Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Compression?  (Read 6483 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Compression?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »
a free "mastering" Compressor everyone here should own is this:

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
I'd be much more inclined to use volume automation over compression on most show recordings.  Combine with a limiter that is hardly/barely touched to set an absolute ceiling. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
I personally find automation to be significantly less natural than a well set comp/limiter for stuff like this. Just personal preference though.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2018, 08:49:38 PM »
Tried it and didn't like the results. Ears told me that some subtlety was lost by compressing. I don't mind quiet/loud that's how the show was played and that's what I want to hear.

Well, "compressing" and "compressing well" aren't necessarily the same thing  ;D

FU Simpson. 😀 but yeah I didn’t exactly put a lot of effort into it.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2018, 11:48:10 PM »
Tried it and didn't like the results. Ears told me that some subtlety was lost by compressing. I don't mind quiet/loud that's how the show was played and that's what I want to hear.

Well, "compressing" and "compressing well" aren't necessarily the same thing  ;D

FU Simpson. 😀 but yeah I didn’t exactly put a lot of effort into it.

Haha, no offense intended! It can take some trial and error.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 03:39:37 AM »

I personally find automation to be significantly less natural than a well set comp/limiter for stuff like this. Just personal preference though.
Micro or macro?

I do little bitty (well under one second most of the time) volume fixes with the envelope tool and it's brutal but effective.
I also do broad fixes with the envelope tool (Audacity is my main DAW software) and find it super useful.

I do my final limiting with an automated plugin, but I get things pretty tight and consistent before I do that.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline EmRR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »

Hmmm, I might guess it's in how you use either one.  I'm used to automating volume down to the syllable level on vocal tracks before feeding them into a compressor.  Much much less on program material like a live show 2 track.  Limiter touching the errant peaks there.   There are devices that are AGC's (automatic gain control) which react more slowly than most compressors, and also crossover into expansion from compression, so the threshold is more of a center line.  I'm not aware of any software AGC's, but there must be some. 
Mics: DPA 4060 w/MPS 6030 PSU/DAD6001/DAD4099, Neumann KM 131, Oktava MK 012, Sennheiser MKH 105, MKH 20, MKH 30, MKH 40, MKH 800 TWIN
Recorders: Zoom F8n, Sony MZ-R50

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »

Micro or macro?

I do little bitty (well under one second most of the time) volume fixes with the envelope tool and it's brutal but effective.
I also do broad fixes with the envelope tool (Audacity is my main DAW software) and find it super useful.

I do my final limiting with an automated plugin, but I get things pretty tight and consistent before I do that.

It's more context than micro vs macro. In multis, sure. I just don't like hearing the entire thing go up and down. I find a well set limiter to be way more transparent (I'm also kinda lazy)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 04:12:47 PM »
I find a well set limiter to be way more transparent (I'm also kinda lazy)

Lazy is such a harsh word - perhaps you mean that you are really into time management?

An overweight friend of mine says "If you wanna know the easiest way to do something, ask a fat guy!"
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 10:32:57 PM »
I find a well set limiter to be way more transparent (I'm also kinda lazy)

Lazy is such a harsh word - perhaps you mean that you are really into time management?

An overweight friend of mine says "If you wanna know the easiest way to do something, ask a fat guy!"

haha we could say that.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com