Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: mics directly into recorder question (at943 4.7k/853/ssdsm6; r-1;r09;iriverh120  (Read 32839 times)

Offline red

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
I have a question about running various mics directly into my recorders.  Below is a list of the mics and recorders I have.  I'm curious about my options for bypassing the batterybox/pre-amp, in the event I want to run superstealth, or want to run 2 rigs simultaneously (one would be the full rig, the second would possibly be mics -> recorder). 

my mics:
at853 [I plan to get the 4.7k mod done on these eventually]
at943 4.7kmod
ssdsm6

my recorders:
r09
r-1
iriver h120 (rockboxed)

[for running a full rig, here are the batteryboxes/preamps I have, st-9100; sp-spsb-1; PA6-LC (for ssdsm6) . . . but right now I'm interested in going mic -> recorder]

Thanks in advance for comments.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
I have a question about running various mics directly into my recorders.  Below is a list of the mics and recorders I have.  I'm curious about my options for bypassing the batterybox/pre-amp, in the event I want to run superstealth, or want to run 2 rigs simultaneously (one would be the full rig, the second would possibly be mics -> recorder). 

my mics:
at943 4.7kmod
ssdsm6

my recorders:
r09
r-1
iriver h120 (rockboxed)

[for running a full rig, here are the batteryboxes/preamps I have, st-9100; sp-spsb-1; PA6-LC (for ssdsm6) . . . but right now I'm interested in going mic -> recorder]

I think it really depends on how loud the show is going to be. I think that the 853 is a great mic but when wired two wire with out any mods distorts rather easily. The 943 mics DO not require this mod.. If you have done it to these mics you have actually degraded the performance. The 853 on the other hand would benefit. From my mod but again you should use your 943 once you unmod them for quiet stuff direct in. And your modified 853 mics for loud shows. So under the right circumstances BOTH your mics could be used with your R-09 for super stealth. The iriver is not a great choice only because of its low plug in power voltage. The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular

I think it really depends on how loud the show is going to be. I think that the 853 is a great mic but when wired two wire with out any mods distorts rather easily. The 943 mics DO not require this mod.. If you have done it to these mics you have actually degraded the performance. The 853 on the other hand would benefit. From my mod but again you should use your 943 once you unmod them for quiet stuff direct in. And your modified 853 mics for loud shows. So under the right circumstances BOTH your mics could be used with your R-09 for super stealth. The iriver is not a great choice only because of its low plug in power voltage. The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.

Chris

Thanks for the answers.  I thought all of the ATs (831; 853; and 943) benefit from the 4.7k mod?  Why does it degrade the performance of the 943s?  I pretty much only tape loud rock shows (and also have a pair of trustworthy 831s that I intend to keep unmodded). 

Offline Church-Audio

Chris

Thanks for the answers.  I thought all of the ATs (831; 853; and 943) benefit from the 4.7k mod?  Why does it degrade the performance of the 943s?  I pretty much only tape loud rock shows (and also have a pair of trustworthy 831s that I intend to keep unmodded). 
Most of the 943 mics I have measured actually have a very similar performance to a modified mic. So by adding the resistors to a mic that already has good overload performance you are actually downgrading the mics. I know there are a few places doing my mod to mics and they really have no idea what they are doing because they have no way of actually measuring the distortion performance of the mic in the first place. I have invested a time and money into making sure that I could accurately measure distortion of a microphone * not an easy task * and all of the 943s I have measured never needed the mod. The 831 and the 853 will both benefit from it thought.

Chris

Offline daze

• Taperssection Regular
I'm confused too.  Many folks have reported some distortion @ high SPL on the 943s, and have suggested the 4.7k mod improves their performance.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73063.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,75222.15.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,67225.0.html

Offline Church-Audio

I'm confused too.  Many folks have reported some distortion @ high SPL on the 943s, and have suggested the 4.7k mod improves their performance.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,73063.0.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,75222.15.html
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,67225.0.html

Well unless they have a way to measure distortion they could be just assuming that the mod is actually doing something, but since I am the guy that invented it. I would say that unless they are using some odd ball 943 then the chances are they too are just degrading the performance of the mics.

Offline daze

• Taperssection Regular

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems

my mics:
at943 4.7kmod
ssdsm6

my recorders:
r09
r-1
iriver h120 (rockboxed)

Your DSM-6 mics can go directly into R-1 which has noisy preamp not good for pure acoustic work, and weak, but consistent performance plug-in-power for Sonic Studios mics.

DSM mics will not operate at all into stock R-09 without Sonic Studios MOD-3 upgrade service which also glues down both MIC/LINE input jacks to not ever break off the board.  MOD-3 ONLY available to owners recording moderately loud PA'd venues (as mic preamp is a bit too noisy for pure acoustic), and have not already broken the input jacks.  See: www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm#mod3

It may be good to note newest Sony PCM-D50 deck has both quiet preamplifier AND, as purchased stock, will directly power DSM-1/6 series mics in most correct full performance manner.  See noise performance D50 graphic below.

While PA-3SX external preamplifier going into D50 LINE input shows less noise below 200 Hz, and more noise than D50 internal above 200 Hz, this is reasonable as D50's internal mic amp has 1 octave lower bandwidth, and over twice the distortion characteristic of PA-3SX which is designed for maximum dynamic performance over Sony's tact of good dynamic performance with minimized noise characteristics.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

But then why does SP offer their mod on both the 853u's (sp-cmc-4u) and the 943's (sp-cmc-8)?

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=search&item=SP-CMC-8&type=store

I am sorry you mean why are they offering MY MOD? on both sets of mics?  that mod, well that's a good question.. I cant really say but I have measured the 943 and all of the examples I had in my shop and ones that were sent from Customers * for the mod * did not require it. I guess it all boils down to what I was saying about investing in equipment to measure distortion. I found out that there was a problem with wiring the 853 in a two wire configuration with out doing some kind of mod to it. I measured the distortion at about 7% THD at 114 db at 1k compared to the 0.5% at 114 db at 1k after my mod. So maybe you should ask them how they are measuring distortion in there modified microphones?

Chris

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.

Guysonic, can the ss-dsm6's run directly into the iriver h120?

Given that some people have reported distortion w/ AT943s at really loud shows, I'm still not seeing why the 4.7k mod is a degradation -- couldn't you just boost up the levels with the st9100 pre-amp, in situations where the SPL's aren't so high?

Here's another thread about ATs and the 4.7k mod:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,65366.0/all.html

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:19:21 PM by red »

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies.

Guysonic, can the ss-dsm6's run directly into the iriver h120?

Not that I've heard.  Only limited number of 'as-stock' decks provide 'working range' for direct connected powering of DSM mics.

Some Sony DAT/MD models, Sharp MD, and the Edirol/Sony flash deck models already mentioned.  

More on DSM mic powering options on page: www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm

A simple electrical test of <10 volt DC mic powering is putting two 1000 ohm resistors from each mic input channel to ground to measure between 0.35-to 0.53 volts across each resistor.  Only this range is workable for powering a DSM mic.  Measured resistor voltage of 0.42 to 0.48 is optimum DSM mic performance
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
I remember Chris telling me about the 933's/943's not needing the mod a few months back.

I trust his word highly, but I'm also curious as to why so mny people still face distortion problems.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)

Given that some people have reported distortion w/ AT943s at really loud shows, I'm still not seeing why the 4.7k mod is a degradation -- couldn't you just boost up the levels with the st9100 pre-amp, in situations where the SPL's aren't so high?

