Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Modern Record Player Console  (Read 4428 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Modern Record Player Console
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
VERY nice but this line in the copy scares me:

"Each piece is bench-made to order in the Hudson Valley.  email us for pricing and availability."

I have a feeling it's something to the tune of "if you have to ask..." ;)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »
Heh.  I was living in the Hudson Valley for a while a little of two decades ago, and at the time, classic old hardwood console stereos (and big entertainment centers with B&W TVs) littered the curbs before monthy bulk trash pickup.  I wanted to store a few of the coolest ones in a barn or something.. but didn't have a barn.

At the time I figured it would be a good idea to take a couple of the classic 50's/60's tweed and spindle-leg models, strip out the contents and turn them into cool retro speaker cabinets for electric guitar and bass amp heads.  Would've looked damn hip on the stage back-line, especially if one of them still had an operational turntable, allowing the band to throw an LP on for before/intermission/after music.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

mfrench

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »
Some of those old consoles are drawing some pretty large sums now.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:41:15 PM by m0k3 »

runonce

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Heh.  I was living in the Hudson Valley for a while a little of two decades ago, and at the time, classic old hardwood console stereos (and big entertainment centers with B&W TVs) littered the curbs before monthy bulk trash pickup.  I wanted to store a few of the coolest ones in a barn or something.. but didn't have a barn.

At the time I figured it would be a good idea to take a couple of the classic 50's/60's tweed and spindle-leg models, strip out the contents and turn them into cool retro speaker cabinets for electric guitar and bass amp heads.  Would've looked damn hip on the stage back-line, especially if one of them still had an operational turntable, allowing the band to throw an LP on for before/intermission/after music.

heh - I have 3 currently :P

One cab is Stromberg Carlson - stripped the stereo tube amp, played the hell out of it...blew it up, and sold it some guy in Russia...Still have the speakers, they are in cardboard cabinets! Red drivers...

Another is a Sylvania, That one had a fat solid state amp in it - I still have that...nice warm sound....and a Dual turntable.

And I just hauled a Philco home - this one is mono, but has FM and a nice turntable...

Also have 2 big Bakelite boxes - the Zenith Cobra, and another Philco.

I gotta get a picture of this thing at my flea market - its about the size of a small upright piano...has turntable, amp/receiver, 8-track, speakers...AND a fake fireplace log...all in one box!!!
If the components weren't so crappy - I might actually want this thing!!!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
fake fireplace log! Awesome. Never saw that before.
Enhances the warmth of sound, no doubt.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
These guys are just over the bridge from me in Rockland county NY. Interesting.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
Beautiful unit but an all-in-one seems like a real indulgence at that price point.  I'd much rather choose my own speakers, at least. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Here's pics of a 60's console with built in fireplace

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/atq/3039264136.html

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com