Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Taper  (Read 43078 times)

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
Re: New Taper
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2006, 01:43:12 PM »
What does that do?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2006, 02:05:02 PM »
What does that do?

The AD20 is a mic preamp and analog>digital convertor.  In otherwords, it will take the weak signal from your analog mics and add gain (increase volume) via right and left input dials.  It will also convert the analog mic signal into a digital SPDIF signal for recording via the SPDIF input on your recorder. 

The AD20 does NOT provide phantom power.  Many people get the PS2 for phantom power (powers the mics) as it is matched for use with the AD20.

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2006, 02:16:57 PM »
Is it like the Edirol?

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2006, 02:30:26 PM »

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2006, 02:32:54 PM »
Your final beginner's rig should look similar to this:

SuperLux mics > 2x XLR cables * > PS2 ** (or ART Phantom 3) > AD20 *** > JB3 (or recorder with optical SPDIF input).

*  The XLR cables can be bought at most music stores.  They have a male 3-pin XLR plug on one end and a female on the other.  Get 2 15' cables, you'll need the length once your mics are 10' in the air on the new stand.  Find a cheap "light" stand on EBAY (mine was $30), and then buy the mic thread adapter (~$5).

** The PS2 or ART 3 provides Phantom Power.  The Superlux requires 48v, which both the PS2 and ART supply.  Both run off batteries.  Each provides an analog output.

*** You will need to run the phantom line out into a preamp to increase gain (turn up volume).  Most recorders have an internal preamp, so this is optional.  If you get a Nomad 3, you can run the phantom line-in into the Nomad and use the Nomad's internal preamp to adjust gain.  Or you can get an external preamp, like the AD20.  Some units include both phantom and preamp in one device.  The Sound Devices MP2 is a great example as is the Lunatec V2.

The AD20 is also an analog>digital convertor.  This will convert the analog signal to a SPDIF signal that many recorders use.  There are 2 kinds of SPDIF - coax (looks like a single RCA plug) or TOSLINK (usually called Optical).  The Nomad 3 and most MD players use optical, while most DATs use coax. 

Most people like to use external preamps and AD convertors because the separate pieces allow for more fine-tuning of the signal, and also reduces any electronic noise that may be generated from a spinning hard-drive recorder, etc.  Plus the more gadgets, the better, right!?!

There are also devices that do all 3 in one box.  The UA5 is such a device, although you MUST get one modified for stand-alone use in order for it to be useful.  2 common mods are the Oade Mods (Warm, Presence, Transparent) and the BusMan Mods.  The Lunatec V3 is another such device.

As for prices, etc.  I'd stick with the SuperLux, get the ART3, and the Nomad 3.  For now, these items will give you great starter tapes until you can upgrade.  I'd say the first upgrade should be going from ART3 to a UA5.

Other things you'll need:
-cable from ART3 to Nomad 3.  You'll have to check with the ART3 to see exactly what you need...

-carry bag.  Some people use a padded 12-pack cooler bag from WalMart.  Cheap, padded, water-resistant, and easy.

-flashlight, pens, paper, duct tape, velcro cable-ties...

Good luck!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2006, 02:35:56 PM »
Is it like the Edirol?

Yes, except the Edirol UA5 provides Phantom Power while the AD20 does not.  Hence the need for the PS2 or ART3.

Terry

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
Is it like the Edirol?

Yes, except the Edirol UA5 provides Phantom Power while the AD20 does not.  Hence the need for the PS2 or ART3.

Terry

If you buy mics, like the AKG C1000s, that have their own internal battery, you will not need the PS2.  The battery provides the phantom power, therefore the AD20 is all you need. 

Terry

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 02:44:22 PM »
Can I just run:

H8k's->2x XLR Cables->Phantom Supply-> JB3?

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 03:02:37 PM »
Can I just run:

H8k's->2x XLR Cables->Phantom Supply-> JB3?

Yes.  By doing this, you will using the internal preamp and AD convertor inside the Nomad 3 (JB3).  Use the Line-In function on the JB3 and you can set the gain (increase the volume).  The JB3 will also convert the analog signal to a digital signal. 

Depending on the Phantom Power unit you get, you will have to get a cable from it to the Nomad 3.  Radio Shack should carry this for cheap, or someone here can make one for you cheap.

*** You will need to run the phantom line out into a preamp to increase gain (turn up volume).  Most recorders have an internal preamp, so this is optional.  If you get a Nomad 3, you can run the phantom line-in into the Nomad and use the Nomad's internal preamp to adjust gain.  Or you can get an external preamp, like the AD20.  Some units include both phantom and preamp in one device.  The Sound Devices MP2 is a great example as is the Lunatec V2.

Terry

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 03:12:00 PM »
??? the jb3 can do an a>d  :o
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 03:15:19 PM »

Via the line-in.  There is no digi-out though, so no, its not a true ADC.  It just has one inside to convert its analog Line-In to WAV for saving to the HD.

Terry

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 03:38:06 PM »
And later on I can buy the Edirol and add it in, correct?

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
And later on I can buy the Edirol and add it in, correct?
yes and then dumb the power supply

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 03:44:57 PM »

it can, but not very well. 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline svenkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 03:49:00 PM »
just for refrence, the Lunatec V3 is a great preamp, it can provide phantom power, is an a>d convertyer, and can ive both spdif and optical outs, and is super easy to use.  >:D
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com