Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33438 times)

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Schoeps small rig
« on: July 13, 2009, 12:56:33 PM »
This topic is somewhat of a research for the future as Schoeps is currently out of my economic league, but nevertheless it doesn't hurt to get some information.

I'm seeking your help to find out what is the smallest portable Schoeps rig possible. I've read through some of Schoeps.de and searched TS and most of the results are topics about torrents, but not so many pictures or information I find useful. Perhaps it's there and I don't see it due to my limited knowledge on the topic so far.

From what I've gathered this is the smallest rig:

Schoeps MK4 > actives > Nbox+ > (recorder)

Now I'm not sure about the 3 first in that line. The MK4 is just the capsules (4 is cardioid, 41 is supercardioid) so I will need a "body", which is CMC6? These capsules have to be attached to the bodies and then there has to be a cable/cables ("actives"?) that goes to the preamp, which I've noticed many people use Nbox+ made by "schoepsnbox" on this forum. And finally a cable to get the signal from the preamp to the recorder. So I end up with this "shopping" list:

2x CMC6
2x MK4 capsules (or 41 if I want to go supercardioid)
actives
Nbox+ (preamp)
<-cable->
recorder

As you can see from my signature, my current rig is a small and I would say, fairly good rig, but when the time comes to move a step up I want to do some research beforehand.

If anyone has a picture of their Schoeps rig in "running" mode they can post here or send to me in a PM I would be very grateful. As a matter of fact, any information that is relevant is great :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »
This topic is somewhat of a research for the future as Schoeps is currently out of my economic league, but nevertheless it doesn't hurt to get some information.

I'm seeking your help to find out what is the smallest portable Schoeps rig possible. I've read through some of Schoeps.de and searched TS and most of the results are topics about torrents, but not so many pictures or information I find useful. Perhaps it's there and I don't see it due to my limited knowledge on the topic so far.

From what I've gathered this is the smallest rig:

Schoeps MK4 > actives > Nbox+ > (recorder)

Now I'm not sure about the 3 first in that line. The MK4 is just the capsules (4 is cardioid, 41 is supercardioid) so I will need a "body", which is CMC6? These capsules have to be attached to the bodies and then there has to be a cable/cables ("actives"?) that goes to the preamp, which I've noticed many people use Nbox+ made by "schoepsnbox" on this forum. And finally a cable to get the signal from the preamp to the recorder. So I end up with this "shopping" list:

2x CMC6
2x MK4 capsules (or 41 if I want to go supercardioid)
actives
Nbox+ (preamp)
<-cable->
recorder

As you can see from my signature, my current rig is a small and I would say, fairly good rig, but when the time comes to move a step up I want to do some research beforehand.

If anyone has a picture of their Schoeps rig in "running" mode they can post here or send to me in a PM I would be very grateful. As a matter of fact, any information that is relevant is great :)

Fixed that for you. The Nbox and special cable take the place of the two microphone bodies.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
Ah sweet, I learn something new every day. Thanks :)

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:32:08 PM »
Mk4>CKY cable>Sax>recorder is pretty small too. The n-box is smaller, but using a sax or nbox are the only ways to run the schoeps without bodies AFAIK. 
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline habit

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Archive Shows
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Mk4>CKY cable>Sax>recorder is pretty small too. The n-box is smaller, but using a sax or nbox are the only ways to run the schoeps without bodies AFAIK. 

VMS boxes as well. VMS02IB is pretty small.
Busman Mod R4 Pro | Schoeps M222 | Schoeps MK4 & 41

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51:31 PM »
cmr cables and a power source. I can't imagine anything being smaller.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100090.msg1544717.html#msg1544717

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:07 PM »
Mk4>CKY cable>Sax>recorder is pretty small too.

Just a clarification:  the Sax is actually the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2, sometimes called a "Lemosax", a factory-modified version of the standard SX-M2 preamp.  The Schoeps KCY cable can be ordered in whatever length you wish.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:07:29 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • beep boop
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »
cmr cables and a power source. I can't imagine anything being smaller.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,100090.msg1544717.html#msg1544717

CMR & N-Box solutions are pretty comparable in size. The one thing about the CMR's is you need gain, as there is no preamp. Someone was using a mod'd D50's internal pre with good results. But you need both a battery box & a preamp of some sort, where as the N-box has all this in one.Also the CMR's require 2 cables (I think), where as the Nbox has a Y cable - not a huge deal, but every extra bit you don't have to haul when running low-pro helps.
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:12:19 PM »
Yes, portable and as light-weight as possible is important for me. Only taping (loud) rock music, don't know if that plays an important part in the big puzzle.

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:58:13 PM »
Or even smaller will be removing the battery box and replacing it with PFA-M:

http://www.naiant.com/pfaspecification.html

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/cleverdevices.html

Even more smaller you can just get CCM4 (if you plan to use only MK4)
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
Or even smaller will be removing the battery box and replacing it with PFA-M:

http://www.naiant.com/pfaspecification.html

So the PFA will power Schoeps caps directly?  I don't think this will work, though someone with more technical expertise will have to chime in as to why.

