Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundman OKM IIr (stealth mics)  (Read 12854 times)

silverbullet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Soundman OKM IIr (stealth mics)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 07:10:32 AM »
get those mics up high!

get them in a hat or something

yeah, I know.

I got lucky. Quiet family to the right of me, quiet couple in front of me. Nothing on my left side (isle seat) but the people behind me were kind of loud. Some guy on a cell phone at a rock concert. You know how loud you have to talk into a cell phone at a concert? grrrrr The couple in front sat down a lot and with me at 6ft 3 standing the mics were above heads like a mic stand.

I usually prefer mics molded on top of my ears but my seat was located at the end of the isle with less cover. That and I have more tickets upcoming with front row and I need some experience for total concealment. I'm not a hat guy although I've done one outside free show with a hat. Glad I didn't bring my ear mics with me because security was really tight for a Nickelback show of all shows. Tighter than APC. I know I would have been nabbed with ear mics and a seat at the end of a row at this particular show.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2004, 07:17:03 AM »
i've stood a foot away from a security person with Neumann AK40's in my hat.... no problem.

modified hats/caps are great for stealth recordings.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

silverbullet

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2004, 07:27:10 AM »
I've got a couple of recordings talking with security. One time I had these mics in my ears with a pair of CMC-8's on top of my ears and security comes over to me (I had camera in hand) asking me if I was taking video with my camera. He spoke right into my left microphone ear. Nobody's seen mics on my ears and these omni's can pass for ear plugs. I've been busted more times fumbling with wires cause I'm too lazy to go to the bathroom between sets. So with time I'm becoming more paranoid hense the mics under the shirt this time.

I used to think stealthing was real easy but then time catches up to you.

silverbullet

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2004, 12:53:44 PM »
I just came from Radio Shack looking to get some extra 6v batteries for the little battery box that comes with these Soundman mics. RS only had Lithium 6 v batteries.

Anyone foreseeing a problem using a Lithium battery in place of an alkaline battery? $10 for one Li battery, ouch.

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2004, 02:49:11 AM »
i'm not an electrician but.... i don't think so. i mean why should there be? 6v is 6v whether its lithium or alkaline

silverbullet

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2004, 07:39:39 AM »
thanks. I tried it out last night for about three hours without problems. I really need to get a SP 9v box for these mights with the bass roll off option around 70-90. The A3 box roll off is at 300 and is too much. With the A3 bass roll off turn off I get too much bass at rock shows. Calling SP Monday morning.  So much for buying a new $10 battery only used once.  :P

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2004, 04:03:41 PM »
I've tried my OKM IIr and I think that those mics are decent for their price.
Still a question though :
what kind of ear plugs can you use with mics placed in ears ?
my earplugs are too large for letting me put the OKM in my ears ...
Any recommandation ?  :)

silverbullet

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »
I can't think of a way to use ear plugs with these Soundman's in your ears also. You can try sticking a small wad of cotton in first but I wouldn't recommend it. The soundman mics in the ears kind of look like ear plugs but I wouldn't stealth it that way for all shows. Gives great 3D spacial sound when playing back through headphones.  Lately, I've just been draping them over my shoulders and under my shirt for total stealth and still get good results. Granted there are better techniques but I can enjoy a show much better relaxed knowing nothing is seen as I'm taping.

Offline javi

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2004, 09:36:48 AM »
i used these mics for 2 years mounting them on a black cap facing backwards
(it helped covering the wires and helped getting an unobstructed sound)

it was also confortable for me not having to worry about the mics falling from my ears ;)

Offline Jacob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2005, 04:24:18 PM »
I'm new to this board so I say 'hi to all the good people here :) I've been recording shows since 1997 with Sony ECM-717 and thought it was about time for an upgrade. I'm looking to get Soundman OKM-II R model and after browsing various topics I still have a few questions.

Is it crucial to stay as close to the stage / PA as possible? What if I record at a 6,000-people arena placing myself near the soundboard? How will such a recording most likely turn out?

I'm using new Sony Hi-MD recorder (MZ-NH900). Is it better to use the mic-in or the line-in jack?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Jacob.

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2005, 11:34:29 AM »
I've tried my OKM IIr and I think that those mics are decent for their price.

could you upload a sample please?
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

silverbullet

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2005, 05:21:46 PM »
I was accidentally sent the OKM II classic mics by mistake. If you don't mind mp3 here is a sample using those mics.

I have had those mics replace with the OKM IIR version but heck, I haven't even tested those yet. Love my large diagram mics too much.

I loved the OKM II classic mics but was running into I think brickwalling at very loud shows. I can only assume the RII version would be better if not at least the same. When recording from the ears, the play back from headphones is 3D reallistically scary. Very fond of soundman mics. You can use a 9 volt battery box as well as the supplied mini battery box that is available from Soundman. I preferr my 9 volt battery box with level adjustment but I've also used the A3 mini battery box with a MD for stealthing and that worked great as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com