That was my thinking when I got the mod done on my pair of mics.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Regarding the stock mini-plug version from Sound Professionals (853/943/933)

I have had significant distortion with the AT943(bodies)/AT-ADAPT/853(capsules).   I also had significant distortion with the 943 with microline capsules.  I experienced significant improvement in my recordings when using the 4.7k modification.

I have noticed that the 853 distorts sooner, but in my expereince with about 10 pairs of AT's, the 4.7k and 2.2k will help the recordings.  I think even if you are not having distortion problems the lower sensitivity that this mod provides will keep the rest of your signal chain from overloading in loud situations.  Lets face it, people are not using professional preamps like the grace or apogee boxes with these mics.  Also, having a 4k2 or 2k2 in there better mimics the 3wire powering of the typical configuration of these mics.

Now, knowing a little bit about why Sound Professionals decided to offer this 4.7k/low sensitivity/Church mod, I can agree with Church that they are not testing the distortion before and after in any scientific way.  I can say there is real world results showing the benefit in sound to either 853 or 943.

I certainly don't have the credentials that Mr. Church does and I respect his work, but I have seen the benefits from the 4.7k mod on my 943 mics, so I disagree on this topic. 

Now, I will be willing to blindly agree with Mr. Church on any topic here, if he gets the "Church Transformer Preamp" done in the next few months.....    ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:53:38 AM by Fred W III »
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Roving Sign

I have had significant distortion with the AT943(bodies)/AT-ADAPT/853(capsules).   I also had significant distortion with the 943 with microline capsules.  I experienced significant improvement in my recordings when using the 4.7k modification.

Perhaps some semantic confusion here? - I think you guys might be talking about different kinds of "distortion"?

You may well have less distortion after the mod due to the level reduction (which is sort of a side-effect) - your preamp might be happier with less input - and thus distort less.  Even though the mics themselves might not be performing "better"

I think Chris is measuring the less audible harmonic distortion....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:33:41 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline Church-Audio

Perhaps some semantic confusion here? - I think you guys might be talking about different kinds of "distortion"?

You may well have less distortion after the mod due to the level reduction (which is sort of a side-effect) - your preamp might be happier with less input - and thus distort less.  Even though the mics themselves might not be performing "better"

I think Chris is measuring the less audible harmonic distortion....

I am measuring distortion at 1k and also wide band the full spectrum from 20hz to 20khz. And its audible. I am not measuring the output of a preamp. I use a battery box to test the mics straight into a 10k input that can handle +5 db then I apply a 1k signal to the mic via a transducer and I measure the distortion at the Mics output.
7% distortion is something you can hear. And thats only at 1k at lower frequencies the number is much higher. I use 1k because its the industry standard for distortion measurement.

Chris

Here is a graph of a AT 853 mic STOCK wired 2 wire with a 1 k signal applied at 114db notice the distortion is 10% that's very high... And you will be able to hear it. The first picture is how the mic looks after the 4.7k mod. The second picture is before the 4.7k mod notice the in band level changes by about 12 db from one to the other.
But the distortion as a percentage goes from 10% to 0.5%

This clearly shows that the stock 853 is not good at handling loud sound pressure when wired 2 wire * and NEVER should have been made and sold as a two wire mic. But my mod fixes that problem and allows you the same benefits of three wire but with only 2 wire.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 11:35:30 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline Church-Audio

I have noticed that the 853 distorts sooner, but in my experience with about 10 pairs of AT's, the 4.7k and 2.2k will help the recordings.  I think even if you are not having distortion problems the lower sensitivity that this mod provides will keep the rest of your signal chain from overloading in loud situations.  Lets face it, people are not using professional preamps like the grace or apogee boxes with these mics.  Also, having a 4k2 or 2k2 in there better mimics the 3wire powering of the typical configuration of these mics.

Now, knowing a little bit about why Sound Professionals decided to offer this 4.7k/low sensitivity/Church mod, I can agree with Church that they are not testing the distortion before and after in any scientific way.  I can say there is real world results showing the benefit in sound to either 853 or 943.

I certainly don't have the credentials that Mr. Church does and I respect his work, but I have seen the benefits from the 4.7k mod on my 943 mics, so I disagree on this topic. 

Now, I will be willing to blindly agree with Mr. Church on any topic here, if he gets the "Church Transformer Preamp" done in the next few months.....    ;)

Lets just say I am working on it lol...
Ok I am not saying that there are not some 943 mics that could benefit. There are some factors to this like for example the mics sensitivity * this changes from mic to mic so this could account for the differences between some 943 mics also when you put a 853 cap on your going to get more distortion because of the diaphragm not being as tolerant to high SPL as the 943 diaphragm is.. So what I would say is this.. if anyone wants to get the mod done send the mics to me I will measure them for FREE... if you need it I will tell you if you dont then you dont. If the mod is needed I charge $15.00 per mic set. But that includes me measuring your mics. The other advantage is I can also at the same time tell you exactly how far off your  "matched pair"  is Most are off by at least 3 db when you know how far they are off you can apply the appropriate amount of boost the the weaker side and restore your stereo image. That makes a huge different to the quality of your recordings.

Chris

T+ there Chris, that response make sense to me and a great offer to test peoples mics...

Alchemy

Chris

Most of the 943 mics I have measured actually have a very similar performance to a modified mic. So by adding the resistors to a mic that already has good overload performance you are actually downgrading the mics. I know there are a few places doing my mod to mics and they really have no idea what they are doing because they have no way of actually measuring the distortion performance of the mic in the first place. I have invested a time and money into making sure that I could accurately measure distortion of a microphone * not an easy task * and all of the 943s I have measured never needed the mod. The 831 and the 853 will both benefit from it thought.

Chris

But yet the AT943s definitely benefit from a 3 wire battery box. There are several samples available as evidence of this.
So for 943s, you are better off with 3 wire powering instead of the mod.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 06:10:02 PM by Alchemy »

Offline Church-Audio

Chris

Chris

But yet the AT943s definitely benefit from a 3 wire battery box. There are several samples available as evidence of this.

Most people that run the 943 run it three wire. But all of the ones I have played with maybe 10  pairs when wired two wire had the same exact distortion figures as my modifyed mics. I would be willing to check out another pair if anyone wants to send me one. I am really curious now. My offer still stands I will test anyones mic for free just pay for return shipping..

Chris

Alchemy

I would actually do this as I have the AT943s now. But I have the miniXLR connectors at the end of mine (they are seperated) so I'm not much of a help. And I really don't want to go back to two wire. Chris, though, your mod works great for the 853s! (according to Will's samples anyway in post #2...) It sucks that Sound Pro stole it.

Offline Will_S

So under the right circumstances BOTH your mics could be used with your R-09 for super stealth. The iriver is not a great choice only because of its low plug in power voltage. The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.

Hmm, again I think you should know better than me but I could swear I've seen posts measuring the iRiver's plug-in-power unloaded as 3.7V (and you have a post somewhere calling it 4) and illconditioned has measured the R09 unloaded at 2.5V.  Does the iRiver really do poorly with a load, or could you be thinking of another recorder?