And good point about CCMx caps.  If the OP doesn't need/want modular caps, the CCMx caps will work nicely and can be used with any "standard" preamp offering 48V phantom power -- no need for custom preamp solutions like the SX-M2/LS2, NBox, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »
I ended up going with the CCM4's because I wanted the ability to run low profile with the Sonosax and then in open taping situations running with my Neve Portico.  So far I've been very happy.
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
And good point about CCMx caps.  If the OP doesn't need/want modular caps, the CCMx caps will work nicely and can be used with any "standard" preamp offering 48V phantom power -- no need for custom preamp solutions like the SX-M2/LS2, NBox, etc.

true, but then you still need an external pre or a full-featured recorder with a good pre with phantom power built in.  this trends away from the small size.  OP said he wanted the "smallest portable Schoeps rig possible".

my vote is with something like mk41v>nbox+>(insert mini recorder here, i.e. r09hr, dr07, mr1, ls10...).
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 03:56:47 PM »
The CCM4Ug seems a tad bigger than the MK4 and it would be nice to be able to shift between cardioid and hypers when it comes to indoors vs outdoor arena. But then again I'm not completely on top of everything here so maybe the other option means I don't need some other thing to carry around with me. :-P

The MK41v ( http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html#mk41v ) also seems bigger, but is perhaps better suited for loud music?

Offline nedstruzz

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
If you are simply looking for smallest rig possible then I agree this is your best bet. 

MK4/MK41's>KC5>Nbox>R-09HR. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:15:53 PM by nedstruzz »
B&K 4023's >Neve Portico>744T

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
If you are simply looking for smallest rig possible then I agree this is your best bet. 

MK4/MK41's>KC5>NBbox>R-09HR. 

no KC5 required - the NBox uses a proprietary "active" cable.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 05:57:18 PM »
Is there a close up picture of an Nbox+ in the ts.com...I cannot see it anywhere when I did the search. Also is there a website where you can purchase an Nbox+ and how much?
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »
Is there a close up picture of an Nbox+ in the ts.com...I cannot see it anywhere when I did the search. Also is there a website where you can purchase an Nbox+ and how much?

No website....PM schoepsnbox for details on getting one.

Pic:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,111920.0.html

My LMA Recordings

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »
Nice, thanks for the picture. If anyone has any more pictures, please share :)

Are these the MK4s by the way? Seems larger than I imagined.

Thanks again for the information, now I need to find what these babies go for and where they can be bought when the itch is too strong (and the bank account stronger).

MK4/MK41 > Nbox (or Nbox+?) > recorder sounds smashing :)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 11:25:40 AM »
Nice, thanks for the picture. If anyone has any more pictures, please share :)

It's cap plus connector is what adds to it where as on schoeps site, you just see the cap seperately when looking at pics.

The CCM4Ug seems a tad bigger than the MK4 and it would be nice to be able to shift between cardioid and hypers when it comes to indoors vs outdoor arena. But then again I'm not completely on top of everything here so maybe the other option means I don't need some other thing to carry around with me. :-P

The MK41v ( http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/supercardioids.html#mk41v ) also seems bigger, but is perhaps better suited for loud music?

the MK (regular) and MK V series caps have two primary differences: front and side address, and one has more of a presence/HF bump while the other doesn't. It's more of a sound/flavor preference then loudness capability. Schoeps' site has all of the relevant data and charts for oogling to compare them.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 11:32:16 AM »

Look like 41's to me, but you can just barely see the pattern. 4's & 41's are the same size anyway.

They aren't tiny, that's for sure.

My LMA Recordings

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 02:11:57 PM »
A couple of additional points.

The CMR cable housing is quite a bit longer than the housing on the Nbox cable or KC5. Not by too much, but when the capsules are attached and the MK4/CMR combo is placed next to the mk4/CK5 combo it is definitely noticeable and when trying to conceal microphones every millimeter counts. Also if you are using standard Kwon bars, the spacing will be off though the included angle is the same.

Next point would be that the CMR decreases the sensitivity of the capsule by about 50%. The mk41 has a sensitivity of 14mV/PA when paired with an Nbox but only 8mV/Pa with the CMR. So you need more gain from your recorder assuming you are going mk41>CMR>R09HR. If you are using a preamp, in front of the recorder, it may not be a big deal, but then you are adding more bulk and could just use a Nbox.

All this said, I think the mk4V>CMR>R09HR would be a great setup to be used in the standard fashion since the length of the capsule+CMR housing is going horizontal to the axis of the PA. Also, the lower sensitivty might not be a problem since it is louder up front. This combination with a simple single 9V battery is way smaller than Nbox or any other preamp. The MK4V capsule is much more expensive than the MK4 though and if you can't afford the MK4V and want a card, I would go MK4>Nbox since the CMR housing would stick out to much to stealth in the standard fashion.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 04:16:07 PM »
Is the switch on the Nbox pretty secure from accidental switching on/off?  I would use the Nbox in a fanny pack so that would be a concern if I got one down the line. 

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 04:22:55 PM »
Is the switch on the Nbox pretty secure from accidental switching on/off?  I would use the Nbox in a fanny pack so that would be a concern if I got one down the line. 

yes, it is "locking" style.  you have to pull the lever out before it will move up/down.  the multi-pin binder for the active cable also "locks" via threads.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
Id say cmr>battery box>mic in to R09 is as small as it gets.

alternatively the cmr>church pre>line in to R09 etc is still smaller than an Nbox

cables used on CMRs are a lot thinner than the KC5 cables used on the nbox, so the 2 vs 1 cables shouldnt be a factor. its easy to make a CMR solution with a single KC5-sized cable

CMR & N-Box solutions are pretty comparable in size. The one thing about the CMR's is you need gain, as there is no preamp. Someone was using a mod'd D50's internal pre with good results. But you need both a battery box & a preamp of some sort, where as the N-box has all this in one.Also the CMR's require 2 cables (I think), where as the Nbox has a Y cable - not a huge deal, but every extra bit you don't have to haul when running low-pro helps.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »

cables used on CMRs are a lot thinner than the KC5 cables used on the nbox, so the 2 vs 1 cables shouldnt be a factor. its easy to make a CMR solution with a single KC5-sized cable

My N-Box cables definitely do not look like KC5's, they are way way thinner. And I have a 6' for stealthing, and a 10' extension for open taping.

