Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Peluso CEMC6?  (Read 9935 times)

ac

• Trade Count: (0)
Peluso CEMC6?
« on: September 13, 2005, 02:09:55 PM »
Any one heard anything more on the ETA on Peluso CEMC6? Are there still issues with them?

thanks

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
Re: Peluso CEMC6?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 10:20:17 PM »
Should be fine if you order them direct from Peluso. I just got mine back from repair and all seems good so far.

ac

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 08:32:57 AM »
What was issues in the first place?

ac

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 09:59:46 AM »
What kind of mounts do you use for them?

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 10:07:06 AM »
This one by Joe Meek:

It works very nice since the Peluso's are so light.

ac

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 11:17:25 AM »
How they mounts that come with the flight case?

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 11:38:20 AM »
the mounts that come in the flight case are first class.
beefier than the ATs, and a little smaller.  you could drive over them.

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 12:17:17 PM »
Here's what Doug from Sound Pure had to say:

We are testing our peluso mics right now (if they pass, we start shipping direct
from john next week/week after).
Assuming that the mics here pass we are in business again, and all bugs should
be worked out.  The mics have been completely reworked, we haven't heard of a
price increase as of yet.

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
Dan from Soundpure and John Peluso say two different things most of the time, it's hard to figure out who to believe, and really I don't think either of them is lying they just see this problem from a different point of view. John sees it as a minor problem easily fixed, Dan sees it as a major problem not easily fixed. If these mics didn't sound so damn good I would have ditched them long ago. Mine came back "fixed" as in not a totally reworked mic, at least from the outside appearance. Good thing is John has a quick turn around and is easy to work with. These mics do have a 3 year warranty and I'm sure the issues are fixed by now, mine seem to be fine. Dan's been saying for over a month that they will be ready next week, John says they are good to go ::)

One thing I know, these may be my most favorite mics that I've taped with, not as detailed as my old mk4+cmc6, but a more pleasing overall quality for concert taping, to MY ears. Oh, and the issue in the first place was a combination of bad resistors/bad caps both caused by different things. The resistors came bad from the factory where the circuit boards were made, and the caps went bad due to humidity problems in John's shop. Both of these problems surfaced at the same time. Since the mics are new it doesn't surprise me that some unforseen problems crept up. I doubt these mics will stay at this price for too long once the problems are figured out. I'd really like to try some of the Peluso tubes out, they have had no problems with any other Peluso mic besides the cemc6 so that should tell you that it is a somewhat isolated incident.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 01:48:52 PM »
so are there issues with the set i bought from Nick?  what are these "bugs" y'all are referring to?
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

ac

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 01:59:07 PM »
I contacted Peluso Labs and they say they have some sets in stock but its very limited. Hopefully I'll have the dough in a couple of weeks. Do you know if the mounts come in black or just the bluish white tan thing?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 02:47:45 PM »
Heath...
John Peluso told me that there were no problems w/the kit I was sent.
Not sure of any more than that...and that there were never any issues w/them as I used them.
100% solid, every capsule.

and I taped in all sorts of environments. 

as mentioned...there was a problem w/two different things.  John was unconcerned about it.  I asked him specificaly about this problem affecting my kit, and he said it wouldn't happen.  So I infered from this that they are post or pre "bad batch" of mics that is the issue.
i'd guess pre.

*if* there should be some problem w/them.  You let me know, and i'll deal w/John and getting replacements and whatnot.

btw..use them yet?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 02:50:22 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:10:02 PM »
Heath, you'd know if there was a problem, you'll get nasty spikes in levels, noise ect... that basically leaves the mics unuseable. I wouldn't worry aboout it, Nick used those mics enough that the problem would have surfaced by now.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 03:13:19 PM »
Good information guys. +T to the thread. I'm interested in the developments concerning the "problem" because I'll likely be upgrading to these mics, maybe early next year.

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 03:50:01 PM »
Heath, you'd know if there was a problem, you'll get nasty spikes in levels, noise ect... that basically leaves the mics unuseable. I wouldn't worry aboout it, Nick used those mics enough that the problem would have surfaced by now.

cool.. haven't used them yet.  testing them out for the first time tomorrow night.

The Upstream Mend

ac

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 06:29:15 PM »
I wish I had the money to get Nick's set. Got to give you props for the phat deal.

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 10:55:02 AM »

AudioLot is currently selling these mics.  The guy was not aware of the issue at all.  I wonder if they have the fixed version?  I am ready to order a pair of these mics.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2005, 12:58:36 PM »
the "problem" was only a small batch of mics.. not all of them

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2005, 01:20:42 PM »
ok.  so I should be fine ordering from audiolot.  The guy at sound pure made it sound like they revamped the design of the whole mic or something.  thanks!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 05:13:29 PM »
maybe they did...

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 08:19:45 PM »
I emailed Peluso and got an email back saying they started shipping the newer version of the microphone about 4 weeks ago.  They had a problem with a part and found a new vendor.