FWIW I don't notice much difference between R09 and iRiver used with the same mics in post #2.  Maybe these shows weren't loud enough for the difference to be apparent...I've certainly been to louder rock shows (eg Springsteen in a hockey arena) but I was definitely glad to have my earplugs for both shows.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
very informative thread, i have modded 853's (granted never heard them otherwise) and an iriver so am thankfull, and intersted in this thread continuing.  +T
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

The 4.7k mod creates a similar powering situation to running three wire, this is the magic of the 4.7k mod.  It allows you to get the benefits of running 3-wire, in a  1/8" plug..  I havn't seen any difference in sound using a 3-wire or 4.7k mod, in either 853 or 943.  It does seem that the 943 is less likely to distort, but that doesn't sugest that 3-wire is any better than 4.7k...  I am just a hobbiest, so someone with some technical knowledge might want to chime in with some thoughts...

Offline Church-Audio

The 4.7k mod creates a similar powering situation to running three wire, this is the magic of the 4.7k mod.  It allows you to get the benefits of running 3-wire, in a  1/8" plug..  I havn't seen any difference in sound using a 3-wire or 4.7k mod, in either 853 or 943.  It does seem that the 943 is less likely to distort, but that doesn't sugest that 3-wire is any better than 4.7k...  I am just a hobbiest, so someone with some technical knowledge might want to chime in with some thoughts...

The only advantage of 2 wire with my mod over three wire is the cost of the connectors and the fact that you can now use your mic directly with a recorder like a r-09 WITH NO other boxes for really loud situations. And pretty much anyone with some basic skills with a soldering iron can do it. You get 1.5 db more gain over three wire as well.

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks again everyone for the responses.  Chris, once things calm down a little for me I may take you up on your offer, and send you my 853s and 943s, along with their various caps, for some testing.

For me, one huge advantage of the 4.7k mod, as opposed to 3-wire mod, is the interchangeability of gear.  As I already owned a few SP battery boxes and 1/8"plug 831s, I wanted to keep my options and versatility open, hence my interest in the 4.7k mod. 

It seems like there's consensus that some modification is needed for the 853s; and there's hot debate on whether it's necessary for (all) 943s, and whether it might actually somehow "degrade" the performance of the 943s.  If I weren't already overloaded on mics I'd definitely try out some Church mics!

Offline bbernardini

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Please forgive my newbie-like intrusion into this thread...being a budget-minded sort, would CoreSound Low Cost Binaurals work with the plug power of the R-09?

Offline Church-Audio

Please forgive my newbie-like intrusion into this thread...being a budget-minded sort, would CoreSound Low Cost Binaurals work with the plug power of the R-09?

You should ask Len at Core sound I am sure he will be happy to answer that one. I am pretty sure any well made microphone plug in power mic will work with the edirols mic input.

Chris

Offline red

• Taperssection Regular
I continue to hunt around for some more insight on the 4.7k mod and at943's and I came across this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78509

I'm still interested in anyone's further thoughts on whether the 4.7k mod actually "degrades" the performance of at943's in any way.  I'm still trying to learn stuff myself and I appreciate all of the effort and ideas people share on this site (even if people don't always agree totally on things).

Offline Belexes

I'm still interested in anyone's further thoughts on whether the 4.7k mod actually "degrades" the performance of at943's in any way.  I'm still trying to learn stuff myself and I appreciate all of the effort and ideas people share on this site (even if people don't always agree totally on things).

If I didn't live in the middle of nowhere, I'd be able to attend a show with my mics and give feedback, but I am in a deadzone right now.

I know Arni on this board has some low-sens SP-CMC-8's.  Maybe he can weigh in?

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

I continue to hunt around for some more insight on the 4.7k mod and at943's and I came across this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,78509

I invented the "4.7k mod" and I am saying if your mics dont need the mod dont do it. The 943 mics I tested did not need the mod. This does not mean they all dont need it but the ones I had on hand did not. I use the same method to determine a mics distortion I can compair any AT mics to my mics to see how the distortion is compared to mine and that's how I determine if a mic needs the mod or not. My mics have a 0.5% distortion at 1K at 114db when my mics and mics like the AT853 are wired three wire and NOT modified they have a distortion ranging from 6% to 12% THD at 1k at 114db. I use a very repeatable method of measuring distortion that is very accurate. So the only way to tell for sure is to send me your mics and I will evaluate them * for free * if you decide to have the mod done I charge $15.00 for it.

The reason why you dont want to do the mod if you dont have to is simple if your mics are "fine" then you are losing 10 db of gain unnessisarily. Also there is NO loss in frequency response what so ever from this mod.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Chris

Offline Belexes

The reason why you dont want to do the mod if you dont have to is simple if your mics are "fine" then you are losing 10 db of gain unnessisarily. Also there is NO loss in frequency response what so ever from this mod.

I hope that helps clear things up.

Chris

That makes me feel better, especially since I have the 9100 to get +20 back on gain. Thanks Chris for all your work on the subject.

Offline aleal5687

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Chris

Thanks for all your responses. I have been researching the 4.7 and the 2.2 mods. 
I had a question that I could not find the answer to using the search function.

Right now my mics(hlso&mke2) are terminated stereo 1/8"

Is it possible to incorporate you mod into a mini extension cable like this?

1/8" stereo (female)->4.7K mod->1/8" stereo (male)

Mics:CA11,CA14,AKG ck91(Homebrew active)
Pre/power: Ca Ugly, Oade mod sbm1,sp battery box,MT mic power
Recorder:R9HR,MT 24/96,Iriver ihp110(16gb cfmod)

Chris

Thanks for all your responses. I have been researching the 4.7 and the 2.2 mods. 

not, that is not possible.  The modification needs to be done before the wires become common at the 1/8" plug.

Offline Church-Audio

Chris

This mod does not work with 2 wire mics unless you can seperate the capsule ground from the ground pad on the capsule. Not possible with the MKE2. So my mod must be done to three wire capsules and again not all of them need it.

Chris

Offline Will_S

This mod does not work with 2 wire mics unless you can seperate the capsule ground from the ground pad on the capsule. Not possible with the MKE2.

This is not entirely true.  The MKE-2-4 is shorted at the capsule, the MKE-2-5 is not and can be modded like any other 3 wire capsule (illocinditioned recommends a 2.2k resistor and it worked great for me).  I don't know which version Microphone Madness uses.

Offline Church-Audio

This mod does not work with 2 wire mics unless you can seperate the capsule ground from the ground pad on the capsule. Not possible with the MKE2.

This is not entirely true.  The MKE-2-4 is shorted at the capsule, the MKE-2-5 is not and can be modded like any other 3 wire capsule (illocinditioned recommends a 2.2k resistor and it worked great for me).  I don't know which version Microphone Madness uses.

Some MKE2 Mics are three wire most that I have seen are not. And the mod will work with any mic that requires it in my experience the MKE-2 handles very high spl and does not require any mod. Remember if you do the mod to a mic that does not need it your actually degrading the performance of the mic because your lowering the output of the mic for no good reason.

I have measured MKE2 Mics and found they handle very high SPL with little to no distortion.
But there are variations of the MKE2 because they have been made for over 20 years now you can find some three wire versions of this mic and two wire versions.

Chris

EDIT .... What I mean in this case is two conductors + a shield but one of the conductors and ground are always tied together and are not true three wire!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:21:49 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline Will_S

Some MKE2 Mics are three wire most that I have seen are not. And the mod will work with any mic that requires it in my experience the MKE-2 handles very high spl and does not require any mod. Remember if you do the mod to a mic that does not need it your actually degrading the performance of the mic because your lowering the output of the mic for no good reason.