My LMA Recordings

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »

My N-Box cables definitely do not look like KC5's, they are way way thinner. And I have a 6' for stealthing, and a 10' extension for open taping.

Nbox cables are maybe 1/2 the diameter of the KC5 - only the housing that the cap screws into is the same
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
well there you go, if its schoeps cable its probably the same 3mm 2 conductor+shield that the cmrs use. kc5 cable is 4 conductor+shield

you can buy this straight from redding:

3 Conductor & Shield 4 mm = $10.00 per meter
4 Conductor & Shield 4.4 mm = $10.00 per meter
2 Conductor & Shield 3 mm = $16.00 per meter (CMR/CCM L cable)

Nbox cables are maybe 1/2 the diameter of the KC5 - only the housing that the cap screws into is the same
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 07:37:39 PM »
ms, are the pfas the same circuit you sent me that fits inside of an xlr body?

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
So where is the "magic" in the cmr cables?  How are they powering the capsules at the proper working voltages?  Not being smart here, just wonder how exactly they are confiqured with the capsule ends.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:45:10 PM by schoepsnbox »

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
The magic is in the housing that screws to the capsule - that's why the housing is much longer than what you use.

Offline nottingham

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection Member
  • There's wisemen hiding in the mountains
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:23 PM »
The nbox is a great box, and I’ll most likely get one someday especially if I can have a variable gain control. I’m a ho that way. The difference for me with the cmr is a bit smaller foot print plus the battery life is forever............
Schoeps MK4-MK41>cmc6/Nbob actives/Naiant LB/Naiant TB > Sony M10/PMD620

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 12:53:59 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the schoeps cmbi bodies.  Probably a bit bigger than a CMR> CA ugly battery box setup, but a rig of mk caps>kc5> cmbi bodies> R09 would be very small.

The sound of the nbox as a preamp may be better than relying on the internal pre of the R09, but 2x cmbi bodies (~ 4" x 1.5" x 0.75") will be smaller than the nbox.  Not that any of these options is all that large in the scheme of things....
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 06:02:56 AM »
you cant use a kc5 with a cmbi according to schoeps...

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Lots of information and technical knowledge going over my head here  :laugh: But that's great!

Apparently the MK4s needs a lot of juice therefore the Nbox (Nbox+ better?) with its 4 9V-batteries is recommended? I see some of you mention Church-Audio's preamps, will they do the job just as good?

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:45 AM »
Lots of information and technical knowledge going over my head here  :laugh: But that's great!

Apparently the MK4s needs a lot of juice therefore the Nbox (Nbox+ better?) with its 4 9V-batteries is recommended? I see some of you mention Church-Audio's preamps, will they do the job just as good?

The Nbox supplies 60V to the capsule (same as the CMC6 body), the Sonosax supllies 48V and the Schoeps VMS021B preamp supplies 60V (I believe).

The CMRs require 9V power which is what the Church Audio preamp supplies. I would imagine that the head of the CMR (what screws onto the capsule) contains electronics which upconverts that 9V into a higher voltage, but I don't think anyone knows. It may be the need for upconversion from 9V that causes decreased sensitivity when compared to the alternatives.

I'm sure the Church Audio sounds great, but in my opinion, no the CMRs are not as good because they provide only 60% of the sensitivity from the same capsule on any other setup. It was the increased total length of the adapter+capsule and decreased sensitiviy that ultimately helped me decide to go with the Nbox.

BTW the Nbox+ is just an Nbox with upgraded (and more expensive) components. Nick can probably tell you more about the difference. There is a listening test that someone posted and the majority of people can not hear a difference between an Nbox and an Nbox+
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:07:18 AM by johnw »

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:35 AM »
BTW the Nbox+ is just an Nbox with upgraded (and more expensive) components. Nick can probably tell you more about the difference. There is a listening test that someone posted and the majority of people can not hear a difference between an Nbox and an Nbox+

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,123161.0.html

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2009, 12:25:44 PM »
yes, it is "locking" style.  you have to pull the lever out before it will move up/down.  the multi-pin binder for the active cable also "locks" via threads.

Thanks for the info!

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2009, 12:33:30 PM »
you cant use a kc5 with a cmbi according to schoeps...

Ah, I guess that explains everyone's silence on the cmbi.  Shows me to stick my nose into a schoeps thread. :P What's the smallest Milab rig, anyway? :D
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »
Physically does Nbox+ look the same as Nbox? How long does the Nbox(+) power the Schoeps caps for? Does it go in the mic-in or line-in of a recorder?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »
so if i was gonna spend the time assembling those would there be any sonic reason to buy the newer version from you first? or are they basically the same as the ones i have?

thanks again. sorry i never got around to testing them, i have a tendency to load my plate up too much sometimes :P

ms, are the pfas the same circuit you sent me that fits inside of an xlr body?

Essentially, although since I did yours I have moved all circuits to surface mount parts, which gives me more parts and thus better power regulation.  But it's just a regulated 9V supply plus an impedance-balanced output.  The only signal path component is one necessary capacitor.

