Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TLs vs. 414s  (Read 10994 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: TLs vs. 414s
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:34:01 PM »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 06:34:45 PM »
studio projects lsd2 --

ld stereo one piece mic.  Allows you to effortly run blumlein and m/s as well as x/y, etc.  downside is that you can only run coincident configurations. 

I continue to be amazed by how sweet this mic sounds . . . . and can be had for a (relative) song.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 08:20:36 PM »
I run the 414's and the only pattern i havent tried yet is the subcards. I was under the impression I should be fairly close to source. Am I incorrect in this thinking ?
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 11:37:16 PM »
I run the 414's and the only pattern i havent tried yet is the subcards. I was under the impression I should be fairly close to source. Am I incorrect in this thinking ?

No I think your right.  And I would guess that the question would be how often are you getting close enough to run sub cards with LDs?

studio projects lsd2 --

ld stereo one piece mic.  Allows you to effortly run blumlein and m/s as well as x/y, etc.  downside is that you can only run coincident configurations. 

I continue to be amazed by how sweet this mic sounds . . . . and can be had for a (relative) song.

Yes actually someone reccomended that to me just lastnight.  Dr. FOB(Jim) has been running that Neumann stereo mic recently and claims to love it.  And anyone I have every talked to at a show that owns the LSD2 seems to really enjoy it.

For the price of 414s I could probably buy an LSD2 and actives for my km140s, couldn't I? ;D
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 12:25:34 AM »
I would vote for the LSD2, its cheaper, it sounds amazing, and its a great entry point into LD mics

I wouldn not drop the $ for 414's as my first pair of LD's because you have to decide whether you like the sound and carrying around that much stuff.

I ditched the LSD2 because i hate carrying around alot of crap, however I will pick up another one sometime when I'm not so picky. 

Or i'll get an AKG C34 stereo mic mmmmm

thats what i'll do. 
mics & cameras

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 06:38:09 AM »
I don't think you have to be any closer than you normally would FOB to run sub-cards. I don't make an extra effort to get closer when I want to run subs, I just make sure the venue sounds good. If it does then I flip a coin to see if I want to run Blumlein or subs, that is really the hard part!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 07:21:50 AM »
IMO....
the 414s have it all over the TLs.  sure, the TLs are great value mics.  nice sound for the money.  but the 414s are in a different class.

the new ones w/the sub cards..great and all, but the old B-ULS series DO NOT SUCK, and can be had cheaper.  no sub card.  big Fn' deal.  if it sounds so good that you might want to run subs, then you should be running blumlein.
:)

the LSD...i'll toss in a vote for that too.  but I think the 414s sound better.  have tighter, deeper bass and edge it out on detail and finer aspects.

its the classic AKG sound.  you cant go wrong.

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »
Not to rain on the 414 parade here.....but did you know Cascade sells a new matched pair of TL's w/ shockmounts, case, etc. for $760.00. Just food for thought....if perhaps price is a factor. And I was told that with some bargaining they can be had for less.
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 04:59:48 PM »
how often are you going to run subcards?  seems like a very seldom used pattern...

they were my most used/favorite pattern on my u89s

I can't imagine not having them

YMMV
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2005, 07:06:52 PM »
how often are you going to run subcards?  seems like a very seldom used pattern...

they were my most used/favorite pattern on my u89s

I can't imagine not having them

YMMV

MMMMMMM...U89s :drool:

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »
What actually is the difference between the 414B-XLS and XLII?

Also, what is the best price that any of you have heard of for a new pair of either of these?  I don't imagine that many of these newer models pop up used that often on the yard sale.  I usually see the ULS version.

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 05:35:25 PM »
correct me if Im wrong..
tlII's are a mic made for vocals I believe and are not recommended for far field taping..  they have a boost in the high bands..  the xls's are the new "model" of the uls (i think) and have the added subcard pattern.. 
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 05:40:29 PM »
correct me if Im wrong..
tlII's are a mic made for vocals I believe and are not recommended for far field taping..  they have a boost in the high bands..  the xls's are the new "model" of the uls (i think) and have the added subcard pattern.. 

this is correct
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »

while I havent had my 414s that long, I have used the subcards in every instance...whether its NOS, X/Y(onstage) or even M/S!
they are by far my favorite pattern.
as for TL vs 414...the first thing I noticed is that the 414s dont have quite as noticeable a high-frequency bump that the TLs do.
low end seems a bit smoother as well. also, the 414s weigh about 1/2 that of the TLs!!

the TLs are very good mics and I loved them while I owned them, but the 414s are a much better mic overall, regardless of the subcard pattern.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2005, 06:06:48 PM »
Let's say I bought an LSD2 just to see if I like running LDs.  Does anyone think I would be disappointed in the lack of detail compared to my 140s?  I have found a nice deal on an LSD2 and could take the plunge right now and if I like running LD I could still probably buy the 414s in January.  At that point I would feel it necessary to sell the C4s I have, it really is looking like I might not use them again.  Anyway my main question at this moment would be, do you think I would be taking too far of a step down if I went with an LSD2 in overall detail and quaility from my 140s to adequatly compare whether I like running LDs?  I feel it wouldn't be the same case with the 414s...

Thoughts and opinions are highly needed.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.222 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com