Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.  (Read 12920 times)

Offline RossHendry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Semi-Newbie needs a recomendation on mics.
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2004, 07:50:21 PM »
I'm looking at open taping for the moment, so that I can play about and learn the ropes in the open before I have to do it blind!  

I'm sure there are some good things available on ebay but it's finding the good stuff on ebay.co.uk that's the problem.  I've managed to find the B5s on a couple of UK sites but they're asking ~$140 per mic!  Thanks to the strong pound/weak dollar at the mo, even if I get import taxed it'll still work out cheaper to get stuff shipped over.  

Currently, I'm looking at getting a reasonable cheap setup, keeping it fun before I start buying the expensive shit.  Hence I'll be leaving out the pre-amp (that's different to the phantom power, right?) and using the controls on my JB3.  

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2004, 08:28:19 PM »
I'll throw my experience as a newbie, RossHenry. I bought a used UA5 off of ebay, but it took me almost 2 months until I found one at a good low price. I have been patching for a short while now. But, I like the idea of the Beringer B5 set-up. I think it may be a great as a beginner set up. Check ebay for stands. They is a group from Texas (I think) that has 10' stands and 13' stands, which run $48 for 13'. I see myself going to 8th Street music for the B5 set up in Philly after vacation in a few weeks  8)
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2004, 02:20:47 AM »

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2004, 08:50:55 AM »
I've got a 6' stand at the moment as I've mostly been trying to do a mate's band who play in pubs.  Next planned gig is SCI but I guess I'll just have to angle the mics upwards a bit.  

I noticed that SpeshulEd posted a link to the Superlux mics at $140.  Is it worth the extra $20 for the Behringers?  Would I be able to hear a difference?

At the moment, I'm looking at (Behringer | Superlux) > MTR PPS-2 > JB3.

Presumably, I'll also need an XLR > mini jack cable for going into the JB3?

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2004, 09:20:40 AM »
you will need to choose a preamp that has an optical out.

Run an optical cable from the preamp to the jb3. (the jb3 only has an optical input)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2004, 09:40:27 AM »
you will need to choose a preamp that has an optical out.

Run an optical cable from the preamp to the jb3. (the jb3 only has an optical input)

Not true in the first case, and not possible in the second.

Preamps are analog devices, they don't have digital outputs.  Analog to digital converters (ADCs) provide the digital signal to our recorders.  If you're using an outboard ADC with your NJB3, you'll need either:

[1] an ADC which outputs an optical signal
[2] a digital format converter to convert your ADCs coax S/PDIF or AES/EBU signal into an optical signal.

Two good digital format converter options are the Hosa ODL-276 (coax <-> optical converter) and ODL-312 (AES/EBU <-> optical converter)

Alternatively, you can simply use the ADC in your NJB3.  In which case, you would need adapters to go from the analog output of your preamp (likely XLR) to the 3.5mm stereo analog input of the NJB3.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2004, 09:44:47 AM »
At the moment I'm just going to be using the onboard amp and ADC as I'm running close to the "this hobby's getting too expensive" line as it is!  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2004, 09:49:10 AM »
At the moment I'm just going to be using the onboard amp and ADC as I'm running close to the "this hobby's getting too expensive" line as it is!  

You may find the NJB3's mic-in a bit too noisy for your tastes.  Simple solution to consider:  add a couple line transformers (~$40/pr) between your phantom power supply and your NJB3 to boost the signal and run line-in on the NJB3.
Roland R-05

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »
That sounds like a solution.  Here's a newbie question though, if I'm mixing the output from the PS from twin XLR to stereo mini jack, would I only need one transformers or should I boost the signal to line level and then mix to stereo jack?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2004, 10:24:39 AM »
That sounds like a solution.  Here's a newbie question though, if I'm mixing the output from the PS from twin XLR to stereo mini jack, would I only need one transformers or should I boost the signal to line level and then mix to stereo jack?

Use two - one for each channel.  Your chain will look something like this:

XLR outs of phantom power source >
2 x ( XLR line transformers in / 1/4" mono out ) >
2 x 1/4" mono / 3.5mm stereo mini adapter

I used and liked the Hosa MIT-176 line transformers - inexpensive, sound good, and I found the pigtail style flexible.
Roland R-05

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2004, 12:04:00 PM »
thanks for the clarification Brian. Im getting to know my equipment better everytime I have to explain it to someone.

note: my AD20 unit is a preamp and AD converter in one package; with an optical line out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 12:07:51 PM by Sharky »

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2004, 02:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the idea, Brian.  Now I just need to find somewhere that sells them online!  Only find one place so far and they wanted $20 for shipping!  :-(  

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2004, 03:02:15 PM »
I'm also a newbie looking at low-end microphone choices.  I came accross the Superlux SMK-H8K matched pair for $139 at Earthshaking Music in Atlanta (http://www.earthshakingmusic.com/superlux.lasso).  Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Superlux also has another line--CM-H8--that they also sell in matched pairs.  These mics look a little better than the SMK model, but still very reasonably priced.  The CM-H8K-IHO is $129 (each) and comes with three capsules.  Is anybody using these?
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2004, 01:21:42 AM »
i think i mighta already said this...but...

here are some examples of the superlux's in bar/club type settings.   check down at the bottom of the 2003 section and the 2004 section.  i'm warning you tho, i'm still kinda learning as i go, and you can tell by the recordings.  i think the mics do a fine job for the price.

i got mine off ebay for around $150/160 bux, i can't remember now, but they came with all 3 caps plus the case, tbar and all the extras.  

good luck.
ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline RossHendry

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2004, 09:13:42 AM »
Thanks Ed, think I'm going with the Behringers though.  Don't know why, just one of those gut reactions when faced with two choices.  Hope it pays out!  

Looks like I'll be running Behringers > MTR PPS-2 > Audio Technica CP8201s > JB3.

I couldn't find the Hosa line transformers at 8th Street.com and I'd rather order everything from the one place to save on shipping.  Now to get it shipped to a pal in the US, he can unwrap it, mark it as s/h on the customs form and pass it on!  ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.215 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com