That's just for the CMR, the circuit is different for high-impedance mics like the AT lapels and such.  For those mics, the PFA includes a buffer circuit.  That's not necessary for the CMR.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
its nto that much longer. def not 'deal killer' longer

The magic is in the housing that screws to the capsule - that's why the housing is much longer than what you use.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Physically does Nbox+ look the same as Nbox? How long does the Nbox(+) power the Schoeps caps for? Does it go in the mic-in or line-in of a recorder?

Physically they look the same, the inners are different....ie namely teflon capacitors.  The Nbox powers the schoeps for 10 hours on a fresh 4 9volts, the two pairs need to be swapped at the 5 hour mark.  It goes into the line in on any recorder. 

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »
its nto that much longer. def not 'deal killer' longer

Has anyone taken the active head apart on these cmr cables to see what's inside?

Offline SClassical

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »

Physically they look the same, the inners are different....ie namely teflon capacitors.  The Nbox powers the schoeps for 10 hours on a fresh 4 9volts, the two pairs need to be swapped at the 5 hour mark.  It goes into the line in on any recorder. 

Sorry to sound stupid, I just want to know more about the nbox(+)....If I'm going line-in that means the levels are adjusted on the nbox(+)?? I thought the nbox just power the mics.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »

Sorry to sound stupid, I just want to know more about the nbox(+)....If I'm going line-in that means the levels are
adjusted on the nbox(+)?? I thought the nbox just power the mics.

The Nbox also has a pre-amp built in...and powers the mics as well.  Fixed 20 db gain, levels would be set on the recorder.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »
gain structure aside, one item of note when considering size is that a single 9V will run a pair of CMRs for almost 200 hrs. im working on a batterybox design using the 6V sivler oxide (3xSR44) batteries the CMBIs use that  should run for close to 100 hrs and be the size of a baby bic

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
Maybe I don't get it, but to spend thousand of dollars on gear not to mention the price of tickets...your saying that your powering option is the best deal going..c'mon dude.

I get that you have a pair of these things you want to unload but don't compare what you are designing to a piece of gear that is tried and true.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »
wow settle down dude. my cmrs arent even for sale anymore.

not sure what youre trying to debate with your 'thousands of dollars of tickets' statement, maybe you typo'd and forgot to finish the sentence? This thread is about discussion of various schoeps small rig options , and as one of the few CMR owners on this board how can i not weigh in?

CMR is as tried-and-true as it gets. schoeps wouldnt put their name on it if it wasnt up to their standards. Myself and many others have been using the CMRs with excellent results.

and maybe im wrong but can you argue that something that uses 1/10 of the power to produce arguably similar results isnt in fact 'the best deal going' for powering in such an application? (yes im aware of the reduced output level, not a factor in mine and many others application). power takes up space, space is the subject of this thread. would be a disservice not to mention it here

Maybe I don't get it, but to spend thousand of dollars on gear not to mention the price of tickets...your saying that your powering option is the best deal going..c'mon dude.

I get that you have a pair of these things you want to unload but don't compare what you are designing to a piece of gear that is tried and true.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:37:07 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 06:45:33 PM by nottingham »

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
wow settle down dude. my cmrs arent even for sale anymore.

not sure what youre trying to debate, this thread is about discussion of various schoeps small rig options right?

CMR is as tried-and-true as it gets. schoeps wouldnt put their name on it if it wasnt up to their standards. Myself and many others have been using the CMRs with excellent results.

and maybe im wrong but can you argue that something that uses 1/10 of the power to produce arguably similar results isnt in fact 'the best deal going' for powering in such an application (yes im aware of the reduced output level, not a factor in mine and many others application). power takes up space, space is the subject of this thread. would be a disservice not to mention it here

Not looking for a debate, and I give you credit for all your R&D with the CMR cables.  However you are saying that they are the end all soultion for a small schoeps rig and while you and a few others are getting good results with them it sure does not mean that it is the best sounding solution is what I'm saying..You dig. 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
id report on the battery life of the church cmr pre but havent done extensive studies on it yet. similar to what you describe, its two 9V's one powering mics, one powering gain stage. Also worth swapping mid-battery life as the mic side sips power relative to the gain stage.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
yes, i dig that you are basically putting words in my mouth and claiming i said something i never did, which is bullshit, ya dig?

i never even brought up sound quality. you may notice that post was prefaced 'gain structure aside....'

obviously with a schoeps setup powering the capsules correctly to operate them at their full potential is the more difficult part. there are a dozen small preamp solutions not even considering internal gain stages of recorders. its up to the user to decide what preamp they want to use with these which is obviously highly subjective and probably outside the scope of this thread. yes an nbox is small and has a built in gain stage, a better apples to apples comparison would probably be nbox vs church pre+cmrs. sound quality would need to be evaluated but when it comes to powering the caps in a small footprint, the cmrs are gonna win everytime regardless of what you put behind them

Not looking for a debate, and I give you credit for all your R&D with the CMR cables.  However you are saying that they are the end all soultion for a small schoeps rig and while you and a few others are getting good results with them it sure does not mean that it is the best sounding solution is what I'm saying..You dig. 

Offline nottingham

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
There is no end all solution, it’s like a fine wine what is good to me is not good to the other guy. There is a seat for every butt.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
My question that has still gone unanswered is how much voltage is being applied to the capsule?? How is the CMR cables providing the good stuff that makes the mic do it's job properly?  Have you dissassembled the capsule end on these cables??  

