Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $400 at best buy...recommendations for playback?  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
$400 at best buy...recommendations for playback?
« on: July 26, 2004, 11:34:59 PM »
it's gotta be from best buy.  and it can't be web only deals...
gotta spend thee gift cards 8)
something for the living room, dvd-a capable, can accept digi-in.
any ideas?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: $400 at best buy...recommendations for playback?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 11:49:51 PM »
it's gotta be from best buy.  and it can't be web only deals...
gotta spend thee gift cards 8)
something for the living room, dvd-a capable, can accept digi-in.
any ideas?

The only thing that looks interesting to me is the Yamaha stuff.

This one costs $400, no idea how it sounds

I get a free $50 Best Buy gift card in the mail soon (from signing up for comcast). I have no idea what I want. Might have to put it toward an iPod.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 12:05:05 AM »
ahh, i need to clarify...i need the whole system ;)
gotta get a decent pair of speakers (no audiophile for me right now, just functional)
receiver/amp
dvd-a player
is it possible with $400 or how much more do i need, it can come from out of pocket or i could work more weekends.
oh yeah, speaker cables...
functional is the key word.  or is it even worth me skimping on the speakers/amp if i wanna listen to 24-bit stuff? 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 07:42:49 AM »
ahh, i need to clarify...i need the whole system ;)
gotta get a decent pair of speakers (no audiophile for me right now, just functional)
receiver/amp
dvd-a player
is it possible with $400 or how much more do i need, it can come from out of pocket or i could work more weekends.
oh yeah, speaker cables...
functional is the key word.  or is it even worth me skimping on the speakers/amp if i wanna listen to 24-bit stuff? 

skimp and 24bit playback dont seem to jive in my mind.
i'm sure you can come up w/something though.

Offline markgarrigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Third Fence Post
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 12:44:24 PM »
I like my panasonic HT system.  check all the models out.  If you are willing to spend a little extra you can get a pretty nice system.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1077628262679&skuId=6314687&productCategoryId=cat03010&type=product

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 02:02:03 PM »
If it was me, I would spend the $400 at Best Buy on speakers alone. And then save another $300 for the rest. I'd probably go with the Klipsch bookshelves, though you'd have to accept some lacking bottom end - you could always add a cheap sub later (Energy E:XLs go cheap on ebay for the 8" especially, and sound real nice). 
  I'd then save some dollars to complete the system.  For less than $150 you can get  a Toshiba 4960, which will play both DVD-A and SACD, as well as dvd-r.  I haven't heard it, but the reviews say it sounds great.  Then I'd hit up ebay for a decent two channel integrated amp or receiver, which would probably be another $150 (Best Buy has a 2 channel, 100wpc Sony for $150 if you want to go new, but you should be able to do better in the used market).   
   This puts your total at more like $700, but the difference between doing your whole system for $400 vs. $700 would be significant.  For speaker wire, that's an easy DIY - you can get Canare Starquad speaker cable for like 60 cents a foot and solder on some bananas or spades.  You can even get raw audio magic x-stream speaker cable for like $3 a foot (e.g. at moondance audio/second sound in denver).  I'd DIY interconnects as well, though you'd just need the one pair to connect the dvd player to the receiver, so could buy some decent ones. 
  You could also reverse - spend the $400 on a receiver and dvda and save money for some used speakers.
-Dave

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 01:43:00 AM »
or you could sell the gift cards on ebay and pocket the cash ;)
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

zowie

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:55:48 AM »
The only way I can think of to put something decent together for that money is to buy a pair of semi-pro powered studio monitors (e.g., M-Audio) and plug in a multi-format digital player that has variable outputs.  But I can't figure out how to do that if limited to Best Buy.  The only speakers they carry that I like are Athenas.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 10:50:43 PM »
i have a pair of alesis m1 active mk2's that are currently hooked up to my echo mia card on my crappy pc.  sounds nice but it's limited to my room at the moment.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Offline super-phat-al

• Vulture Shit, heard of it?
  • I am a real American
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 12:16:03 AM »
go for the Toshiba 4960.  Great player good sound and a lot of functions.  It has a DVI out so you can watch your DVDs at 1080i.  thats if you dont want to deal with component video.  Its a good universal player.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 12:46:23 AM »
thanks for the rec al...i had been thinking about that one actually, but it isn't listed on best buy's site...any other recs for a good dvd-a capable and versatile player?  looks like i'm gonna just start putting together components, so i won't spend all the loot on the stereo right away, and will save up for better speakers and receiver.  gonna get wireless networking and some cd's dvds with the rest of it ;D
go for the Toshiba 4960.  Great player good sound and a lot of functions.  It has a DVI out so you can watch your DVDs at 1080i.  thats if you dont want to deal with component video.  Its a good universal player.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com