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
I got my pair in the mail, ordered from Audiolot.  I'll be using them tomorrow with my Motu Traveller to run a matrix for Perpetual Groove at Rythem and Brews in Chatanooga.  The venue isn't great, but i'll get to use them again at the Exit/In in Nashville the next night.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 05:03:59 PM »
nice.
get the card caps?
they sound fucking great...especialy XY, IMO

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 06:28:08 PM »
nick--curious to hear your thoughts on the other caps as well.  did you already do a write up somewhere?  if not, can tell me in particular waht you thought of the hypers? 

thanks

The Upstream Mend

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 08:25:16 PM »
the hypers were fair.  i pulled a good recording, and a couple of "eh" ones.
they have good rejection, but the sound is not as fat and warm as the cards/subs.

the sub card fucking rocks.  thats the one I liked.

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 12:52:39 PM »
yeah, i just bought the cards for now.  I'm definitely planning on picking up at least the omni caps at some point.  I'm going to run X/Y tonight, it's a wide and short room so I will be pretty close to the speakers.  25-30 feet(tops) i think, but i haven't been to that place in over a year.  I'll be interested to hear how they sound running thru a motu pre-amp, i haven't listened to any samples of that combination.

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 01:06:06 PM »
how do yu like the traveler?  i looked at that for mobile multitracking...

just checked your email as well...you went to the same school as my old man...RPI.   ;D

The Upstream Mend

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 03:11:15 PM »
I like the traveller, it's very versitale (sp?).  i mostly use it for matrix recordings, but have done a surround recording on it.  I ran all 6 channels from the 5.1 mix along with a stereo board feed and my mics.

I had some problems with the CEMC6's.  I set all my stuff up, then left for a while and came back to the venue in the middle of the opening band.  All my levels had been set during soundcheck and all that.  I never monitored the mics for some reason, just listened to the board feed mix thru my headphones at various points.  At any rate, the mics sound like they are clipping, but I didn't see much clipping going on during the show.  The wav form looks weird, the top half of each channel is very flat and the bottom half of each channel looks fine.  Any ideas?  I can post a clip if needed. 

stirinthesauce

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 09:48:27 PM »
Oh, that sucks!  Sorry to hear about that.  Don't have any suggestions to give you but if you figure it out, please post.  I really want to get a pair of these mics.

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005, 12:06:45 PM »

I can't figure out what happened with my mics.  I've talked to some people that think it may have been a motu or software problem.  I'm attaching a picture of the wavforms from CuBase, the mics track has almost none of the positive wavforms.  it's weird, not sure what happened.  any help would be appreciated.

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2005, 12:11:54 PM »
I just got a pair of these.   GO With Audiolot Joshua the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful. I understand they are more but his customer service is great. 

If you were having clipping problems you probably needed to run the 10db pad these mics are extremely sensitive so be careful when you are recording loud bands.

I am very happy with the sound quality of these mics so far but I have yet to do a show with them. I have used them in my home studio and wow they are amazing.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline doliam

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »
I did run the -10db pad 2 nights before that and had no problems.  It basically sounds like the low end is clipping... very boomy and muddy.  I can also pad the mics on my Motu by -20, is it better to do that there or on the mic itself?

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2005, 12:57:20 PM »
Keep the comments coming guys. I'm trying to decide between the Peluso CEMC6 or the ADK TL for an upgrade. Granted, that probably will be a while, but still. I wonder if Audiolot has a retail store, since they're fairly local (within an hour drive)...

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2005, 02:44:16 PM »
Tough to compart the TLs to the Peluso's due to the large diaphram vs. small diaphram thing. Ultimately, and this is just my opinion, I think the Peluso's are a superior sounding mic, much more refined without the spitty high end that the TLs exhibit. Of course, the TLs offer more patterns for a cheaper price. I find the Peluso's to be in the same category sound wise as a lot of the big boys.

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2005, 03:14:42 PM »
That's why I'm thinking too ehren. The upgrade won't be until after the tax return at the earliest, and hopefully there will be more Peluso tapers out there by then, meaning more recordings floating out there. I also like the idea of buying the set cap by cap (matched pairs, of course).

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2005, 03:18:05 PM »
i'd take the Pelusos over TLs for sure.  But that is more of a SDvsLD thing.
and those mics can hang w/the big boys!!  I'll get another pair when he releases the vertical 3 pattern cap.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2005, 12:59:37 AM »
At first listen you'll think these mics cost twice what they do.  They're in the same class of rich, clean, realistic sound as the Schoepps/Neumann/MBHO mics for sure.  I'd definately consider these for the price point and versatility.  If you are planning on upgrading to some higher end mics save some money and buy these for sure.  At half the price or less of the HIGH END mics it's a bargain, and they sound much more expensive than they are for sure.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2005, 11:58:23 AM »
I think what makes the Peluso's so great is their wonderfully smooth sound. The high end of these mics tames the brittle sound most PAs produce and the low-end is huge but tight with no bloating, at least with the cards. I find them to be far superior to MBHOs, I owned a pair for years, and right in the same league with 480s, km184s, m300 ect...I do not think that they offer the detail and refinement you get with Scheops or DPAs, especially in the midrange. They can't compete with the $2500 + mics, but they sure do whip ass on a lot of the $1200-$1500 mics.

