Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Professionals Audio Technica premium cards?  (Read 11697 times)

Offline gruven42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Professionals Audio Technica premium cards?
« on: February 17, 2004, 11:19:29 AM »
I have searched this site for the information I am seeking and did not find anything.

Hello, I was looking to get some stealth mics and I came across Sound Professionals Audio Technica premium cards. They offer two models: AT853 (http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/addinfo/AT853Rx.pdf) and the "slimline" AT ES943 (http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/addinfo/ES943_C.pdf). The slimlines run $70 more than the standards and are 3.6 mm narrower.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

I'd be running them into my UA5 (yep, gonna try it), so it raises the Maximum Input Sound Level to 138 dB on both models. The freq response graph looks to be about the same, except on the 853, the bass drops off at 60 Hz, although both their claimed response goes down to 30.
RIP, my taping career: 10/10/2003-10/6/2007

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Sound Professionals Audio Technica premium cards?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 12:09:28 PM »
I have searched this site for the information I am seeking and did not find anything.

Hello, I was looking to get some stealth mics and I came across Sound Professionals Audio Technica premium cards. They offer two models: AT853 (http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/addinfo/AT853Rx.pdf) and the "slimline" AT ES943 (http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/addinfo/ES943_C.pdf). The slimlines run $70 more than the standards and are 3.6 mm narrower.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

I'd be running them into my UA5 (yep, gonna try it), so it raises the Maximum Input Sound Level to 138 dB on both models. The freq response graph looks to be about the same, except on the 853, the bass drops off at 60 Hz, although both their claimed response goes down to 30.

using the samson power modules from SP's website it can be done, but why not get the AT853 or AT943 mics with IN-LINE power modules straight from an AT dealer whom doesn't modify the mics? Sure it's a little more, but wouldn't you be satisfied and more comforted to know that it WILL work instead of HOPING it works with your UA-5, like with the SP setup?

I have had experience with only the CMC-2's and have had no problems when NOT using an outboard preamp.  Nick Gregory might be able to tell you more about his problems with the CMC-4's.  As for the 8's, I haven't heard of any problems.  My recommendation is still to get the unmodified AT853Rx mics, not the mics from SP.  Possible retailers are sonicsense.com, zzsounds.com, micsupply.com....

I hope you found some valuable information lodged somewhere in that shameless fluff

~schwills

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 12:51:20 PM »
It all depends on what you are taping.  The SP 853 models worked well for me with outside shows, where the loud bass was not overpowering.  However, for shows where I was either (1)  inside an arena for a loud, bassy show, or (2)outside close to a bass cabinet (which was head level), I would get distortion....I think the 9V powering method that SP uses does not allow the 853 mics to take advantage of the full range available to them, and thus the SPL overloading I experienced.

But that being said, keep in mind what you are recording....they perform pretty well for the shows that were not bassy, so to speak.

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 01:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Schwillberitis, what I meant by "trying" the UA5 is that I'd "try" to stealth it. I've heard people say it's tough because it's not the smallest piece of equip, but it's also not too large to fit in a large jacket pocket or something.

I'm very sure the mics will work with my UA-5, since it supplies 48V Phantom power, and the mics can handle 11-52V.

Thanks for the advice, nick. Yeah, SP rated the 853s at only 125dB using the batt box, but AT rates them at 138dB when Phantom powered.

140/LC3 / MP-2 / Kind / Oade LS Mod SBM-1 / 7pin-opti / JB3 / D7 | SGE 100 / A27M / Manfrotto Black Stacker / Kata Koala-1 | 391/3/actives / c1000 / UA5 (P-Mod)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »
you have to be careful though, the SP versions of those mics are wired differntly than the AT version and as a result, running anything over 9V to them may fry them.

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 01:25:58 PM »
Well, as an add-on package, they offer "the Phantom power adapter kit. This will allow you to use the mics with "plug in power", a battery module (as in option 1) or with 9-52v Phantom power which is available on many professional mixers, mic preamps and recorders. When powered with Phantom power, the dynamic range and maximum SPL (sound pressure level) are increased even further (see specs below). The phantom power kit includes two phantom power adapters (Samson PM-4) and two high quality gold plated cable adapters as shown in the picture below."