I have measured MKE2 Mics and found they handle very high SPL with little to no distortion.
But there are variations of the MKE2 because they have been made for over 20 years now you can find some three wire versions of this mic and two wire versions.

Chris

Interesting.  I admit I just blindly copied illconditioned's choice to do the 2.2k mod as I was impressed with his recordings made with modded mics into an R09.  That said, the realized sensitivity of the 2.2k modded MKE-2-5s matches up really nicely with the R09 - no attenuation needed for loud shows, but the low sensitivity mic in provides plenty of gain for all but really quiet performances.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)

no!  The core sound come with their own battery box, with the so-called "Linkwitz mod".  Another way of powering.  so, if you've got core sound, you'll need to go: mics > core-bbox > r09.  Leaving plug in power on the Edirol should be fine, but not needed because the battery box is supplying power.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Church-Audio

no!  The core sound come with their own battery box, with the so-called "Linkwitz mod".  Another way of powering.  so, if you've got core sound, you'll need to go: mics > core-bbox > r09.  Leaving plug in power on the Edirol should be fine, but not needed because the battery box is supplying power.

Richard

Hi Richard was it you that told me its also reversed biased? so you really need that battery box.. I would think with a linkwitz mod you would not need to do any mods to it..

Alchemy

The Linkwitz mod fixes the poor production problem with the WM-61A Panasonic capsules. I have some of these capsules coming in the mail soon and can't wait to mess with them.  :P

The Core Sound binaurals are made of these capsules with the same mod. And actually they will work perfectly fine on normal plug-in power from an R-09.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:14:03 PM by Alchemy »

Offline Church-Audio

The Linkwitz mod fixes the poor production problem with the WM-61A Panasonic capsules. I have some of these capsules coming in the mail soon and can't wait to mess with them.  :P

The Core Sound binaurals are made of these capsules with the same mod. And actually they will work perfectly fine on normal plug-in power from an R-09.

The panasonic WM60 and 61 were great capsules just ask EARTHWORKS that's pretty much whats in the measurement mics they make. In all fairness there is also some active circuits inside and some acoustic correction going on as well. But its not a bad capsule.

Chris

Richard

That is not not true.  The Low Cost Binaurals do not come with a battery box.  (neither does the low cost stealth cards)

Offline Church-Audio

Richard

That is not not true.  The Low Cost Binaurals do not come with a battery box.  (neither does the low cost stealth cards)

Oh OK I dont know much about the Cs mics... But I would think if they have the linkwitz mod they will work with out any further mods.

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
Slight hi-jack here: My AT943s are (as stated by "joekar" who sold them to me) "terminated in individual 1/8 male connectors (3 wire)". Would I need a preamp for loud concerts? I've probably asked this before, but I never seem to find rest on this matter :)
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

Slight hi-jack here: My AT943s are (as stated by "joekar" who sold them to me) "terminated in individual 1/8 male connectors (3 wire)". Would I need a preamp for loud concerts? I've probably asked this before, but I never seem to find rest on this matter :)

You already own one of my preamps I would use it all the time... It does power your mics properly and it gives you better signal to noise ratio. And it gives you a nice warm sound. Can you tape loud shows with out it YES.. but if you already own it and you can * get it in * then use it :)

Offline ballerusk

• Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
I used to own one of your preamps for my 4061s some time ago, now I only have the 943s atm :'( Slowly building myself a new rig.
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

I used to own one of your preamps for my 4061s some time ago, now I only have the 943s atm :'( Slowly building myself a new rig.

Well in that case you can go with out a preamp.. give me a shout when you need one and I will cut you a deal.

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star

So you have 2 stereo mini, one per mic?  If I understand that right, I'd build a pair of adapters, A) one set with a 4.7 mod,  B)one set connected without and test like mad!  Loud shows-one set per adapter. Medium shows-one set per. Quiet shows-no 4.7k mod adapter required.

Solder is cheap!  Connectors less so but still not expensive!

Good Luck!
Joe

Offline Church-Audio

I have actually done some tests with the edirols 2.5 volt supply and determined that a 2.4k resistor is the perfect value for reducing distortion in my microphones if your not going to use a battery box.. Now since I adapted my 4.7k mod to the AT 853 mics with no problems I would assume that this will translate to the AT 853 at 2.5 volts bias supply as well. So the idea situation is to have two sets of 3 wire to 2 wire adaptors one with a 2.4k 1% MF resistor for 2.5 volts of bias and an adaptor with a 4.7k resistor for 9 volts of bias power via a battery box. This will allow the best of both worlds for customers of mine that have purchased my cardioid mics I will offer a new set of cables with a 2.4k resistor mod in it for $65.00 + return shipping. But you will need to return your mics to me so I can match the cable/fet to the capsules.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Chris,

Could there be a difference in the way you are measuring distortion in your lab, and the way this affects the mics under concert conditions?

The reason I ask is that I have made hundreds of recordings since Nov '02 (and heard other tapers efforts too) with SP-CMC2s (AT831 cardioids), that are not distorted to my ears, unless the PA is also distorting.

I have tested them at the loudest venues London has to offer (The Borderline, and The Underworld, which can be painful in seconds without earplugs), and made killer recordings.

I'm not having a go, just trying to further my knowledge.

Humbug
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Church-Audio

Chris,

Could there be a difference in the way you are measuring distortion in your lab, and the way this affects the mics under concert conditions?

The reason I ask is that I have made hundreds of recordings since Nov '02 (and heard other tapers efforts too) with SP-CMC2s (AT831 cardioids), that are not distorted to my ears, unless the PA is also distorting.

I have tested them at the loudest venues London has to offer (The Borderline, and The Underworld, which can be painful in seconds without earplugs), and made killer recordings.

I'm not having a go, just trying to further my knowledge.

Humbug

What I do is measure distortion at 1k. Now when I measure my mic capsules unmodified they have a distortion of 7% at 114db at 1k when I measure AT 853 Its the same after my 4.7k mod both mics are 0.5% distortion. When I measure the 900 series mics the distortion is 0.5% with out any mods what so ever.. I have measured lots of these mics over 10 pairs that's 20 mics and they were all the same. Now its possible you could be subjecting the mics to a lower battery voltage and a much higher spl say 122 db but your ears would be bleeding before that happens.

I think its possible ( just a theory ) some of these mics have the same fet as the 853 or there is some kind of defect in the capsules of these mics * maybe * that is causing the distortion on some of the 900 series mics. I dont know but my tests show they are at least performing as well as my modified mics perform.

When you put my mod on a pair of mics that dont need it your actually degrading the mics signal to noise ratio unnessisarily. I am not saying that under certain applications these mics will not distort. But there are a lot of variables. My testing is not one of them. Its a pretty standard test I do.

I can measure the same mics over and over again and get exactly the same results. I would like to run a test on a pair of mics that is "known" to distort if someone has a pair they would like to send me. But to be honest guys its impossible to rule out a lot of variables because each concert is different.

For example some distortion is caused by wind. The air movement a big PA system is capable of can easily bottom out a diaphragm to its back plate and cause distortion how many of you use windscreens * if you look at the 900 series mics you can see the diaphragm quite well that tells me there is not enough wind protection built into the mics and windscreens are 100% necessary.

Also distortion does change with frequency its possible the 900 series are very stable at 1k but not so much at 100hz and below.. this is not very desirable because good microphones should be pretty linear at low and high frequencies as far as distortion is concerned, and if this mic is subject to distortion at low frequencies it might be because the back chamber of the microphone has a tuning issue.