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 07:01:43 PM »
i havent but im sure its got the proper electronics to drive the capsule inside of it. I'm guessing its basically the 10-year evolution of the cmbi, taking advantage of smaller component size. i believe those have reduced output relative to a cmc6 as well, and are most certainly unbalanced like a CMR.

maybe they have some tricks where they apply a little less voltage and trade it off for a little sensitivity, that would be a question for bernhard. i cant imagine the caps would work if you deviated too much from the 50-60V or whatever it is they want

My question that has still gone unanswered is how much voltage is being applied to the capsule?? How is the CMR cables providing the good stuff that makes the mic do it's job properly?  Have you dissassembled the capsule end on these cables?? 

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
yes, i dig that you are basically putting words in my mouth and claiming i said something i never did, which is bullshit, ya dig?

i never even brought up sound quality. you may notice that post was prefaced 'gain structure aside....'

obviously with a schoeps setup powering the capsules correctly to operate them at their full potential is the more difficult part. there are a dozen small preamp solutions not even considering internal gain stages of recorders. its up to the user to decide what preamp they want to use with these which is obviously highly subjective and probably outside the scope of this thread. yes an nbox is small and has a built in gain stage, a better apples to apples comparison would probably be nbox vs church pre+cmrs. sound quality would need to be evaluated but when it comes to powering the caps in a small footprint, the cmrs are gonna win everytime regardless of what you put behind them

I didn't put any words in your mouth but I'll put an Nbox up against your CMR cables and bet money the Nbox would blow them away every time...Now I said it..I think the CMR cables are an inferior way to run the Schoeps..My opinion :P

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
that said, considering the cost of KC5 cable ends, it may be worth your while to find this out. you could buy a  pair of them and figure out this stuff, and sell them with a version of the n-box that works with them at little or no cost to you. I'm sure youd learn something either way. sorry, i wont volunteer mine for surgery!

My question that has still gone unanswered is how much voltage is being applied to the capsule?? How is the CMR cables providing the good stuff that makes the mic do it's job properly?  Have you dissassembled the capsule end on these cables?? 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »
well thats some serious shit talking there! considering youve never laid your hands on a cmr.  :D

Youre on!

send me a gain stage that is identical schematic to the nbox but doesnt power the caps and i be glad to compare them, i have several friends with nboxes i can borrow

I didn't put any words in your mouth but I'll put an Nbox up against your CMR cables and bet money the Nbox would blow them away every time...Now I said it..I think the CMR cables are an inferior way to run the Schoeps..My opinion :P

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »
for reference, pic of church pre next to an R09. the pre is flipped over, but its about 3/4" thick on the other side of the batteries

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10466474@N04/3724440883/

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
well thats some serious shit talking there! considering youve never laid your hands on a cmr.  :D

Youre on!

send me a gain stage that is identical schematic to the nbox but doesnt power the caps and i be glad to compare them, i have several friends with nboxes i can borrow

So where are the comp recordings then???

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:23:52 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
i believe those have reduced output relative to a cmc6 as well, and are most certainly unbalanced like a CMR.

The schoeps web site reference the CMC6 sensitivity chart on the cmbi page, so that leads me to believe that any capsule has the same sensitivity when paired with a cmbi or CMC6 (unlike the CMR).

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2009, 07:19:47 PM »
what comps?

you cant compare a mic to a mic+pre, i need an equivalent gain stage to determine if the cmrs are in fact inferior to regular-powered active caps as you claim

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »
youre not gettin off that easy. that excuse only works with politicians, not electronics gurus!

Wild guesses though, Schoeps stuff is way above my pay grade . . .

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2009, 07:34:58 PM »
Here's a comparison, but I'd guess the SNR is lower on the CMR as compared to a CMC6

MK4/CMR                      mk4/CMC6
Sensitivity        8mV/Pa                        13mV/PA
noise level        29db CCIR/18db AW        24dB CCIR/15dB AW
S/N level          not published                 79db-A
max SPL          130dB SPL                      132dB SPL

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »
yeah ive seen that before. im assuming the most important part of that comparison any of that is the infinitesimally higher self noise. regardless of sensitivity, they both handle equivalent input levels.

sensitivity is not completely out of line considering the cmc6 is designed to drive high-level balanced equipment and the cmr is designed to feed lower level unbalanced gear.

also i beleive the 79db S/N is more a function of the capsule itself, so should be virtually identical.

capsule noise should exceed preamp/body noise of either setup for all intents and purposes

Here's a comparison, but I'd guess the SNR is lower on the CMR as compared to a CMC6

MK4/CMR                      mk4/CMC6
Sensitivity        8mV/Pa                        13mV/PA
noise level        29db CCIR/18db AW        24dB CCIR/15dB AW
S/N level          not published                 79db-A
max SPL          130dB SPL                      132dB SPL
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 07:40:38 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »

join the 60V parade!! 

what comps?

you cant compare a mic to a mic+pre, i need an equivalent gain stage to determine if the cmrs are in fact inferior to regular-powered active caps as you claim

so uh, my nbox has a bypass for the pre.  we call it the nbox s-type in minus mode.  lets do it. 

jerryfreak, shouldn't you be in the YS finding gear to buy from one member and sell to another at a profit?  i'm not sayin' i'm just sayin'

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »
plus, i cannot speak for nicky but i am sure he could build an nbox minus that only has the 60V power you crave.

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 08:12:50 PM »
said in your best redneck, whiskey drunk w.va voice  :P

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:16:37 PM by funkoff13 »

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
because sound quality really doesn't matter as long as it says schoeps cmr right mr. freak?

Youre on!

