Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shock Mount for 480 bodies  (Read 18850 times)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Shock Mount for 480 bodies
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 02:32:10 AM »
I've actually used the new Rycote, and they are very good and light weight. Made out of high quality plastic, unbreakable, very fast to mount/dismount the mike. Good isolation as well.

What is the cost on those?

I think about £30-40 - I will try and find out from Rycote.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 03:02:26 AM »
Get some good old fashioned AT 8410s and rock it like it's 1997 ;)
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline aegert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 07:20:47 AM »
JM26Sm For Joe Meek $19 each and small and reall good!

A :)
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Rycote In-Vision Mounts
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 10:03:50 AM »
I have just found out the price of the new Rycote mounts.

In the UK they will retail for £30 +VAT

In the USA the likely price will be $79.

All the In-Vision mounts (INV-1 to INV-8 inclusive) will be the same price.

Also - for info.  This was posted on a UK Forum by a Beta Tester of the mounts:-

I've also been beta testing these Rycote In-Vision mounts (and I'm very pleased to say that one of my suggestions has been implemented in the production version).

The design is as stunningly ingenious as it is innovative and unique -- and it can be scaled very easily to match a wide variety of mic sizes and weights. The basic design has already been proven in the S-series shockmount and windshield system for location sound applications.

More to the point - I've seen the vibration measurement plots, and these mounts provide very good attenuation/isolation down to around 30Hz in most cases, which is significantly better than a lot of manufacturer's mounts.

The mount also includes an extremely effective cable clamp that ensures the performance is maintained regardless of cable type in use.

In the few cases where the In-Vision design fails to exceed the performance of the manufacturers' own mounts, they still have a significant advantage in that they cost a fraction of the price! The way they are made is very simple, which keeps the cost very low indeed, and the material used is virtually indestructible too. No rubber bands or elastic cords to replace. No adjustments necessary.

The first release of the range is intended for miniature and compact mics, plus most capacitor pencil mics. There are eight models and you can see the specs here.

There are three for miniature mics, three for compact mics, and two for longer, larger pencil mics. The design is optimised for end-fire mics, and as a result the performance is not quite as good for side-address figure-eight mics -- although it is still better than every other commercial mount out there. I believe there is also a design on the drawing board for a version optimised for fig-8s, but the potential sales would be so small that it is not high on the production priority list at the moment.

Later this year there will be a larger design using the same principle but in very different way to support side address large diaphragm mics. That will be exciting...

I really do believe these Rycote studio shockmounts are going to become standard equipment for everyone within a few years. They are that effective and cost-effective. Like John, my order for enough to service all my small diaphragm mics is already lodged with Rycote!

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 10:51:39 AM »
Yep, that's a good report. The design is so simple..... one piece of molded high quality plastic... You can bend it anyway you want and it returns to it's shape. Says for 19-25mm mic body diameter, and will hold Senn MKH 30,40,50,60, even though they are flat on the side.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »
JM26Sm For Joe Meek $19 each and small and reall good!

A :)

Are these the same as the mounts that come with Studio Projects C4's? I haven't seen the joe meeks in person but from this photo they look identical...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
I use the $8.00 Shockproofs.  Dirt cheap and they do a fantastic job!  I've never had any noise from stand kicks/grabbing or what ever.  Heck, a friend one time physically moved our stand because of unruly crowd in our seat area.  You can't tell we moved except for a slight change in the stereo field.  That's it.  I run Naks now, but I owned 480s and ran them with the shockproofs.  I've been so happy with this setup, I don't even think about the subject anymore..... until I saw this thread.

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 01:14:13 AM »
I also use the the Superlux for my 480s.  Not built like a tank but pretty damn sturdy.  The only thing I wish they would upgrade is that the threads are plastic.  That being said I'm still running my first pair after a year and a half with no problems.  Also, the bands can be bought at home depot for a few cents each.

Stay Kind,
Dana
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:16:17 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
I also use the the Superlux for my 480s.  Not built like a tank but pretty damn sturdy.  The only thing I wish they would upgrade is that the threads are plastic.  That being said I'm still running my first pair after a year and a half with no problems.  Also, the bands can be bought at home depot for a few cents each.

