone have any input on HobbyTron? http://www.hobbytron.com/index.html

Looks like they have a couple of alternatives to the BeachTec SVUs on the Electronics, Audio Equipment page http://www.hobbytron.com/AudioEquipment.html

Chris, are these the same kits you were referencing about upgrading?

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2006, 12:24:26 AM »
Yes there are a few kits out there this company makes a 15 led version with .05% accuracy for $40.00 i dont know how well it would run on a 9 volt I was going to put it on a momentary switch or a spst so that you can lock it on or hit the momentary to see in a stealth situation with a dimmer.

Chris Church 

To hijack the thread, does anyone have any input on HobbyTron? http://www.hobbytron.com/index.html

Looks like they have a couple of alternatives to the BeachTec SVUs on the Electronics, Audio Equipment page http://www.hobbytron.com/AudioEquipment.html

Chris, are these the same kits you were referencing about upgrading?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com