I dont know, all I know is that the mics I tested in the same exact method I test all my mics at were operating at the same distortion point at my other mics after my mod. So I feel its not really necessary. But that being said I would love to get some samples of the 900 series mics overloading so I can hear it and I would like to get a few pairs of mics to test again.

You also have to remember these mics were NEVER designed for high spl at low frequency.. They are after all lapel mics.. So it would seem its possible the design engineers at AT did not test for ultra low frequency distortion. And it would make sense not to test for it because lets face it this mic was not designed for recording loud sources. As most lapel mics are not. I really dont know what the issue is but I will try and figure it out for the benefit of my fellow T.S members :)

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
Chris,

I'm not disputing that AT853s distort - I've heard this at a Velvet Revolver gig, which is when I decided to get them modded to 3-wire, after which they behaved perfectly.

I'm just questioning whether you can hear the distortion in AT831 mics - I've not been able to.

Maybe I'll upload a track recorded at ear splitting volumes used with them?  There's an mp3 sample on  this Dime show, which I can upload in better quality:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=176075   

Cheers,

H

Offline Church-Audio

Chris,

I'm not disputing that AT853s distort - I've heard this at a Velvet Revolver gig, which is when I decided to get them modded to 3-wire, after which they behaved perfectly.

I'm just questioning whether you can hear the distortion in AT831 mics - I've not been able to.

Maybe I'll upload a track recorded at ear splitting volumes used with them?  There's an mp3 sample on  this Dime show, which I can upload in better quality:

Cheers,

H

I am pretty sure that there was no distortion issue with the 831 but I have only measured one pair and it was a long time ago. Not to many people use that mic. So I dont remember if that mic distorted or not. I would have to measure it again anyone got a pair to send me> :)

Alchemy

Chris,

Cheers,

H

I am pretty sure that there was no distortion issue with the 831 but I have only measured one pair and it was a long time ago. Not to many people use that mic. So I dont remember if that mic distorted or not. I would have to measure it again anyone got a pair to send me> :)

I've got a pair in the Yard Sale for sale.  :P

I've been watching this topic unfold though...and admit that I purchased the 831s based on Humbug's suggestions and posts and never had any problems with them distorting on me either. I don't sit here though with a machine and test them. I just tape shows and use my ears.

Offline Church-Audio

Chris,

Cheers,

H

I've got a pair in the Yard Sale for sale.  :P

I've been watching this topic unfold though...and admit that I purchased the 831s based on Humbug's suggestions and posts and never had any problems with them distorting on me either. I don't sit here though with a machine and test them. I just tape shows and use my ears.

Hey whats that supposed to mean? lol.. If it was not for me sitting hear using my "machine" most of you would still be using 12 volt battery boxes thinking that somehow that extra 3 volts was going to eliminate distortion.. ;D.. Lets face it someone had to finally measure the distortion and come up with a real solution that eliminated it and that's what I DID.. Now you fuckers better be grateful  :P
The problem with just using your ears is this you dont know what the actual spl level is when your recording a concert so you go to one concert and say heck this mic does not distort.. GREAT! then you go to another concert and all of a sudden your mics are distorting, meanwhile there was a sound pressure difference of 10db between the two concerts.. You must have some method of measuring distortion in order to be able to sell a product. Your statement seems to be a jab at me for taking the time to help you guys out.. Or did I read that wrong?
 ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:12:42 AM by Church-Audio »

Offline Will_S

Chris, I don't think that comment about using ears vs. measurement was any kind of dig at you.  Rather, he was saying that he never heard distortion but was acknowledging he didn't know what the highest SPLs he'd subjected them to was.

That said, while I appreciate all the contributions you've made to this board with your knowledge I also think you might be well served to be a little more careful and consistent with what you say.  For instance within this very thread you say, with regards to the R09 plug in power:

The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.
(context:  5 volts which is plenty for 4.7k modded mics with no battery box)

I have actually done some tests with the edirols 2.5 volt supply and determined that a 2.4k resistor is the perfect value for reducing distortion in my microphones if your not going to use a battery box.

So which is it?  You also say that the iRiver does not supply enough voltage, but in another thread you say you measured its output at 4V, more than the Edirol ???

Edit: OK, to be fair you don't directly say you measured it, but you do say it outputs 4V:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91267.msg1218556.html#msg1218556

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:32:26 AM by Will_S »

Offline Church-Audio

Chris, I don't think that comment about using ears vs. measurement was any kind of dig at you.  Rather, he was saying that he never heard distortion but was acknowledging he didn't know what the highest SPLs he'd subjected them to was.

That said, while I appreciate all the contributions you've made to this board with your knowledge I also think you might be well served to be a little more careful and consistent with what you say.  For instance within this very thread you say, with regards to the R09 plug in power:

The r09 puts out 5 volts which is plenty.
(context:  5 volts which is plenty for 4.7k modded mics with no battery box)

I have actually done some tests with the edirols 2.5 volt supply and determined that a 2.4k resistor is the perfect value for reducing distortion in my microphones if your not going to use a battery box.

So which is it?  You also say that the iRiver does not supply enough voltage, but in another thread you say you measured its output at 4V, more than the Edirol ???

Well That's back when I thought that the edirol put out 5 volts... I know now that it does not I made a mistake.... I also know that using my mics or any mics like mine including in this group the 853 mics with out using a 2.4k resistor in place of my 4.7k yields a very high distortion that might not be a problem for most things.. But its much better to use the 2.4k resistor. I make mistakes I am not perfect. I dont just throw information out there this was based on a good friend of mine that has a r09 and does not use a preamp all the time he never has distortion issues but when I measured his r-09 with my mics with my test the distortion at 114db was almost 15% NOT Acceptable for him it might not have been a problem because he does not go to loud concerts. So he never had an issue with distortion. So when I found out that this was an issue * during my r-09 mic mod * project I published my results here. Nobody is perfect I try to be exact with my tests but in the end I am just like anyone else I make mistakes. BTW thank you for pointing that out I am going to post an update to that thread. EDIT I guess I already did post an update in this thread about it :)

Chris

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:39:28 AM by Church-Audio »

Alchemy

Chris, wow...I wasn't taking a jab at you at all.  :o All I was saying is that I don't have the equipment to test these mics (ie. a distortion analyzer). You do, I don't. So all I can do is test them in the field. That's all I'm trying to say and you are 100% correct when you say the same mics can do different things at different shows.

Peace,
Dan

Offline Will_S

Thanks for the clarification Chris.

This is not a challenge, but when you said 4V on the iRiver, was that something you heard or measured yourself?  Or when you said the iRiver didn't put out enough volts earlier in the thread, was that something you measured or heard?

Maybe I should just use a voltmeter on a hacked miniplug wire out of my iRiver and post the results here.  But one thing I'm not clear on - is it actually useful to just measure voltage between the shield and signal wire or do I need to insert a specific value of resistor too?  And should I insert this value resistor for both channels?

Edit:  And another question...earlier in this thread you said no need for the 2.2K mod on the MKE2s.  But was that assuming 5V+ power?  Might things change since the R09 actually puts out 2.5?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:49:46 AM by Will_S »

the 853 and 933/943 are not lapel microphones, but hanging choir microphones.  They were designed for suspention over choirs, instrumental groups or over theater stages.