Hey Nick, is that capsul going to fit the cemc6 body's?

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2005, 08:00:53 AM »
yes.  it will be just a new cap for the cemc6 system.
cool!!

yea, these mics are nice.  their extremes (high and low ends) are really, really good.  the mid range is good too, but as ponited out, not quite the mk4 smoothness.

the 480s, they sound a little better to me.  but thats just the AKG coloration that I like.  the detail..etc.
still, for the money they are a no brainer.  such a great sounding pair.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2005, 09:34:58 AM »
I taped Kimock on Fri w/ hypers.  At first I was worried that I should have used cards but as soon as the music started so did all the yappers, so they helped cut out some chatting & it came out better than my previous uses w/ the hyper caps.  Almost ran the TLs XY but since I was planning on clamping I just went w/ the Pelusos & ran an mp-2>modSBM1 behind it.  I'll have it in the Kickdown section soon if anyone wants to compare it to Lee's 483>wmod ua5 source.

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2005, 12:20:02 PM »
Thanks for the patch Drew! This was my first time hearing these mics and overall I was pleased with the HF detail and smoothness. I thought the LF were mostly missing though. This could just be the hypers, the room or Brian A.'s mix but the LF in the room seemed plenty fat.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline hammerhorror

• Trade Count: (54)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hey good lookin'
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2005, 12:57:39 PM »
Thanks for the patch Drew! This was my first time hearing these mics and overall I was pleased with the HF detail and smoothness. I thought the LF were mostly missing though. This could just be the hypers, the room or Brian A.'s mix but the LF in the room seemed plenty fat.

It is the hyper caps that remove the low frequency (I own a pair). If you use the cards, you'll have plenty of low end in your recordings, but also more chatter. So if you are in a chatty room you will either have to sacrifice low end (using the hypers) or more yapping (using the cards) with these mics.

Overall I am very pleased with the sound of my Peluso's, especially the cards. I try to use the hypers only when absolutely neccessary.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & MK41, AKG CK63 (Naiant Actives)

Preamps: Naiant KCY Littlebox

Recorders: Sound Devices 664, Sony PCM-M10

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2005, 03:29:43 PM »

Nice to meet you, Matt!  Funny you say that because during the 1st song I told Lee that I thought the bass was weak & was concerned that I should have used cards.  Maybe I'm too used to rooms like LZR and Antone's where the LF is very strong.  But I agree that the LF is a pretty low in the recording.  I might do a LF boost on it before I torrent it. 

Offline ehren

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2005, 02:30:40 PM »
I really don't like the sound of most hyper caps, unless they are really necessary, with the mk41s being an exception. That said, I think mic configuration has ALOT to do with getting a hyper to sound "right." When I used to run my MBHO hypers they could have a nice fat low end if you ran them in a proper stereo set-up, DIN comes to mind, but if you went the point at the stacks method, forget it.

I'm gonna try to hold out on getting more caps until the 3 pattern deal comes out, sounds way cool! Unless I win the lottery and can afford another set of Scheops. I'm going to run the cemc6's for Mule 2 nights this week!

Offline bgalizio

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2005, 02:51:24 PM »
Audiolot doesn't have a retail store, but Joshua offered to show me the mic at their studio "or in (my) own environment, if (I'd) rather." If it was a stereo pair I'd ask to demo them at a show...

Offline kbergend

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »
I was very impressed with Nick's recordings using these mics with a stock R-4 on archive.org, and purchased a pair from Audiolot a couple of months ago.  No frequency plots were supplied with them, but my perception is that they have a pretty extreme high frequency emphasis that goes beyond having a "bright character".  IMO they are not very suitable for recording female vocalists.  All four attempts I've made using 2 different preamp/ADCs (Core MIC2496 and Oade TMOD R-4) have resulted in an unpleasantly harsh and tinny timbre in the vocals that I've been unable to fully correct for with EQ in post.  [You can hear an example if you're interested at http://www.archive.org/details/cj2007-01-20.aud.flac16 .  That edge in Margo Timmins' voice was not part of the venue's mix.]  On the positive side, these mics do a great job bringing out the HF transients on cymbals and guitar, and the cardioid caps also feature very clean and powerful bass response.

I think these mics are probably terrific for most instrumental miking applications, and also do a pretty good job with male vocals in my limited experience to date.  I'm not a big jam band follower myself, but I would think they're a good choice for recording those types of artists if there are no female singers in the lineup. 
Keith from NY

Gefell M200/210, AKG 481/2/3, Milab DC-196 and VM-44 Link
Darktrain cables
Grace Lunatec V3, RME Fireface UFX
Tascam DR-680, Oade Concert R-44, Oade Concert PMD661, JoeCo BlackBox

stirinthesauce

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2007, 05:14:03 PM »
Try the subcards with a warmer pre.  Much more friendly for the female vocals.  Beyond that, try an LD. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 75 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com