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 08:31:11 PM »
i think you need some new material, just sayin'. i think that joke got tired oh, a few years ago

unless youre gonna volunteer your nbox for this experiment, i dont see a lot of intelligent contribution to the thread from your end, just sayin'

jerryfreak, shouldn't you be in the YS finding gear to buy from one member and sell to another at a profit?  i'm not sayin' i'm just sayin'

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
that was the point....

i think i did offer up my box....maybe a reread is in order.  i have to admit i will need some sort of legally binding contract with you as i dont trust that you wouldn't sell it behind my back in the YS for a profit. 

and what does any of that have to do with the fact that you have ripped off other members. 

i think you need some new material, just sayin'. i think that joke got tired oh, a few years ago

unless youre gonna volunteer your nbox for this experiment, i dont see a lot of intelligent contribution to the thread from your end, just sayin'

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
hows this for an offer?

eat a  bag of dicks and ill borrow someone elses?

that was the point....

i think i did offer up my box....maybe a reread is in order.  i have to admit i will need some sort of legally binding contract with you as i dont trust that you wouldn't sell it behind my back in the YS for a profit. 

and what does any of that have to do with the fact that you have ripped off other members. 

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
 :gun: :rockets:

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
ahhhh brilliant, when your backed into a corner resort to the old dick sucking line....talk about originality  :laugh:

hows this for an offer?

eat a  bag of dicks and ill borrow someone elses?

that was the point....

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
i gotta laugh, ive never even heard of you, and i looked up your profile to see your posts. do you really just troll the ts board all day? pretty weak.

over it. i come here for intelligent discussion, if i wanna get trolled i'll go hang out on PT

i'm gonna borrow a friends n-box and report back. maybe i'll run it side-by-side the cmrs at RR if i can line up another set of 41s/4vs/21's

-out-

Offline funkoff13

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »
i gotta laugh, ive never even heard of you, and i looked up your profile to see your posts. do you really just troll the ts board all day? pretty weak.

over it. i come here for intelligent discussion, if i wanna get trolled i'll go hang out on PT

i'm gonna borrow a friends n-box and report back. maybe i'll run it side-by-side the cmrs at RR if i can line up another set of 41s/4vs/21's

-out-

hardly.

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
I don't think I made this topic so people could measure each other's e-penises, or maybe I did?  :laugh:

Anyway, what's the price range for MK4s and a Nbox? From some other topics I believe around $3000, but I could be wrong ofcourse

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
well mk4s go from 900(beat)-1600(new)/pair, generally a good newer matched pair is ~$1200. not all are created equal, theyve been making the mk4 for close to 30 years.

I don't think I made this topic so people could measure each other's e-penises, or maybe I did?  :laugh:

Anyway, what's the price range for MK4s and a Nbox? From some other topics I believe around $3000, but I could be wrong ofcourse

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »
The nbox is the best deal going for high quality sound in a small package.
Nicky has top notch service and fast turn around. I trust him, he's a taper  8)

I record in so many different situations,
so i need flexability......with the nbox i have it. 4's one night, 41's the next, maybe some M/S
no problem. Sounds super going into an r-44 as part of a 4 channel setup too.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »
Not to sound discouraging because I've wanted a Nbox for a while but the battery thing kept me from ever pursuing it any further. Anyone want to clarify the battery longevity issue. Don't you need to change after like 4 hours of run time?

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
The NBox uses 2 pairs of 9v's - one in parallel, one in series (this is why an exernal power solution is complicated).  I'm using rechargable Powerex "9.6v" cells and swap the pairs after 2.5-3 hrs for a total of 5-6 hrs per set of 4 (basically a single 2-set show of standard length).  I haven't pushed the rechargables to their limit yet.  On a fresh set of 4 Duracells, I run 4-5 hrs then swap the pairs for another 4-5 hrs - yeilding 8-10 hours per set of 4.  I've been burned twice in 3+ years using this technique.  Once I pushed it well past 5 hrs before it shut down.  The other I think I forgot that I had already swapped and swapped again and it shut down in <2hrs.  The battery appettite is definitely the one negatives of the NBox, but it sounds great and is arguably the smallest Schoeps power/pre solution available.

Not to sound discouraging because I've wanted a Nbox for a while but the battery thing kept me from ever pursuing it any further. Anyone want to clarify the battery longevity issue. Don't you need to change after like 4 hours of run time?

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »
i pm'd nick and havent heard back.

my friend larry said i can borrow his, but i dont know
a)if its the n-box or n-box+
b)if i can defeat the gain stage on it (he doesnt think so)

i asked nick to look up what model he has and also confirm if all, or just some, of the nboxes alow gain stage bypass (and if this is one of them)

hoping to find out soon, im doing a bunch of testing of new bit buckets, etc before Red rocks and it would be a good time for me.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
I believe there is currenlty only one nbox out there (owned by funkoff13) that has the variable gain option, all others have fixed ~+20.  Maybe Nick can chime in, but I don't think defeating the gain stage would be an easy task.  I'm sure it could be done, but it would certainly involve some digging through epoxy and soldering.

i asked nick to look up what model he has and also confirm if all, or just some, of the nboxes alow gain stage bypass (and if this is one of them)

hoping to find out soon, im doing a bunch of testing of new bit buckets, etc before Red rocks and it would be a good time for me.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
bummer.

dont know how i can do a real comp of a mic vs a mic+pre combo i cant break.

hopefully nick gets back to me i also offered to let him borrow a pair of cmrs for testing so we'll crack this nut one way or another.