The were designed to handle high SPL's, varing slightly by model.  The goosneck podum version, and the hand held version both were designed with "distortion-free output even in intense sound fields"  Even the 853 hanging mic will handle 139SPL by AT's specs...

Offline illconditioned

OK, let me weigh in here.

First, thanks to Chris, for not only doing all these tests, but taking the time to try to explain to the rest of us.

Now, I have two comments:

First, I believe all mics, AT831 or otherwise, will have *some* distortion if not powered correctly.  By "correctly", I mean having some resistor between the source of the FET and ground.  This could be 4.7k, 2.2k or whatever.  If you look at any schematic of a high-end mic, you'll see this resistor.  In fact, AT853x phantom adaptors (miniXLR to XLR) have a 5.1k resistor there (I've traced the circuit), so the 4.7k resistor that Chris found is pretty close.  Now, whether we *hear* the distortion is another factor.  That could depend on the sound level, low frequency content, or just how good our ears are.

Second, the so-called "plug-in-power" from recorders has two variables.  One is the open circuit voltage (eg., 2.5v for Edirol and MD), but also there is a series resistor inside.  If you want to measure, put a voltmeter on the (unloaded) jack and measure it.  Next, put a small resistor, something like 1k, across the output, and meaure the voltage again.  You can use ohms law to figure out what the internal resistor is.  For Edirol it is 2.2k.  For Minidisc it is 6.8k.  The higher this internal resistor, the harder it is to get enough "juice" to power a set of external mics.  I believe Guysonic did some nice measurements, but those were to power his specific mics, so not much help to us.

Oh yeah, choosing the resistors (2.2k or whatever) depends on both the mic and the plug-in-power circuit.  I've had great luck with a 2.2k resistor and with Sennheiser MKE2 mics on the Edirol.  I have not experimented with other setups.  I did modify several pairs of AT853 mics with 2.2k, but did not test them extensively.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Offline Church-Audio

Chris, wow...I wasn't taking a jab at you at all.  :o All I was saying is that I don't have the equipment to test these mics (ie. a distortion analyzer). You do, I don't. So all I can do is test them in the field. That's all I'm trying to say and you are 100% correct when you say the same mics can do different things at different shows.

Peace,
Dan

Man its all good I was just playing with you :) Its cool...  8)

Offline Church-Audio

the 853 and 933/943 are not lapel microphones, but hanging choir microphones.  They were designed for suspention over choirs, instrumental groups or over theater stages.

The were designed to handle high SPL's, varing slightly by model.  The goosneck podum version, and the hand held version both were designed with "distortion-free output even in intense sound fields"  Even the 853 hanging mic will handle 139SPL by AT's specs...

Well I remember when they first came out and we were also using them as lapel mics hence the reason why they sell lapel clips for these mics :) But anyway I would also have to disagree with you as far as the quoted spl these mics overload a lot sooner then 139 db I can tell you that from real world experience as a live sound engineer we tried to use them on drums they did overload quite well.. and when we measured what levels they were overloading at it was MUCH less then 139db....

Offline Church-Audio

This is not a challenge, but when you said 4V on the iRiver, was that something you heard or measured yourself?  Or when you said the iRiver didn't put out enough volts earlier in the thread, was that something you measured or heard?

Maybe I should just use a voltmeter on a hacked miniplug wire out of my iRiver and post the results here.  But one thing I'm not clear on - is it actually useful to just measure voltage between the shield and signal wire or do I need to insert a specific value of resistor too?  And should I insert this value resistor for both channels?

Edit:  And another question...earlier in this thread you said no need for the 2.2K mod on the MKE2s.  But was that assuming 5V+ power?  Might things change since the R09 actually puts out 2.5?

You can not do my mod to a mic that only has two wires. I am pretty sure the h120 puts out 4 volts the one I had did I measured it.. I do make mistake man cut me some slack :)

Offline Will_S

You can not do my mod to a mic that only has two wires. I am pretty sure the h120 puts out 4 volts the one I had did I measured it.. I do make mistake man cut me some slack :)

See, that's the thing.  I wasn't trying to not cut you slack.  It's because you have so much knowledge and are held it high regard here, that it's important to know if that's something you measured directly (in which case, no point in my repeating it - although based on Richard's post maybe I should with some resistors wired in as well), or if you were repeating something you'd read, in which case it might not be so reliable.

As to the "only two wires", I think that's another example of needing to be careful when you talk about gear you don't have a lot of experience with.  Some versions of the MKE2 ARE 3 wire.  Whether they perform just fine with a simple 2 wire configuration is another question, but not all MKE2s are shorted to 2 wire at the capsule.  (In particular, the MKE-2-5 are wired as true 3 wire, there may be other models as well.)

+Ts all around for good discussion and info.

Alchemy

Correction, the 943 is a lav mic. And AT only really designed these mics to be run on phantom power, or one of their own proprietary power modules. The method of converting them so that they terminate on a 1/8th jack is more or less a "hack" in itself.

Offline illconditioned

As to the "only two wires", I think that's another example of needing to be careful when you talk about gear you don't have a lot of experience with.  Some versions of the MKE2 ARE 3 wire.  Whether they perform just fine with a simple 2 wire configuration is another question, but not all MKE2s are shorted to 2 wire at the capsule.  (In particular, the MKE-2-5 are wired as true 3 wire, there may be other models as well.)

Hey Will.  Are you using the Microphone Madness version of the Sennheiser MKE2?  Does this have three wires?
From what I have *read* (Sennheiser tech docs), all mics have three wires (shield + two inside).  But some have one of the wires shorted to shield *at the capsule* while others do not.  You can test them with an ohm meter and see which you have.  I've got MKE 2-5 (original from Sennheiser) and this is really three wire.  I'm also wondering if you can take a two wire version (like the MKE 2-4) and disconnect the short at the capsule.  It may be possible to take the back off the capsule (crazy glued on).

Most of this stuff is beyond the average TS.com reader probably.  But hopefully Chris and other modders can perform these services.  As I've said in earlier posts, I do not do mods for others any more.

Richard
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:11:31 PM by illconditioned »

Offline Church-Audio

See, that's the thing.  I wasn't trying to not cut you slack.  It's because you have so much knowledge and are held it high regard here, that it's important to know if that's something you measured directly (in which case, no point in my repeating it - although based on Richard's post maybe I should with some resistors wired in as well), or if you were repeating something you'd read, in which case it might not be so reliable.

No offence but I have been using Sennheiser mics for over 20 years now... I know a few things about them THE MKE2 mics that I have worked on are all two wire mics... actually......Ground And the yellow wire are often attached at the mic capsule. Maybe you should not be so quick to judge my knowledge?

Offline Will_S

Hey Will.  Are you using the Microphone Madness version of the Sennheiser MKE2?  Does this have three wires?
From what I have *read* (Sennheiser tech docs), all mics have three wires (shield + two inside).  But some have one of the wires shorted to shield *at the capsule* while others do not.  You can test them with an ohm meter and see which you have.  I've got MKE 2-5 (original from Sennheiser) and this is really three wire.  I'm also wondering if you can take a two wire version (like the MKE 2-4) and disconnect the short at the capsule.  It may be possible to take the back off the capsule (crazy glued on).

No, I am using MKE-2-5s as well.  I bought them used from someone who had bought them from Sennheiser before Microphone Madness even existed.  They came terminated in TA4F connectiors, then I did the 2.2K mod and miniplug termination myself.