Stay Kind,
Dana

I use the $8.00 Shockproofs.  Dirt cheap and they do a fantastic job!  I've never had any noise from stand kicks/grabbing or what ever.  Heck, a friend one time physically moved our stand because of unruly crowd in our seat area.  You can't tell we moved except for a slight change in the stereo field.  That's it.  I run Naks now, but I owned 480s and ran them with the shockproofs.  I've been so happy with this setup, I don't even think about the subject anymore..... until I saw this thread.

Thanks guys, good info. But back to my original question, are the Joe Meeks the same as the SP-C4 mounts? I ask because I have a set of C4's with the mounts, which look to be identical to these, and I'm wondering if they'll work with some 480's.

That said, could you post a link to the mounts you've mentioned here? Are the Superlux & Shockproofs the same mount?

Thanks!

PS - This is my 50th Post! DING DING! Now I have a lot of tickets to give out, quite a few of you have helped me immensely in getting started the past few months.

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 11:55:11 AM »
The Shockproof clip is halfway down the page.  The one pictured is actually the tapered version for dynamic mics.  Windtech make the Shockproofs

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,92610.0.html

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
i use the superlux hm32 also with the 460's. got them dirt cheap a few years ago. they're plastic but small and light. i switched to them from the at8410s which are beasts compared to the hm32's.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »
> But back to my original question, are the Joe Meeks the same as the SP-C4 mounts? I ask >because I have a set of C4's with the mounts, which look to be identical to these, and I'm >wondering if they'll work with some 480's.

Yes, they are virtually identical. I use the C4 mounts for 480s and they work just fine.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 02:53:18 AM »
I have been using the AT8415 shocks since early 2003 but I upgraded the stock rubber mounts w/ the K-Tek K-SUS Heavy Duty Rubber Mounts back in 2003-2004 and I LOVE THEM. They are VERY STURDY and IMO are the  BEST shock without spending a LOT of money on a rycote system. Well, maybe not so much now that those Rycote In-Vision's are around. But for $65.00/shockmount w/ the upgraded mounts, they just cant be beat IMO. And alot of folks dont realize that they are actually more lo-pro than the AT 8410 that most tapers use. I dont understand why more tapers dont use the AT8415+K-Tek K-SUS w/ theyre extreme ruggedness and IMO low cost.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68143-REG/Audio_Technica_AT8415_AT8415_Universal_Shock_Mount.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292948-REG/K_Tek_K_SUS_K_SUS_Microphone_Suspenders_Pair_.html

Hmmm, B+H usually sells the two as a combo for $65.00/shock, but since the K-Tek K-SUS HD mounts are out of stock, they must not offer the two as a combo at the moment. IMO VERY rugged and a VERY RELIABLE shockmount system for full-bodied mics :)

I think I'm selling mine, along w/ my Shure Vert Bar, since I dont have full-bodied mics anymore and dont plan on running full-bodied mics anytime soon. I have just been very hesitant selling them as the MBHO bodies are also 21mm(just like my old 480's) and I have kept them around in case I ever needed to run the MBHO's w/ the full bodies for MS/ORTF/AB/XY/etc. But since I just scored (2) Rode NT6 2-axis swivel mounts for my MBHO Actives, all I need is a Vark Bar, and I will NEVER need to run the full bodies on the stand again :)

So if anyone browsing this thread wants a KICKASS and SUPERIOR shockmount system for a pair of 20 or 21mm full-bodied mics, I think I'm finally ready to sell my AT8415+Upgraded K-Tek K-SUS Heavy Duty Rubber Mounts, along w/ my Shure Vert Bar. I would let them BOTH go together for $150 TOTAL for both the AT8415's and the vert bar. Thats only $100.00 for the AT 8415's w/ the K-Tek K-SUS HD Mounts and only $50.00 for the Shure Vert Bar FWIW!

I need to fund my new Vark Bar setup so I am negotiable on that price and need to sell rather soon! So PM me if youre interested!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 02:56:22 AM by Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
The Shockproof clip is halfway down the page.  The one pictured is actually the tapered version for dynamic mics.  Windtech make the Shockproofs

So is the version you use actually the SP-20, shown here? Does this mount mark up the mic at all when sliding in and out?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 12:38:22 PM »

So is the version you use actually the SP-20, shown here? Does this mount mark up the mic at all when sliding in and out?
thats exactly what i used with 39x and 480
no probs
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com