I believe there is currenlty only one nbox out there (owned by funkoff13) that has the variable gain option, all others have fixed ~+20.  Maybe Nick can chime in, but I don't think defeating the gain stage would be an easy task.  I'm sure it could be done, but it would certainly involve some digging through epoxy and soldering.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
jerry -
larry's is the nbox+

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »

This is correct funkoff13 is the only Nbox type-s out there...His box in addition to having gain pots has dip switches inside to bypass the internal pre and feed an unbalanced mic line signal and runs on 2 9volts for 400 hours ;)...To feed external pre's or run mic in on any recorder...Still supplies the capsules with 60volts 8)  It's a unique unit just like doubledee himself.  Perhaps we can line something up for a comp?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
considering that guys been nothing but an dick to me for no reason id rather not deal with it.

any other gear you have around that we can comp with? can you build a simple fixed gain stage thats the equivalent of whats in the nbox for me to put behind a cmr battery box?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:09:55 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but I've started researching more and I'm uncertain whether to choose MK4 or MK41. I've downloaded "Hungry Heart" by Springsteen live in Philadelphia Oct 20, 2009 which has both a MK4 (taped by Nicky C) and a MK41 source (taped by Tapehead2) and to me the MK4 sounds more upfront and the instruments less "meshed" together compared to the MK41-source, whereas MK4 sounds more prone for audience noise. Also the recording positions are different, centre floor vs section 211 so I know that's a important factor to consider.

Apart from using my own ears, what are your own experiences? Why did you choose MK4 over the MK41, or vice-versa?

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
get em both, it's just credit.... ;-)

in all seriousness, unless you are in the 'perfect location' everytime, the mk41 (hypers) are a much mroe versatile mic capsule. 

Offline sparkey

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
I agree.  Hypercards are the best all around way to go with the Schoeps. 

get em both, it's just credit.... ;-)

in all seriousness, unless you are in the 'perfect location' everytime, the mk41 (hypers) are a much mroe versatile mic capsule.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2010, 04:11:58 PM »
first off, I wouldn't compare the caps unless the positioning is pretty close in the venue.  I owned the mk4s along with 41s, but when push came to shove and I had to part with one pair, I sold my mk4s.  I think the 4s are actually a more versatile cap, but I usually find myself taping from a distance, in less than ideal rooms, with bass heavy bands so I stuck with the mk41s.  It's all about what you're planning on recording, honestly.  That's the beauty of the schoeps caps; there's a tool for every job.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »
I don't own any Schoeps, but have been fortunate to have access to a pair of 41v's......  and can say that I've pulled some pretty good recordings from some not so ideal taping locations with the 41v's.  If I were in your position, I'd go with the 41's as well.  The mk4's will make for a nice second set of caps some day.....
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline sparkey

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »
  The mk4's will make for a nice second set of caps some day.....

My 2nd pair of caps (which will probably never happen at this point) would be subcards.  Any time I've been close enough to run cards, I'm close enough to run sub-cards.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »
Overall, I too would recommend the 41's. But I can't say you'd regret the 4's either. It really does depend on your circumstance. The 4's sound wonderful outdoors or close-up indoors.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline sparkey

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
I don't like cards cuz I think they are a bad compromise between hypers and subs.  I've been much happier with my hypers for what I do.

Overall, I too would recommend the 41's. But I can't say you'd regret the 4's either. It really does depend on your circumstance. The 4's sound wonderful outdoors or close-up indoors.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2010, 01:13:46 PM »
I have mk4's with the N Box and 09 and you can PM me if you want more information. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
First off, that Springsteen concert you mentioned is a bad show to listen to what the schoeps can do. I was there and thought the sound was terrible.

I have the 4's and 41's and wouldn't give up either pair. In certain venues the 41's shine,
outside as others have mentioned the 4's will be better and if you get up close in a great
sounding room or hall the 4's will be better.

Everything depends on what you tape, where you tape and what position you tape from.
If you get bad seats all the time, go for the 41's.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2010, 10:37:18 AM »
just go really small and get dpas! :)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2010, 11:21:04 AM »
I love my DPA Omnis--what a gorgious open sound.  For day in day out taping, the mk4s beat everything I've owned, and do buy the best seats I can.   You are not going eyeglass them, so it has to be open or a hat rig of some sort.

The N-Box has some drawbacks, but nothing that you can't work with.  It has a voracious battery appetite--so what?  I load it up and yeah, change one set of the batteries after about 4 hours.  Its fine.  If its a crucial tape, I switch them all out.  I've probably spent $30-50 for the ticket, another $20 bucks on drinks or intoxicants, $10 for parking and $5 for gas.  Sheesh, do you think I'd blink at another $5 for a fresh of batteries?  I hit the crapper and change them out. 

PM me and I'll send you a couple tapes or do a search on The Dime for Ed Tyre's stuff or mine.   

Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:11 AM »
If I could only have one set of caps... mk4's.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2010, 02:10:36 PM »
I love my DPA Omnis

i was talking about the cards (or subcards) :)

Offline schoepsnbox

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »

The MK4's from a place called sweet are most certainly hard to beat.

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
Thanks for all the input people, looks like it's going to be tough to decide. And then there's the MK22 as well, or is that more for open taping?

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2010, 02:25:07 PM »

I have the 4's and 41's and wouldn't give up either pair. In certain venues the 41's shine,
outside as others have mentioned the 4's will be better and if you get up close in a great
sounding room or hall the 4's will be better.

Everything depends on what you tape, where you tape and what position you tape from.
If you get bad seats all the time, go for the 41's.

I agree with Ed.   Each cap has its purpose. 

