Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: microphones and magnets ?  (Read 10378 times)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The Dude abides...
Re: microphones and magnets ?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »
Um, you guys are nerds...   ;)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
Um, you guys are nerds...   ;)
Guilty as charged.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 12:36:57 PM »
i tried a simple, not so scientific test with my 460's. moving a paradise pizza (no affiliation) refrigerator magnet close to the capsules had a noticeable effect on the sound... it seemed to lower the levels.

LOL!!!!  Ahh, science, gotta love it. 
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline Bob Lazar

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »
The element 115  (or ununpentium (Uup)) could be machined into mic clips which would create a reaction from being transmuted with an additional proton from 115 to element 116 which immediately decays and releases antimatter. When the element becomes so heavy as to have 115 protons and lands within an island of stability, the cumulative strong nuclear force or "Gravity A-wave" radiates or extends past the perimeter of the atom.  We can access this gravity and amplify it, lensing it to counter act the gravity of the microphones and naturally propogate them above the floor.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
exactly!

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:45 PM »
Yeah that works for about 100 milliseconds, but then what do you do?  Make more?
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »
Whoa!  Looks like Uup could actually cause your mics to be suitable for practical space travel:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Elerium-115
http://www.beyondweird.com/element115.html

So you're sitting there calmly recording your favorite artist when the mic mounts suddenly warp time-space so badly that your mics take off at relativistic speeds.  That can't be good for them, can it?  Would that be covered under warranty?

And Bob! You've got your own web site!

http://www.boblazar.com/ (but you can't come in)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 03:00:07 PM by SparkE! »

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 03:06:41 PM »
The element 115  (or ununpentium (Uup)) could be machined into mic clips which would create a reaction from being transmuted with an additional proton from 115 to element 116 which immediately decays and releases antimatter. When the element becomes so heavy as to have 115 protons and lands within an island of stability, the cumulative strong nuclear force or "Gravity A-wave" radiates or extends past the perimeter of the atom.  We can access this gravity and amplify it, lensing it to counter act the gravity of the microphones and naturally propogate them above the floor.

I was just going to say that!   :P  ;)
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 03:47:45 PM »
wow, do you guys really beleive that modern shock mounts are that poor at isolation that you need to reinvent the wheel?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 08:07:22 PM »

i tried a simple, not so scientific test with my 460's. moving a paradise pizza (no affiliation) refrigerator magnet close to the capsules had a noticeable effect on the sound... it seemed to lower the levels.

Good way to test worst case magnetic effects, AND is a potential issue:yikes:

Fortunately, even a most magnetic sensitive mic has good chance of working normally  :thinking:

INTRODUCING  :yahoo: the production model of the "GRAV-CLAMP"  :spin: with ~3" overall length universal collar accommodating up to 1.5" dia. mics.  More importantly, the GRAV motor mounts a safe distance well behind the diaphragm, AND has mic-side sufficient magnetic shielding to not mag-lockup output mics with transformer.  Designing good shielding is not difficult, and with performance benefits, so expect no mag-effects issues whatsoever in refined production models. 

The GRAV-CLAMP features easy and fast mic mounting after just one setup experience! 

Quick Instruction: AFTER  :flack: the slacked mic cords are carefully secured at point where mic is about center inside clamp's fixed outer hull , clamp's movable collar now easily slides along the body  :wink2: , quickly locking-down  :police: a little behind equilibrium balance position of floating collar+mic body.  This adds needed mass-loaded forward bias to offset the slacked cord's vectoring effect.

First setup will take much time and care,  :drummer: and it's most important to find and mark cord/collar positions with label or permanent pen.  :whipped:

When already knowing exact mic mounting positions,  :happy: repeating the setup is easily done in a few minutes using same mic + cord combination.

:coolguy: Bottom line is a practical magnetic mic suspension is still a GO waiting to happen:realhappy:

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 12:51:36 PM »
d5 asked:

> if you're shielding the magnet, then how does the magnet work?

That's like asking how stealth recording can work! The magnet is the only part of this arrangement that has any business knowing that it's a magnet. Its two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 11:05:20 PM »
Designing good shielding is not difficult
if you're shielding the magnet, then how does the magnet work?

Simple explanation is presence of a multi-layer combination of materials that both efficiently 'conduct' (effecting mag-field bypass), and with materials resisting  magnetic fields (shielding) to keep mic side field propagation 'squeezed into a path' to not invade the mic body space. 

The outside facing fixed clamp side magnetic field is unimpeded and further shaped by the layered shielding materials by their presence on the mic side, and absence in the grav-clamping area.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 11:28:32 AM »
So you're sitting there calmly recording your favorite artist when the mic mounts suddenly warp time-space so badly that your mics take off at relativistic speeds.  That can't be good for them, can it?  Would that be covered under warranty?

This happened to me once at a show. No magnets or ultraheavy elements were involved (that I'm aware of) but the liquid was pretty heavy.
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »
d5 asked:

> if you're shielding the magnet, then how does the magnet work?

That's like asking how stealth recording can work! The magnet is the only part of this arrangement that has any business knowing that it's a magnet. Its two weapons are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency.

--best regards

...and nice red uniforms...

that would be three weapons; fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to recording.
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 07:00:50 AM »
I'm still inclined to "build a better shockmount" though, as the only one i've ever used that I really believed made a difference were the sabra mounts, but those things are so flabby....

These actually work VERY well: http://www.professionalsound.com/Catalog/unism.htm

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com