Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Telescoping mic bar  (Read 3923 times)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Telescoping mic bar
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »
Doesn’t such a thing exist? Maybe with basic mic clips on the end with adjustable angles. Should I add this to my DIY list?
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
Re: Telescoping mic bar
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 07:30:24 PM »
Yeah, that’s sort of what I’m thinking of. Now that I think of it I could potentially repurpose a cheap light stand, cutting it much shorter and maybe fusing two together. The key trick will be getting something that can fit in a shock mount. I’ve seen manfrotto stands with latches that are twisty little circular metal tabs instead of big plastic knobs. :hmmm:

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 07:47:23 PM »
I found this trailer backing sighting rig. I have used it for my 4060 pair. I also rigged the bar with my CM3 pair, and breakout cables, to see how it did. The results are in this thread:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=185872.msg2259777#msg2259777

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 12:03:17 PM »
Doesn’t such a thing exist? Maybe with basic mic clips on the end with adjustable angles. Should I add this to my DIY list?

if you check my 15mm thread it might be what you are thinking.

15mm alum threaded poles that screw in to each other. i have 4x 12" and for actives etc they are more than strong enough. They sell varying lengths for camera rigs. small rig is the name of the manufacturer that i bought
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 02:47:05 PM »
+1

... but you need to look specifically for M10 threaded rods (which corresponds to 3/8).

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
I've been using TV aerial antennas for the past 12 years for miniature mics and actives which has worked great for me.  Total usable span using two extending outward from a central mounting point at the stand is about 6' (2m) total, with one or two of the smallest diameter sections remaining permanently retracted and gaff-taped in place as they are too spindly and flexible.  I've even attached full body mics on them at short extensions of around 2' or so in addition to the miniature DPAs further out.  The ones I use are repurposed from set-top TV antennas as those are the only ones I've been able find which are black-finished rather than chrome-plated, which is a personal requirement for me. 

Otherwise what I am using is similar to those linked above, but with the mounting screw axially-aligned instead of at a right angle - an arrangement required for my mounting system where the telescopic sections always remain attached to the central mount which usually remains attached to the stand as well during transport, with the telescopic arms folded down so as to be parallel to the collapsed stand.  You will want to devise some method of supporting the telescopic sections just outboard of pivot point so that you do not have to rely on hinge-friction to hold the bars horizontally.  I use a short piece of stiff wire which extends from the central mounting point over which the antennas hook, and can bend them as needed to adjust level or elevation angle of the bars.  Photos and details are in the Oddball Mic Technique thread if interested.  The system I'm using currently does not include shock mounting other than the springiness of the bars, but none is required for omnis.  I can hear some handling noise in the directional mics when I'm manipulating the stand, which has never been an issue during recording, but will likely incorporate some sort of shock-mount between stand and central mount point in my next revision.

The telescopic trailer-alignment system bars Moke is using are larger diameter and can probably support more weight, at least at short extensions, and may be a better match for heavier mics.  Unfortunately they don't seem to be available with a black finish and don't include a hinge if you want those features. Work around for chrome bars is using a strip of gaff-tape to make them black, but then they are no longer adjustable/retractable.

I like the thin-diameter black TV antennas which have been strong enough to survive some crazy FOB situations over the years and are visually nearly invisible in low light. 

If anyone comes across sources for black finished telescopic antennas or the like, please let me know.  Will be seeing if I can do something similar using thin carbon fiber tubes now that they are available in more sizes and at less cost than ever before, but the telescoping feature is the constraint to figure out there.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 01:25:51 AM »

15mm alum threaded poles that screw in to each other. i have 4x 12" and for actives etc they are more than strong enough. They sell varying lengths for camera rigs. small rig is the name of the manufacturer that i bought

I really like these, since I need a new stand I will definitely upgrade from the telescopic antennas and modified tent poles I have been using. They keep the weight down but the camera gear is nice and solid it seems. I quick google brought up various prices for the same basic pole sections. Thanks, good to know.

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 03:15:25 AM »

I really like these, since I need a new stand I will definitely upgrade from the telescopic antennas and modified tent poles I have been using. They keep the weight down but the camera gear is nice and solid it seems. I quick google brought up various prices for the same basic pole sections. Thanks, good to know.

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 04:21:48 AM »
Thanks for that last photo. I have been hemming on buying a 154 for awhile, but at least 75% of the time I would use small omni's on the end plus it is about 40cm to short of what I like. So the 154 would be overkill regarding size and weight and I would like to use the lightest stand possible. That is evident now in the photo comparison for my uses. The breakdown of the pole sections appear compact enough to fit in a bag it, that is nice. Those look great,thanks. What is the name and/or manufacturer of the central red connector?

Gutbucket: I will look through some of my bookmarks. I found a place that had telescopic scanner antennas that looked promising. It was wider than the ones I currently use (TV/Radio style) but the dry Nevada air and heat makes them droop a bit in the summer. I tried taping the sections but abandoned that idea and experimented with shorting tent poles. One can cut them to whatever foldable length one wants and however many sections, you just need to re-cord the poles. For antennas and the tent poles I just tightly zip tie them to a K&M bar with extra gaff wrap for stability.  I found a threaded adapter that had enough thread to run through the K&M bar and bite another adapter for another K&M bar, perpendicular. I guess that is for another thread though, I should post of pic of that in Oddball I guess.. It is a simple and funky solution.

Sorry to thread jack ycoop.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:25:02 AM by Limit35 »

Offline if_then_else

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 05:19:34 AM »
Thanks for that last photo. I have been hemming on buying a 154 for awhile, but at least 75% of the time I would use small omni's on the end plus it is about 40cm to short of what I like. So the 154 would be overkill regarding size and weight and I would like to use the lightest stand possible. That is evident now in the photo comparison for my uses. The breakdown of the pole sections appear compact enough to fit in a bag it, that is nice. Those look great,thanks. What is the name and/or manufacturer of the central red connector?

It's a Manfrotto Dado knock-off ("dado" is Italian for "dice"). These things are also marketed as "magic balls".
My original parts list can be found in this old thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182199.15

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 04:51:32 AM »
TWAYRDIO Dual Band VHF UHF Ham Radio Telescopic Antenna SMA Male 42’’ Retractable Replacement Long Antenna for Walkie Talkie YAESU/Vertex VX-3R VX-132 WOUNXUN KG-UV8D TYT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JWBB8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_D9fWBbPBN6XDR

This may perhaps interest you GutBucket. Shouldn’t be too hard to rig a two/three way BNC connector with the ability to attach to a stand.

I’ve moved on to exploring spaces omnis, and wanted to k is if you found any source of black telescoping antenna.

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »
^ Thanks. Good lead. In the past I usually scavenged them from cheap RadioShack powered set-top antennas, and last I looked online (a long time ago) I didn't have luck finding black replacements. 

I'm still on the lookout for the ideal version, fat enough to run a very thin spiral lead through it to the end without binding, after removing a couple of the smallest sections.  I'm currently thinking about reterminating some DPA 4061 which have bad cables, and may do so by permanently mounting them into APE spheres that screw onto the end of the antennas to both mount the spheres and connect the microphone using mating microdot connectors mounted into the end of the bar and sphere, eliminating external wiring on the bar.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com