I started out with the 41's, love(d) them, and eventually picked up a pair of 4's.  I'd say now that my 4's are in use 85/90% of the time.  I'm usually in pretty good seats and mostly stay away from arena-type shows.  But it's great to have the 41's in reserve for those less-than-ideal rooms or the rare stadium/arena show.  The 41's also come out if I'm running open and forced to run from the back in a deep, deep room.

Picked up some MK4v's a while back thinking they'd eventually replace my MK4's . . . only to discover that, depending upon the style of hat I wear, I need both.   ;D

Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
What Ed said.  The sound there was simply awful.  I almost didn't post my recording.

First off, that Springsteen concert you mentioned is a bad show to listen to what the schoeps can do. I was there and thought the sound was terrible.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline skaggs

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
what josephine said.  i have 4's, 41's and 2s.  definately like them split outdoors. 

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2011, 08:05:43 AM »
Sorry to bump my own topic, but I'm going to Washington DC in about a month because my short movie is going to screen at DC Shorts, a festival there. During that time I wondered if anyone know of any good stores where I might be able to pick up some components to a Schoeps rig, I really like Darktrain's rig (MK41 caps, CMR, tinybox, M10 etc)? Maybe I'll buy some stuff in the yard sale on the forum, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to take a look at some stores and maybe save some money on shipping. The dollar is favourably low compared to the Norwegian currency as well.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Sorry to bump my own topic, but I'm going to Washington DC in about a month because my short movie is going to screen at DC Shorts, a festival there. During that time I wondered if anyone know of any good stores where I might be able to pick up some components to a Schoeps rig, I really like Darktrain's rig (MK41 caps, CMR, tinybox, M10 etc)? Maybe I'll buy some stuff in the yard sale on the forum, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to take a look at some stores and maybe save some money on shipping. The dollar is favourably low compared to the Norwegian currency as well.

Might ask here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144279.0
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »

the money you pay in taxes will probably be higher than the shipping charges. Most Schoeps retailers don't keep stock. Contact Professional Sound for pricing and they will ship to you quickly. You can email Justin@pro-sound.com for pricing

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2011, 11:51:09 AM »

the money you pay in taxes will probably be higher than the shipping charges. Most Schoeps retailers don't keep stock. Contact Professional Sound for pricing and they will ship to you quickly. You can email Justin@pro-sound.com for pricing

I agree with all of that (including contacting Justin), and I wonder what the VAT for EU import would be, that might be enough to tip it in favor of getting it here and taking it home. Something to look into before coming state-side.

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:05 PM »

I agree with all of that (including contacting Justin), and I wonder what the VAT for EU import would be, that might be enough to tip it in favor of getting it here and taking it home. Something to look into before coming state-side.

He will be in the states so it will be a domestic purchase. no importation tax if he brings it back on his person.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »

He will be in the states so it will be a domestic purchase. no importation tax if he brings it back on his person.

yes, mine was in reference to shipping if he gets it shipped to the EU it will go through customs (with VAT).

What I think you're getting at is if he has time, to contact Pro-Sound and have it shipped to his hotel right as he arrives so he can take it home himself. That would get the best of both worlds.

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »
I guess my "shopping list" would be:

2x MK41 caps > 2x CMR(-cables) terminated to mini-XLR (4-pin? 5? 6?) > tinybox (6-pin mini-xlr input, afaik this needs to be ordered from Naiant) > Sony M10. I'm not going to buy everything in 1 go I think as my bank account would probably bend backwards haha.

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2011, 05:53:47 PM »
Well i would say get the tinybox because you can also set up your AT's to run off that as well, they are six pin now so people have been having Jon build them a single six pin to duel three pin breakout cable then just terminate each of your mics with single three pin minis , the cmrs and mk41's arent much good without a power source but maybe the cost savings will be great enough to do it and compared to the cost of the caps and cmrs the tinybox is not much(less than 200)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »

Agreed, I deal w/ Justin at Pro Sound as well. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED salesperson :) I ordered my KCY from him a few weeks back. Just waiting on Germany to send it to Justin, so he can then send it my way ;D 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »
I'm in contact with Justin now, so I might bite the bullet and order CMRs and a M10 from him. However, should the CMRs be terminated into one 5-pin or 4-pin mini XLR? I've seen numbers from 4-6 in various topics on the forum  ???

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2011, 05:06:07 PM »
I'm in contact with Justin now, so I might bite the bullet and order CMRs and a M10 from him. However, should the CMRs be terminated into one 5-pin or 4-pin mini XLR? I've seen numbers from 4-6 in various topics on the forum  ???

It can be whatever it needs to be depending on your use case. If you want to run directly into a Tinybox/LittleBox v1.5, you'll need a 6pin.

With adapter cables, any configuration is possible. Feel free to shoot me a PM to discuss specifics. There are a lot of options.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »

Awesome, congrats :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2011, 01:18:45 PM »
Tinybox is six pin so they either need to be wired to a single six pin or have jon build a y cable with the tinybox that will go six pin from tinybox to two three pin mini xlrs and then the cmrs would just each need to be wired each to its own three pin mini xlr, i have personally wired up 7 sets of cmrs now so pm me if you have any questions

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2011, 01:31:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the help, I really appreciate it. Fortunately Justin has the opportunity to mod the CMRs into one mini XLR so I think I will have him do it for me.

For now I'll wait with the Tinybox and MK41 caps. I tried buying MK41s from "nottingham" in the yard sale, but someone beat me to it. Maybe a sign from above (or something) for me not to spend too much in one go haha.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.344 seconds with 147 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com