Offline Church-Audio

No, I am using MKE-2-5s as well.  I bought them used from someone who had bought them from Sennheiser before Microphone Madness even existed.  They came terminated in TA4F connectiors, then I did the 2.2K mod and miniplug termination myself.

Test for continuity between the ground and the yellow wire or red wire you might find that they are actually 0 ohms meaning your mod is doing nothing... :o

Offline illconditioned

Test for continuity between the ground and the yellow wire or red wire you might find that they are actually 0 ohms meaning your mod is doing nothing... :o

Good point Chris.  Test everything!  I've got Sennheiser MKE2-5-??  something else at the end.  I'll check that soon.

Richard

Offline Will_S

No offence but I have been using Sennheiser mics for over 20 years now... I know a few things about them THE MKE2 mics that I have worked on are all two wire mics... actually......Ground And the yellow wire are often attached at the mic capsule. Maybe you should not be so quick to judge my knowledge?

So are you saying this schematic is not showing alternative 3 vs 2 wire powering schemes?  Edit:  I already noted that some models are shorted at the capsule, I am aware of this, not sure why that equates to assuming mine were?

http://www.soundbydesign.net/pdf_downloads/wiring/mke2.pdf
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 03:30:05 PM by Will_S »

Offline Church-Audio

So are you saying this schematic is not showing alternative 3 vs 2 wire powering schemes?  Edit:  I already noted that some models are shorted at the capsule, I am aware of this, not sure why that equates to assuming mine were?

Um no it shows what I was saying about the shield and one of the wires being directly connected to each other. And you can add a resistor to a mic but your not going turn it into a three wire capsule... All they are doing is adding a bias resistor and a cap...This is not three wire. Most belt packs have a separate power and signal because they can be used as a line input and its not desirable to have bias voltage on a device that is at line level and does not require it. Most packs are l

Line in
Mic in
Pwr out
ground.
but this is not three wire.

Offline Will_S

Um no it shows what I was saying about the shield and one of the wires being directly connected to each other. And you can add a resistor to a mic but your not going turn it into a three wire capsule... All they are doing is adding a bias resistor and a cap...This is not three wire. Most belt packs have a separate power and signal because they can be used as a line input and its not desirable to have bias voltage on a device that is at line level and does not require it. Most packs are l

Line in
Mic in
Pwr out
ground.

Cool, another +T in 12 for that explanation.  I can see how a mic that's been shorted to 2 wire at the capsule (or a 3 wire capsule, right?) mic could work with Method 1, if that's how the belt transmitter is wired.

So it was a bad diagram to cite.  But looking back over this thread I now see you already have stated that some versions of the MKE2 are indeed 3 wire at the capsule? 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96633.msg1289612.html#msg1289612

So I'm not sure why you were arguing that my mics must be shorted at the capsule?

Edit:  Not sure the second half of my post made sense...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 05:18:48 PM by Will_S »

None of the UniPoint or Engenieer Sound lines were designed as lav mics.   the 853 and 933 didn't have clips for lav purposes (from AT anyway).  They had no groove to attach the clips.

The 943 is an adaption to make them lav freindly.  The 943 is just a 933 with a groove to attach a lav clip to...

Now, in all fairness, many people did and still do use them as lavs.

Offline Church-Audio

Line in
Mic in
Pwr out
ground.

Cool, another +T in 12 for that explanation.  I can see how a mic that's been shorted to 2 wire at the capsule (or a 3 wire capsule, right?) mic could work with Method 1, if that's how the belt transmitter is wired.

So it was a bad diagram to cite.  But looking back over this thread I now see you already have stated that some versions of the MKE2 are indeed 3 wire at the capsule? 

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,96633.msg1289612.html#msg1289612

So I'm not sure why you were arguing that my mics must be shorted at the capsule?

Edit:  Not sure the second half of my post made sense...

Actually what I meant to say and thanks for pointing it out. Is some of the mics I have seen MKE2 have three wires some actually have one conductor + a shield but I have never seen a true three wire capsule.. I am glad we are getting this stuff sorted out. I dont want to mislead anyone. Like I said before I make mistakes I have fixed 100's of MKE2 mics I can recable them I am one of the only guys in Canada that does this work. And I have never seen a three wire capsule in a MKE2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:22:11 PM by Church-Audio »

Offline Church-Audio

None of the UniPoint or Engenieer Sound lines were designed as lav mics.   the 853 and 933 didn't have clips for lav purposes (from AT anyway).  They had no groove to attach the clips.

The 943 is an adaption to make them lav freindly.  The 943 is just a 933 with a groove to attach a lav clip to...

Actually they do sell a  lav clip that is used on this mic and I did at one time use this mic as a lav but it sucked.. so bad I never used it again...

Offline Will_S

OK, so...I think I'm understanding this a lot better now.  There are a couple things I could still use clarification on.

Is it correct that:
A true 3 wire mics has three distinct (ie, never shorted together) "wires" coming out of the capsules. 
One wire (usually red) carries the + DC bias.
One wire (let's call it blue) carries the audio signal.
One "wire", which is usually a conductive jacket around the other two wires for the bulk of the cable, is the shield, and also serves as the ground or return for both the bias and signal voltage.

Is it also correct that:
Such a 3 wire mic can be converted to 2 wire (possibly making it more susceptible to distortion at high SPL) by shorting one of the wires to the shield.  This can be done at the output end, like Sound Professionals does in their stock AT853 version.  Or, it can be done at the capsule end like is done in at least some MKE2s.

Does it matter which wire is shorted to the shield?

Depending on your answers to the above, I may have a further question which I think will illustrate that the MKE-2-5 is indeed 3 wire.

Offline Church-Audio

OK, so...I think I'm understanding this a lot better now.  There are a couple things I could still use clarification on.

Is it correct that:
A true 3 wire mics has three distinct (ie, never shorted together) "wires" coming out of the capsules. 
One "wire", which is usually a conductive jacket around the other two wires for the bulk of the cable, is the shield, and also serves as the ground or return for both the bias and signal voltage.

Is it also correct that:
Such a 3 wire mic can be converted to 2 wire (possibly making it more susceptible to distortion at high SPL) by shorting one of the wires to the shield.  This can be done at the output end, like Sound Professionals does in their stock AT853 version.  Or, it can be done at the capsule end like is done in at least some MKE2s.

Depending on your answers to the above, I may have a further question which I think will illustrate that the MKE-2-5 is indeed 3 wire.

All of the Sennheiser mics I have repaired some 100+ microphones were all two wire capsules with an output/bias and a ground pad. A three wire capsule has an output + a bias input + ground.
I know they were two wire capsules because I hacked off the bodies on all of these mics and soldered brand new cable to all of the capsules.. They did use three conductor cable but it was not because they were using a three wire capsule.

Offline Will_S

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

All of the Sennheiser mics I have repaired some 100+ microphones were all two wire capsules with an output/bias and a ground pad. A three wire capsule has an output + a bias input + ground.
I know they were two wire capsules because I hacked off the bodies on all of these mics and soldered brand new cable to all of the capsules.. They did use three conductor cable but it was not because they were using a three wire capsule.

Thanks for your patience and explanation.  Sorry if what follows is a dumb question, but now I'm a little confused:

I'm a little confused about what wires I should check the resistance between.  Before, you suggested that there would be continuity between either the red or blue wire and the shield.  But if the capsule has a ground pad and a combined output/bias pad, shouldn't it actually be the red and blue wires that have continuity?  I.e., the shield should connect to the shield pad and the signal and bias wires should both connect to the output/bias pad.  Can you explain why this is not the case?

