Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-05 RECORDING SNAFU  (Read 17076 times)

Offline VinceG.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
TASCAM DR-05 RECORDING SNAFU
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:09:53 AM »
Just tested my Tascam DR-05 out on a show tonight. I checked, re-checked, and re-re-checked all my settings prior to the show, and everything was set the way it was supposed to be. However, after the show, I noticed that out of a near 3 hour performance, I had only managed to record 30 minutes. I'm quite pissed, to say the least. I have a 16 GB card in it, yet I noticed under the "Record" settings it only went as high as 2 GB, which allowed for 2 hr 04 min of supposed recording time. I couldn't find anything that would let me ammend the settings to a higher card capacity. Yet, the owner's manual states that an 8 GB should have allowed me to record for up to 4 hr 04 min, so I'm guessing that a 16 GB card should have let me record much longer. I can't find anything in my owner's manual that would give me a clue as to what went wrong with tonight's recording.

Does someone have a clue as to what the hell happened, or what I missed? Thank you.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: TASCAM DR-05 RECORDING SNAFU
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:35 AM »
Sounds to me like either (a) "STOP" got hit at some point or (b) some kind of card error.  Is the 30 min you recorded there?  It sounds like yes.  That suggests to me that something just hit 'stop'. 

Did you have HOLD on?
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
I forgot to mention, yes...I did have "Hold" enabled, and out of a near 3 hour show, only 30 minutes of material was actually recorded. When I discreetly  looked down at the recorder about 10 minutes prior to the show's end,  I noticed a "FILE ERROR" message.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »
it probably doesn't like that card for whatever reason. i've had that happen before in my DR-07.

they are supposed to support 16GB cards, but it's flaky. try an 8.

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
Almost 3 hours? On 26th April?

Was the show at the LA Sports Arena, by any chance...?

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
No, this was a comedy show in Denver. This is/was the only show I had tickets to that I could road test it at. The next one won't be until late May.

The max file size says "2 GB" under the file size settings, and my card size is 16 GB.

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
The max file size says "2 GB" under the file size settings, and my card size is 16 GB.

That's normal. It is the maximum file size that can be written on to the card. If your recording goes longer than 2 gigs, it will produce a second file and the transition between the two is seamless. Just takes a few seconds to combine the files in Audacity or another audio editor.

Offline sabre

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
What sort of card are you using? Where did you buy it from? There are a lot of fake cards on eBay.

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
I didn't buy my card off ebay. It's the card that came with my cell phone. As for my recording producing a second file, that wasn't so in this case.  :(

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:41:11 AM »
Cheap batteries, perhaps?

I've had it happen to me before, when I was running an R-09HR.  Put fresh (but cheap brand) batteries in the recorder prior to the show.  Everything ran normal at first, but when I came to transfer the file later it had stopped recording after 30, 40 minutes.

I run an M10 now -- as we all know, the battery life is amazing -- but I still make sure I only use premium Duracells or Energizers.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
the presence of the "file error" message tells me that probably it wasn't the stop button being hit accidently, more that it didn't like that card......... is the recorder's firmware up to date??  did you re-format the card beforehand?? sometimes just deleting files off it doesn't clear up the card..... the closest thing I ever had happen to me like what you describe was a few years ago, I hadn't updated the R09 firmware that would allow it to handle more than a 4gb card.... not knowing this, I'd started using an 8gb card and at one show, everything was fine up until it hit the 2gb file size limit.... instead of rolling over into a new file, it kept writing a never ending series of 1 byte files to the recorder....  in any case, for this error, there's no need to wait for another show to test out your recorder.... try a different (perhaps smaller) card, put a fresh set of batteries in it, hit record and see what happens, hopefully it goes on longer than the 30 minutes you got at that show.....

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
always do a full format with the card in the recorder you use. Use fresh charged batteries or power supply for that full format can take up to an hour with 16 gig card (measured with my dr-05), the old tascam Dr07 i had also sometimes disliked the cards when formatted in the computer only. for me lucky just the Wave header was damaged and i was able to fix it.

i don't use 32 gig cards anymore, mostly 8 ore only 4 gig cards, on festivals one card per day or per act. so if one card is f*cked not all tapes are lost.

2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline VinceG.

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:08 AM »
Batteries were fresh out of the package. Before inserting the 16 GB card, I reformatted it. I looked, but didn't see anything in the owner's manual about updating firmware (unless I looked past it).

I was thinking, after reading the manual and the length of time each card is supposed to give you depending on the settings, that maybe it was the card and I should have tried using a smaller card, like an 8 GB.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 12:55:34 AM »
Yep, sounds like the card just didnt like your DR05. ALWAYS format before each show, and use fresh batts.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 08:26:40 AM »
and use fresh batts.

That's a waste of money. Use low self discharge NiMh's. They hold their charge a lot longer than regular NiMh's and also seem to last a lot longer before you need to replace them.

I recommend the Imedion 2400 mAh's as the best bang for the buck.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com