Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Former taper seeks advice on hi-rez recorders  (Read 7384 times)

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
Former taper seeks advice on hi-rez recorders
« on: September 08, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
Hi,

I'm in the market for a 2-channel portable recorder and having difficulty navigating the myriad of available gear. I used to tape shows w/ my DA-P1 DAT deck & I'm good w/ mics, pre & a/d --- just need assistance w/ the digital recorder. I was hoping a few of youse guys could point me in the right direction if I provided some of the features I'm looking for? Budget for the recorder peaks around $1K & hoping to find a unit w/ these features:

1. s/pdif  input.
2. compatible w/ after market (outboard) battery pack(s)
3. compatible w/ after market memory cards, sticks (or whatever they're called) for extended recording time.not
3. able to record at 24/96 for at least 120 minutes - prolly determined by #2 & #3?
4. reliable & user-friendly.  i want to capture shows, not take on an IT project  :-)

Again, just need a 2-channel unit that can accept an s/pdif feed. Not concerned w/ the unit's a/d section, or phantom power for mics.

Thanks!

Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Former taper seeks advice on hi-rez recorders
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 03:30:45 AM »
Sony PCM-D50.  Has an optical S/PDIF input, which is something that most small handheld recorders don't have.  A/D sounds really good in it as well if you don't feel like using an outboard box.  You need to use the Sony memory cards, but they are only like $15 more than SD cards.  Throw a 16GB card in there and you have 16 hours of continuous recording at 24/96.  Also runs for like 12 hours on 4 AA batteries so you don't even need an external battery pack.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:34:27 AM »
The original Fostex FR-2 is also a good unit - though the digital input is AES3 rather than S-PDIF - but you can plug an S-PDIF signal into AES3 OK.

Though, with a $1k budget, I would seriously consider extending it and going for the Sound Devices 702 - especially if you are in the USA where they are much cheaper.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
We frequently refer to your requirement as a "bit bucket".  All the processing is done upstream, you just need something to catch the bits.  Below are some models all under $1k.

These are models with a good reputation for reliability.   If you are buying new, 661 is probably the one to go with.  The others are fine if you can get a good deal on a used one, but I probably wouldn't buy one new.
- Marantz PMD661 (newer, compact), takes SD cards.
- Marantz PMD671 (larger model, a few years old), takes CF cards
- Tascam HD-P2, takes CF cards

The Edirol R44 will do 4 tracks, and the Tascam 680 will do 8.  You may not care about that now, but many people like the ability to do AUD + SBD mixes at home afterward, and you would be ready if you want to do that later.

There are some M-Audio Multitrack and MT2 models.  Attractively priced, but some people have had reliability issues, I'll leave it at that.

2 hours of 24/96 won't quite fit on a 4gb card.  You need an 8gb card, and those are readily available.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »
Tascam HD-P2's show up on ebay about 1 every 2 weeks and sell at anywhere from $350-450 used depending on what's included and condition.

There are one out there right now.

One just sold for $378 in Mint with bag, box, and all original accessories except the strap.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:05:58 PM by H²O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:04 AM »
I have a P2...  I love it...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:24 PM »
IMO you should buy a used D50 or P2. 

D50's go from anywhere between $300 and 400 used
P2's go from anywhere between about $350 and $450 used

D50 has optical in, unbalanced input on 1/8" jack, very small, 44.1,48,96 Sample Rates
P2 has COAX in/out, wordclock, balanced input on XLR for analog, supports 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 Khz Sample Rates, same size as a DA-P1
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:57 PM »
I would get a Sony D-50 and be done with it. It can handle an OPTICAL INPUT, and is small and compact. Also, gets better battery times than most handheld bit buckets :)

If you dont mind about size, I would save up an extra $200 or so and get a Sound Devices 702 ;) I owned a 722 and LOVED IT, but I have gotten small handheld recorders in the past year, and HAVE NOT looked back about my old 722. I LOVE having such a small and compact, yet POWERFUL setup I now have :) So its really up to you. Do you want a full-sized deck like the 702, or do you want something compact and easy to use ??? :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline One Cylinder

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd go with the D50 in a second, but I'm not too keen on its digi-input being optical. I anticipate using an outboard a/d for all my taping and most of the high end units don't have an optical output. In addition, the connectors on optical cables seem so fragile. I fear the cable would come loose or one of the ends would break if I was running my gear in a tight space - FOB, stealth, etc.
Schoeps MK4(x2) MK21(x2)
Schoeps CMC6(x4) CMC1K(x2)
Sonosax SX-M2, Grace Design ACM Lunatec V3
Roland OCM R-44

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
For a little over half your budget the Marantz PMD661 is a solid unit which has coaxial digital input, it's compact and also has p48 mic/line inputs with durable xlr connectors.  It will run on external battery takes SDHC cards.  The unit is about the same physical size/price as a D50 but with better features imho.

If you want to spend more on a 2 track there is Marantz PMD671 or a Sound Devices 702 both could be found within your budget.  Also within budget is the Tascam HD-P2.  These units are all larger with similar form factors.

However, I'll second the forward thinking logic of a 4 track like Roland R44 though since it is within your budget.  You'll be able to make SBD/Mic matrix recordings or run 2 sets of mics.  It also has 4 p48 mic/line inputs with xlr connectors. Has coaxial digital input and will run on a reverse polarity external battery.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:28:33 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »
^^ I'm with DigiGal on this.  For 2-track recording, the Marantz PMD661 fits your requirements pretty much to a "T". 
For 4-track, the Edirol R-44 has you covered.  I've had one for nearly three years and haven't had a hiccup with it; rock solid.

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »
If you are looking for  a multi track the Tascam DR-680 is the way to go.

When consulting with Busman, about the R-44 vs DR680 he confirmed that the stock out of the box pres in the 680 are very nice (cleaner than the R44's). Though he does mod them to make them cleaner, he advised me to wait until I had the cash for the 680. also mentioned that there can often be some B-Stock units available for less.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 05:45:35 PM »
The Tascam DR-680 is a solid multi-track recorder that is capable of excellent pulls.  However, the primary thing that has me push the R-44 over the DR-680 is the number of people that have had issues with getting the 680's S/PDIF input to work correctly.  As the OP's first listed criteria for the deck is the reliable digi input, I think it's something to take into consideration.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
The Tascam DR-680 is a solid multi-track recorder that is capable of excellent pulls.  However, the primary thing that has me push the R-44 over the DR-680 is the number of people that have had issues with getting the 680's S/PDIF input to work correctly.  As the OP's first listed criteria for the deck is the reliable digi input, I think it's something to take into consideration.

FTFY  ;)  The 680 is a nice tool, but if my first criterion was "reliable", I would describe a deck that has as many published reports on here of problems as this thing has as pretty much being the opposite of that.  :P  Not to mention that I don't find it terribly "user friendly" to use compared to the simpler Edirol and Marantz designs.  It's the best choice if you need up to 8 channels (assuming the S/PDIF works, which on ours, it finally does).  If you only want stereo, as the OP suggests, it makes no sense.

For stereo with coax digi-in I don't know why you wouldn't go with the 661.  And yes, if I were going to spend more dough after that, I'd get the Sound Devices 702 in a heartbeat.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »
^^ I'm with DigiGal on this.  For 2-track recording, the Marantz PMD661 fits your requirements pretty much to a "T". 
For 4-track, the Edirol R-44 has you covered.  I've had one for nearly three years and haven't had a hiccup with it; rock solid.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.586 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com