Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: BEST GEAR BAG???  (Read 20027 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: BEST GEAR BAG???
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:10 PM »
IMO:  Petrol, Portabrace, and Kata are too flashy for me.  They got "mug me" written all over them.  I like a low profile bag:  no logos, good protection, in a very dark color.   I vote for a Lowepro Nova series bag (black), with tape over the logo.  My 2 cents

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »
Damn, what are you recording?  Subway performers in NYC???  ;D

point taken
a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2010, 11:12:08 PM »
It's not the bag but the individual carrying the bag that says "mug me". Not that I'm some sort of "tough guy" but I think anyone trying to take several thousands of dollars worth of equipment from me is going to leave with a mark that will last a lifetime. The way I look at it, we have several K invested in our equipment, I'm going to put it into a nice bag that I know will protect my equipment and let me have access to it when I need to. If you want to carry several thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a plastic Wal-mart grocery bag, so be it. It's personal preference at this point. Just remember to double bag for added strength  ;D
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 12:05:34 AM »
IMO:  Petrol, Portabrace, and Kata are too flashy for me.  They got "mug me" written all over them.  I like a low profile bag:  no logos, good protection, in a very dark color.   I vote for a Lowepro Nova series bag (black), with tape over the logo.  My 2 cents

I'm with Dan here. I have thousands of dollars worth of high end gear in my black Lowepro bag, and it doesn't say "Expensive Gear Inside" like the Petrol and Portabrace.
When my bag is on the floor closed up, it doesn't get any attention at all. YMMV
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 07:14:19 AM »
I grabbed on of these lowepro, and I really like the built in rain cover.  Not to flashy, inexpense, and well constructed.

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Nova-190-AW-Black/dp/B0016JA3AQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272712303&sr=8-7
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:26:27 PM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 11:03:39 AM »
Damn where are you guys taping that you need to worry about someone jacking your gear?   That does not seem fun.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
That's what I said!!!!!!  Either I am completely ignorant and need to wise up or I'm just taping in super friendly environments

FWIO I went with the Pegz 1  got a good deal...my buddy runs that bag and I looked at his and it is going to be great thanks for all the input everyone
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:14 PM »
^^^Hey BP......  at the UM shows at First Ave, a dude came up to me and was curious about all of our gear.......   all the flashing lights and what not.  And eventually he asked me how much it costs to get into taping.....  I told him, as little as a couple of hundred buck.  Then he asked me how many thousands of dollars did you guys spend?  I gave him a nasty look and said not now man....  this isn't the time or place to talk about it.  I think that this was the second night.... then he was around the section again on the third night.  I think that he had innocent intentions.....  but ya never know.  All it takes is one dip shit to follow one of us out and try some shit......  yeah we got mic stands, but who knows what he's got?  I don't necessarily like the "flashy" bags either.  When I want to keep my taping concealed, I go with the Mountainsmith Daypack in black.  If I'm not concerned, then the Lowepro Nova5 in forest green/black.  It's definitely something to consider if you tape in "sketchy" venues or even if you are a regular at venue.  YMMV.   
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 01:36:31 PM »
good to know, i think i was too focused on the drunk asshole that kept pushing us into the stands...i cant wait for the day we have to start packin heat so we can tape a f'in show....oh well
if somebody wants my shit bad enough to resort to physical violence I guess they can have it.  I try to make an effort to not leave my gear unattended.  I think i shall drop a gps in the bag from now on >:D
a
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:05 AM »
^^^Hey BP......  at the UM shows at First Ave, a dude came up to me and was curious about all of our gear.......   all the flashing lights and what not.  And eventually he asked me how much it costs to get into taping.....  I told him, as little as a couple of hundred buck.  Then he asked me how many thousands of dollars did you guys spend?  I gave him a nasty look and said not now man....  this isn't the time or place to talk about it.  I think that this was the second night.... then he was around the section again on the third night.  I think that he had innocent intentions.....  but ya never know.  All it takes is one dip shit to follow one of us out and try some shit......  yeah we got mic stands, but who knows what he's got?  I don't necessarily like the "flashy" bags either.  When I want to keep my taping concealed, I go with the Mountainsmith Daypack in black.  If I'm not concerned, then the Lowepro Nova5 in forest green/black.  It's definitely something to consider if you tape in "sketchy" venues or even if you are a regular at venue.  YMMV.   

^
I think that I remember that dude talking to you.  Glad that you moved him along...   >:D  When people ask me about gear prices I always make some comment like you can spend as little or as much as you want, just like with any other "hobby".  I NEVER leave my gear unattended and it is always comforting to have "strength in numbers" for that 2am stroll back to your car.

My sonicase 4 shelf bag is my bag of choice...

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:28:54 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
Since I started streaming shows, I went up one size from the Lowepro to a KATA. I needed room for my 13" laptop, and a little breathing room for my V3's.  I really don't think it is that flashy. I went from all Black to Black and Gray.

The only real size difference from the Nova is that it is about an inch taller and inch wider and the side pockets are added on.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/426293-REG/Kata_KT_WS_606_WS_606_GDC_Shoulder_Case.html

When the rig is wired up, the mic capsules are in the Pelican box, and the batteries and mic bodies replace the mic boxes. Also if there is no chance of rain, I just leave the batteries in the outer pocket to the right of the V3's.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:02:34 PM by coloartist »
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
^
Hmmm.  That looks very nice indeed!!   ;D    Are your V3's on stilts and if they are how are you "elevating" your sd744?  I may be selling my Petrol Pegz-3...

KATA bag:

Exterior Dimensions 21.2 x 12.5 x 12.5" (54 x 32 x 32 cm) (LxWxH)

Interior Dimensions Main Compartment: 14.1 x 10.2 x 9.4" (36 x 26 x 24 cm) (LxWxH)

Weight 4.63 lb (2.1 kg)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:47:11 AM by dactylus »

Offline coloartist

« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 11:39:47 AM »
My V3's are on stilts. The 744t just has a big 7800mah battery on it that raises it a little. It definitely sits an inch below the V3.

I have to add, it is really nicely padded.
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:38 AM »
My V3's are on stilts. The 744t just has a big 7800mah battery on it that raises it a little. It definitely sits an inch below the V3.

I have to add, it is really nicely padded.

^
Thank you for the info.  It appears to be tall enough so that a portico 5012 would fit in there too. 

I can see one of those KATA bags in my future. 

;D

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:50:59 AM by dactylus »

Offline coloartist

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
One more thing. The bag is a little heavy, but it has this bottom that keeps the bag above water and beer!

Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com