Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33476 times)

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Schoeps small rig
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
This topic is somewhat of a research for the future as Schoeps is currently out of my economic league, but nevertheless it doesn't hurt to get some information.

I'm seeking your help to find out what is the smallest portable Schoeps rig possible. I've read through some of Schoeps.de and searched TS and most of the results are topics about torrents, but not so many pictures or information I find useful. Perhaps it's there and I don't see it due to my limited knowledge on the topic so far.

From what I've gathered this is the smallest rig:

Schoeps MK4 > actives > Nbox+ > (recorder)

Now I'm not sure about the 3 first in that line. The MK4 is just the capsules (4 is cardioid, 41 is supercardioid) so I will need a "body", which is CMC6? These capsules have to be attached to the bodies and then there has to be a cable/cables ("actives"?) that goes to the preamp, which I've noticed many people use Nbox+ made by "schoepsnbox" on this forum. And finally a cable to get the signal from the preamp to the recorder. So I end up with this "shopping" list:

2x CMC6
2x MK4 capsules (or 41 if I want to go supercardioid)
actives
Nbox+ (preamp)
<-cable->
recorder

As you can see from my signature, my current rig is a small and I would say, fairly good rig, but when the time comes to move a step up I want to do some research beforehand.

If anyone has a picture of their Schoeps rig in "running" mode they can post here or send to me in a PM I would be very grateful. As a matter of fact, any information that is relevant is great :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »
This topic is somewhat of a research for the future as Schoeps is currently out of my economic league, but nevertheless it doesn't hurt to get some information.

I'm seeking your help to find out what is the smallest portable Schoeps rig possible. I've read through some of Schoeps.de and searched TS and most of the results are topics about torrents, but not so many pictures or information I find useful. Perhaps it's there and I don't see it due to my limited knowledge on the topic so far.

From what I've gathered this is the smallest rig:

Schoeps MK4 > actives > Nbox+ > (recorder)

Now I'm not sure about the 3 first in that line. The MK4 is just the capsules (4 is cardioid, 41 is supercardioid) so I will need a "body", which is CMC6? These capsules have to be attached to the bodies and then there has to be a cable/cables ("actives"?) that goes to the preamp, which I've noticed many people use Nbox+ made by "schoepsnbox" on this forum. And finally a cable to get the signal from the preamp to the recorder. So I end up with this "shopping" list:

2x CMC6
2x MK4 capsules (or 41 if I want to go supercardioid)
actives
Nbox+ (preamp)
<-cable->
recorder

As you can see from my signature, my current rig is a small and I would say, fairly good rig, but when the time comes to move a step up I want to do some research beforehand.

If anyone has a picture of their Schoeps rig in "running" mode they can post here or send to me in a PM I would be very grateful. As a matter of fact, any information that is relevant is great :)

Fixed that for you. The Nbox and special cable take the place of the two microphone bodies.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
Ah sweet, I learn something new every day. Thanks :)

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »
Mk4>CKY cable>Sax>recorder is pretty small too. The n-box is smaller, but using a sax or nbox are the only ways to run the schoeps without bodies AFAIK. 
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Mk4>CKY cable>Sax>recorder is pretty small too. The n-box is smaller, but using a sax or nbox are the only ways to run the schoeps without bodies AFAIK. 

VMS boxes as well. VMS02IB is pretty small.
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51:31 PM »
cmr cables and a power source. I can't imagine anything being smaller.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100090.msg1544717.html#msg1544717

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
Mk4>CKY cable>Sax>recorder is pretty small too.

Just a clarification:  the Sax is actually the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2, sometimes called a "Lemosax", a factory-modified version of the standard SX-M2 preamp.  The Schoeps KCY cable can be ordered in whatever length you wish.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:07:29 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
cmr cables and a power source. I can't imagine anything being smaller.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100090.msg1544717.html#msg1544717

CMR & N-Box solutions are pretty comparable in size. The one thing about the CMR's is you need gain, as there is no preamp. Someone was using a mod'd D50's internal pre with good results. But you need both a battery box & a preamp of some sort, where as the N-box has all this in one.Also the CMR's require 2 cables (I think), where as the Nbox has a Y cable - not a huge deal, but every extra bit you don't have to haul when running low-pro helps.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Yes, portable and as light-weight as possible is important for me. Only taping (loud) rock music, don't know if that plays an important part in the big puzzle.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
Or even smaller will be removing the battery box and replacing it with PFA-M:

http://www.naiant.com/pfaspecification.html

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/cleverdevices.html

Even more smaller you can just get CCM4 (if you plan to use only MK4)
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
Or even smaller will be removing the battery box and replacing it with PFA-M:

http://www.naiant.com/pfaspecification.html

So the PFA will power Schoeps caps directly?  I don't think this will work, though someone with more technical expertise will have to chime in as to why.

And good point about CCMx caps.  If the OP doesn't need/want modular caps, the CCMx caps will work nicely and can be used with any "standard" preamp offering 48V phantom power -- no need for custom preamp solutions like the SX-M2/LS2, NBox, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
I ended up going with the CCM4's because I wanted the ability to run low profile with the Sonosax and then in open taping situations running with my Neve Portico.  So far I've been very happy.
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Online Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
And good point about CCMx caps.  If the OP doesn't need/want modular caps, the CCMx caps will work nicely and can be used with any "standard" preamp offering 48V phantom power -- no need for custom preamp solutions like the SX-M2/LS2, NBox, etc.

true, but then you still need an external pre or a full-featured recorder with a good pre with phantom power built in.  this trends away from the small size.  OP said he wanted the "smallest portable Schoeps rig possible".

my vote is with something like mk41v>nbox+>(insert mini recorder here, i.e. r09hr, dr07, mr1, ls10...).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »
The CCM4Ug seems a tad bigger than the MK4 and it would be nice to be able to shift between cardioid and hypers when it comes to indoors vs outdoor arena. But then again I'm not completely on top of everything here so maybe the other option means I don't need some other thing to carry around with me. :-P

The MK41v ( http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html#mk41v ) also seems bigger, but is perhaps better suited for loud music?

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
If you are simply looking for smallest rig possible then I agree this is your best bet. 

MK4/MK41's>KC5>Nbox>R-09HR. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:15:53 PM by nedstruzz »
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com