Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HELP NEWBIE with MIC  (Read 15208 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: HELP NEWBIE with MIC
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 10:02:44 AM »
I've experimented extensively with baffled omnis for a long time now.  I've only modified a technique that was created by Jurg Jecklin - Jecklin Disc.  His technique has extremely stringent and unbending parameters, requiring a 12" disc, and a particular type of omnidirectional microphone.  So I went about seeing how far I could push those parameters, starting in the mid 80's with an artificial head binaural stereo microphone kit.
 I eventually moved towards the baffles as a means of replacing the head, while still maintaining the qualities that it gave me, especially as I evolved away from true binaural, and moved towards a quasi-binural, baffled omnis study.

In addition to the Jecklin disc, there's a Schneider disc.  A rounded bump in the middle, instead of just a flat disc.  Not that I'll ever use these things much myself.  I tend to favor outdoor style recording.  And with wind issues having a 12" kite is not desired.  Plus other live concert issues where a mic stand is offensive enough, throw in a fuzzy billboard on top and ticket sales quickly become more important than recording the event.  Even if it's just perceived ticket sales, and not actual ticket sales.

As far as tape, I prefer digital.  Most playback systems these days use digital media.  And with SACD and DSD options, what used to set tape apart from the rest is not as dramatic as it once was.  And once you have a digital version, copies are easy to make, and degredation is no longer an issue.  Perfect copies every time (depending on the delivery medium anyway).  Tape is also problematic in humid conditions.  And because there are moving parts, that motor noise becomes part of the recording in some cases.  And with 1TB HDDs being < $100, you can't even justify tape based on costs anymore.

more alternate baffles:
Round Nerf balls and Nerf footballs. People have reported good results using either of these.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com