Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording to an iPhone5?  (Read 12910 times)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: recording to an iPhone5?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
Got this e-mail from RØDE recently, looks like they bought out the app they were using from Audiofile Engineering. . .

RØDE Microphones is excited to announce its purchase of the acclaimed FiRe audio recording application for Apple iOS devices, from leading US based developer, Audiofile Engineering.

Audiofile are considered one of the world’s best audio software development studios across all iOS platforms. This acquisition now makes RØDE the world leader in iOS based audio recording innovation and expertise.

Under the terms of the agreement, RØDE has taken complete ownership of the app as well as the fundamental code. In the next few months RØDE will release improved versions of its existing app based on the FiRe platform, RØDE Rec, and is working on new, advanced hardware.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 06:39:24 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 07:47:18 PM »
For the iPhone 4 there's the Fostex AR-4i:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/AR-4i.shtml
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »
For the iPhone 4 there's the Fostex AR-4i:

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/AR-4i.shtml

Interesting, to say the least. This means some taper with just a small amount of $$, will buy one of these and consider themselves a "tapir" :P
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
WoW! Who knew about all these iPhone accessories...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 04:49:58 AM »
there are some solutions for Iphone4 but I have not seen one for the 5

wouldn't they work either way? 

in particular, i'm looking for something that can go headphone in and not lightning cable in (at an extra cost).

maybe that's what you meant for "works with an iPhone4"...

although... if he had the $30 iPhone4 to 5 adapter... it might work, right?
I use that adapter with a stereo input accessory they sell at the apple store, the only complaint i have is that it uses  the iphone as power and doesn't allow you to use external power, i usually like to keep the phone plugged in when i stream etc
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:14:48 AM by Chimney Top »

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 02:44:52 AM »
Rode iXY for iPhone is an alternative.

http://m.ixymic.com/

I've seen one of these in action, twice now on two separate occasions by the same dude. He said he makes really good recordings (24/96 even) with it, but I have yet to hear anything he's made. He said there is an option to automatically upload the files to dropbox and one other cloud solution, but the name escapes me.
I know that you can't play back 24 bit on the phone, don't know about recording.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline voodoostrat

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Well here's my 2¢, I bought a Tascam iM2x and attempted 4 recordings using it with a 4th generation iPod vs using my iphone4 (I didn't trust the calls or texts ruining the recording). The first attempt I recorded the entire show but about halfway through the recording became distorted. The 2nd effort was even worse, the thing just stopped about 30 mins into the show, this also happened on my 3rd & 4th attempts. I will say when it did record it was acceptable, not stellar, but listenable.

I finally tossed in the towel and bought some CA's, battery box, and a M10...I just wish I would have bought them sooner instead of going on the bare bones cheap road. I missed some great shows. The difference between my new small rig vs the idevice & Tascam is night and day. I Hope this helps your friend.

Also, I know this is a older thread, but I'm hoping my reply will still help someone contemplating a idevice mic setup.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:28:04 PM by voodoostrat »

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »
Well here's my 2¢, I bought a Tascam iM2x and attempted 4 recordings using it with a 4th generation iPod vs using my iphone4 (I didn't trust the calls or texts ruining the recording). The first attempt I recorded the entire show but about halfway through the recording became distorted. The 2nd effort was even worse, the thing just stopped about 30 mins into the show, this also happened on my 3rd & 4th attempts. I will say when it did record it was acceptable, not stellar, but listenable.

I finally tossed in the towel and bought some CA's, battery box, and a M10...I just wish I would have bought them sooner instead of going on the bare bones cheap road. I missed some great shows. The difference between my new small rig vs the idevice & Tascam is night and day. I Hope this helps your friend.

Also, I know this is a older thread, but I'm hoping my reply will still help someone contemplating a idevice mic setup.

Proves you get what you pay for.  So here is my question.  Which is inferior?  An Iphone with external cheapo mics or a zoomie? 

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
I know that you can't play back 24 bit on the phone, don't know about recording.

You absolutely can play back 24 bits on the iPhone. The Onkyo HF Player app ($10) can play files up to 24/192 through the Lightning port if the unit is connected to a DAC that accepts the signal.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 11:02:42 PM »
That Apogee Jam Guitar Input is clearly mono. But it does say it records in 24/96.

From the page:
Upgraded sound quality with punchy, clean-amp tone
Designed for electric guitar bass, and acoustic guitar works with pickup
Up to 96 kHz/24-bit HD recording

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com