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=120&item=SP-CMC-8&type=store

So, it should be fine. I think they just rewire it so there's a gold mini-plug instead of inline XLRs.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 01:37:07 PM »
supposedly, with the power modules from SP, they can be run with 48V.  It's similar to the mod leegeddy did minus the mini-xlr connections.  I'm not sure how this affects the SPL rating, though.

But let's take a minute...
the CMC-4's are $170, then you still need to add the $100 power adapter kit (power modules) to get it to jive correctly with your ua-5, now you are getting up to the price of stock AT mics.  The stock AT mics already come WITH the AT modules in-line that were specifically made for the particular model (whichever you pick).

Maybe the adapter kit SP offers is a viable setup.  Nick, you can even try that out before plunking down the scrilla for the Rx's.  But I know where I'd put my money (if I had it).

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 01:46:04 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking about that, BUT the reason I like the SPs deal, is that if I wanted, I could forgoe the UA5 and plug the mics straight into my D7, OR buy a batt box and use that. I like the opportunity for more options.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 01:50:10 PM »
you can do the same with the AT853a model but I see your point.

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 01:59:49 PM »
It all depends on what you are taping.  The SP 853 models worked well for me with outside shows, where the loud bass was not overpowering.  However, for shows where I was either (1)  inside an arena for a loud, bassy show, or (2)outside close to a bass cabinet (which was head level), I would get distortion....I think the 9V powering method that SP uses does not allow the 853 mics to take advantage of the full range available to them, and thus the SPL overloading I experienced.

But that being said, keep in mind what you are recording....they perform pretty well for the shows that were not bassy, so to speak.

I had the exact same experience. The SP vers of the 853s worked great for coffeehouse, singer-songwriter stuff and outdoor stuff.  However, in some loud bars, I'd have issues, and don't even think about mic'ing the stack. It's not just bass, either.  I have a completely unusable recording of an acoustic singer-songwriter duo that's distorted when I was maybe 10 feet back from the PA.  It was just that loud.  Of course, that was the same night I spilled a glass of wine on my JB3....

The SP version definitely have their place, and are a good mic for the price point.  However, the AT version of the mics perform much better.

J

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 02:03:27 PM »
Maybe the adapter kit SP offers is a viable setup.  Nick, you can even try that out before plunking down the scrilla for the Rx's.  But I know where I'd put my money (if I had it).

Damnit man, will you quit doggin' my sale?!!!!!

Hah. J/K.  I haven't seen the SP option for providing phantom power to these mics.  Might be cool to have the flexibility.  However, the AT power modules have switchable bass rolloff built in (150Hz, 6dB/octave) and it comes with a metal hanger. I mean, c'mon, what more could you want than A METAL HANGER!!!! :)

J

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 02:16:51 PM »

Damnit man, will you quit doggin' my sale?!!!!!

Don't worry, sale is already made  ;D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 02:22:12 PM »
;D wasn't intentional, just an option.  Go Nick! still want the discs?

Offline gruven42

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 02:22:32 PM »
I had the exact same experience. The SP vers of the 853s worked great for coffeehouse, singer-songwriter stuff and outdoor stuff.  However, in some loud bars, I'd have issues, and don't even think about mic'ing the stack. It's not just bass, either.  I have a completely unusable recording of an acoustic singer-songwriter duo that's distorted when I was maybe 10 feet back from the PA.  It was just that loud.  Of course, that was the same night I spilled a glass of wine on my JB3....

The SP version definitely have their place, and are a good mic for the price point.  However, the AT version of the mics perform much better.

J

So, you tried the SP mics with a UA5 and they still overloaded?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 02:23:40 PM »
;D wasn't intentional, just an option.  Go Nick! still want the discs?

I was going to email you...dont worry about the discs...thanks though...mind is already made up

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com