Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol UA-5 Discontinued  (Read 9463 times)

Offline tonyvt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
Edirol UA-5 Discontinued
« on: August 12, 2005, 05:10:29 PM »
Bad news. I just spoke to Edirol and was told that the UA-5 has been discontinued in the US.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 05:14:44 PM by tonyvt »
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Ray76

Re: Edirol UA-5 Discontinued
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 05:46:26 PM »
Bad news. I just spoke to Edirol and was told that the UA-5 has been discontinued in the US.

yep they decided that a few months ago. thats why doug quit modding em.
it sux. nice boxes for the money.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 05:47:58 PM »
damn it!  that's going to make it hard to get parts/service on these things in the future.  I wonder what they're coming out with as a replacement?
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Low Spark

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »
damn it!  that's going to make it hard to get parts/service on these things in the future.  I wonder what they're coming out with as a replacement?

Pat u in Ashvegas now.
Mics: AKG 481

American by Birth - A Southerner by the Grace of God.

I caught myself pumping the air with my fist, throwing elbows and getting down like an 18-year-old on his first mushroom trip on the lawn at Raleigh. But since every night is Saturday

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »

The rep on the phone mentioned that the UA-25 was the replacement. UA-25 looks like the hot ticket for laptop taping but unfortunately it will
not work as a stand alone preamp A/D without a laptop connected.
The really nice thing about my UA-5 is that I can use it to run my iBook, Sony M1, JB3, and Edirol R-1. I am hard pressed
to think of another product that would give me these options.
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 06:17:19 PM »

unfortunately it will not work as a stand alone preamp A/D without a laptop connected.

the ua-5 is the same way, thats why you have to mod it

Raphael

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 06:21:51 PM »

unfortunately it will not work as a stand alone preamp A/D without a laptop connected.

Raphael

Good point. I have been here at work already for 10+ hours and I guess I better get home before I fall out of my chair. I did the mod myself on my UA-5.. Wondering if anyone has attempted a mod on the new UA-25.
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Ray76

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »

Raphael

Good point. I have been here at work already for 10+ hours and I guess I better get home before I fall out of my chair. I did the mod myself on my UA-5.. Wondering if anyone has attempted a mod on the new UA-25.

tony, BTW, theres a great Marty Stuart DVD up on DImeadozen in the country section...

ACL. he tears it up/.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 06:23:24 PM »

yep they decided that a few months ago. thats why doug quit modding em.
it sux. nice boxes for the money.

I was under the assumption that he would still do the mod if it was originally purchased from his shop.... at least that's what he told me earlier this summer?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 01:10:18 PM by sycosteev »
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 06:29:12 PM »

Not quite so easy with the UA-25, though.  For example, the bit-depth and sample rate settings are all configured via USB / laptop on the UA-25, whereas the UA-5 had full local control over configuration.  I doubt modding the UA-25 would prove workable with a standalone recorder.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 06:36:17 PM »

Raphael

tony, BTW, theres a great Marty Stuart DVD up on DImeadozen in the country section...

ACL. he tears it up/.

Hey Ray, Thanks for the heads up on the Marty Stuart DVD. I have been meaning to jump on that one and now that you say it is great I am going to jump on it.

About 5-6 years ago Marty played a county fair down in Hebron Ct. I was running my CCM's and Sonsax with the mics in my hat.  Just as Marty went on stage one of his road guys came and parked his ass right up next to me. The bummer is that I wasn't able to check the levels on my sonosax and the tape got crunched. Really sucks because Marty had just released The Pilgrim and Brad Davis and Gary Hogue RIP were still in the band. I did walk away with a cool autographed pic of Marty in one of his Manuel suits.  
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 06:39:17 PM »

Not quite so easy with the UA-25, though.  For example, the bit-depth and sample rate settings are all configured via USB / laptop on the UA-25, whereas the UA-5 had full local control over configuration.  I doubt modding the UA-25 would prove workable with a standalone recorder.

good info Brian

I doubt modding the UA-25 would prove workable with a standalone recorder.

i didn't think so. all i was trying to say is the UA-5 started out having to be moded

Raphael

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 06:55:58 PM »

Raphael

ACL. he tears it up/.

Hey Ray, Thanks for the heads up on the Marty Stuart DVD. I have been meaning to jump on that one and now that you say it is great I am going to jump on it.

About 5-6 years ago Marty played a county fair down in Hebron Ct. I was running my CCM's and Sonsax with the mics in my hat.  Just as Marty went on stage one of his road guys came and parked his ass right up next to me. The bummer is that I wasn't able to check the levels on my sonosax and the tape got crunched. Really sucks because Marty had just released The Pilgrim and Brad Davis and Gary Hogue RIP were still in the band. I did walk away with a cool autographed pic of Marty in one of his Manuel suits.  

yessir, he is phenomenal..there was a great george jones up there too.....

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »
no matter if the ua25 will work as a stand alone or not--there is no place to plug in power, it runs 100% of the power it gets from the usb plug

i have a stock ua-5 for sale in yard right now -- $200
busman will mod it for 25-125, or of course diy
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 07:14:42 PM »
no matter if the ua25 will work as a stand alone or not--there is no place to plug in power, it runs 100% of the power it gets from the usb plug

I bet one of our crafty TSers could rig up a USB power cable, though.  But, yeah...bottom line - it won't work as a standalone pre/ADC regardless of the power supply, so...doesn't much matter.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com