Offline Church-Audio

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

Thanks for your patience and explanation.  Sorry if what follows is a dumb question, but now I'm a little confused:

I'm a little confused about what wires I should check the resistance between.  Before, you suggested that there would be continuity between either the red or blue wire and the shield.  But if the capsule has a ground pad and a combined output/bias pad, shouldn't it actually be the red and blue wires that have continuity?  I.e., the shield should connect to the shield pad and the signal and bias wires should both connect to the output/bias pad.  Can you explain why this is not the case?

Ok here goes. The MKE2 IS A TWO WIRE CAPSULE with a separate ground wire for the case. One wire should be bias/output one wire should be ground.. So you should connect the ground wire and the ground terminal together...If you look at the PDF you will see that's what they are doing in the diagram. On some of the MKE2 Mics I have seen they used one conductor wire + a shield. 

You should contact Sennheiser they will tell you the same thing.. I am in direct contact with them all the time.

Offline Will_S

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

Ok here goes. The MKE2 IS A TWO WIRE CAPSULE with a separate ground wire for the case. One wire should be bias/output one wire should be ground.. So you should connect the ground wire and the ground terminal together...If you look at the PDF you will see that's what they are doing in the diagram. On some of the MKE2 Mics I have seen they used one conductor wire + a shield. 

You should contact Sennheiser they will tell you the same thing.. I am in direct contact with them all the time.

Sorry but I still don't follow.  It seems you are implying the blue wire is the case ground, since it is the one that is shorted to the shield IN METHOD 2.  Right?

Then the wiring scheme diagrammed works because the red (bias+signal) wire is connected to both the bias (pin 2) and audio (pins 3 and 4).  So far, so good.

But then going back to METHOD 1, the red wire is connected only to pin 2 (bias).  How is signal getting to pins 3 and 4 through the blue wire if it is the case ground, and signal is on the red wire?

Offline Church-Audio

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

Sorry but I still don't follow.  It seems you are implying the blue wire is the case ground, since it is the one that is shorted to the shield IN METHOD 2.  Right?

Then the wiring scheme diagrammed works because the red (bias+signal) wire is connected to both the bias (pin 2) and audio (pins 3 and 4).  So far, so good.

But then going back to METHOD 1, the red wire is connected only to pin 2 (bias).  How is signal getting to pins 3 and 4 through the blue wire if it is the case ground, and signal is on the red wire?
Grasshopper your confusing 3 pin mini xlr wiring with wiring for a wireless beltpack.. They are not the same thing... Shure uses a TA4F connector they have a separate ground line and you have to short out the line input to ground hence the reason why the blue wire is on the other terminal pin configurations are NOT standard like they are for THREE WIRE MINI XLR connectors where you have pin 1 ground pin 2 output pin 3 bias.... this is a whole new ball game when your talking wireless belt packs. Keep up the questions its the only way to learn I drove all my sound engineer friends nuts they eventually showed me how to do sound lol....

Chris

Offline Will_S

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

Grasshopper your confusing 3 pin mini xlr wiring with wiring for a wireless beltpack.. They are not the same thing... Shure uses a TA4F connector they have a separate ground line and you have to short out the line input to ground hence the reason why the blue wire is on the other terminal pin configurations are NOT standard like they are for THREE WIRE MINI XLR connectors where you have pin 1 ground pin 2 output pin 3 bias.... this is a whole new ball game when your talking wireless belt packs. Keep up the questions its the only way to learn I drove all my sound engineer friends nuts they eventually showed me how to do sound lol....

Chris

OK, here's what still has me confused.  The pdf gives the pin assignments as:

TA4M
Transmitter View
PIN 1 = cable shield/ audio return/ bias return
PIN 2 = +5V DC Bias
PIN 3 = audio input for dynamic mics or instruments
PIN 4 = 20kΩ resistor to ground jumpered to pin 3 for condenser mics

So it's ok that in Method 1 the audio+bias cable is not connected to pins 3 or 4?  These are only connected to audio if you have a balanced signal?  But then why is the audio+bias cable connected to these same pins in Method 2?

Also, it says:

"Note: This circuit [Method 2] may not work if the MKE 2 is supplied with a connector by Sennheiser.  MKE 2 units with
factory supplied connectors may be wired differently within the capsule."  If all MKE2s are 2 wire capsules, why would the method work with some and not others?

Just hypothetically speaking, what if:
All MKE2s started their lives as 3 wire capsules.  Red>bias pad, blue>audio pad, shield > ground pad.  In some/most (but not all) versions, the red and blue wires (or their respective pads) are shorted together, so that in effect you have red+blue = audio+bias and shield = ground.

Then, Method 1 works with either 3 wire or shorted to 2 wire capsules.  Red>bias, blue>audio, shield>ground for the 3 wire version or red+blue>bias+audio, shield>ground for the two wire version.

Method 2 works as long as red and blue aren't shorted together.  (If red and blue were shorted together at the capsule, there's no circuit since blue and shield are shorted at the TA4F).  It takes a 3 wire mic and converts it to 2 wire, just like when Sound Professionals shorts yellow to shield in the AT853s.  Thus it also provides a boost of 10-14dB like the pdf says.

And of course it doesn't work if red and blue are shorted at the capsule.  In other words, it doesn't work if the capsules have been converted to two wire.  Instead, it only works (like the pdf says) with mics that have pigtailed cables.  Like the MKE-2-5.  The version Richard and I have been saying is 3 wire.

I guess I'm confused what the reason why Method 2 would work with some MKE2s but not others if they were all 2 wire capsules?  How else would "MKE 2 units with factory supplied connectors be wired differently within the capsule"?

and you have to short out the line input to ground

Is that different from what you are accomplishing by shorting pins 3 and 4 together?  Both wiring schemes do that, but only one connects the pins to the signal wire as I understand it.   ???
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:20:51 PM by Will_S »

Offline Church-Audio

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

Chris

TA4M
Transmitter View
PIN 2 = +5V DC Bias

So it's ok that in Method 1 the audio+bias cable is not connected to pins 3 or 4?  These are only connected to audio if you have a balanced signal?  But then why is the audio+bias cable connected to these same pins in Method 2?

Also, it says:

"Note: This circuit [Method 2] may not work if the MKE 2 is supplied with a connector by Sennheiser.  MKE 2 units with
factory supplied connectors may be wired differently within the capsule."  If all MKE2s are 2 wire capsules, why would the method work with some and not others?

All MKE2s started their lives as 3 wire capsules.  Red>bias pad, blue>audio pad, shield > ground pad.  In some/most (but not all) versions, the red and blue wires (or their respective pads) are shorted together, so that in effect you have red+blue = audio+bias and shield = ground.

Then, Method 1 works with either 3 wire or shorted to 2 wire capsules.  Red>bias, blue>audio, shield>ground for the 3 wire version or red+blue>bias+audio, shield>ground for the two wire version.

Method 2 works as long as red and blue aren't shorted together.  (If red and blue were shorted together at the capsule, there's no circuit since blue and shield are shorted at the TA4F).  It takes a 3 wire mic and converts it to 2 wire, just like when Sound Professionals shorts yellow to shield in the AT853s.  Thus it also provides a boost of 10-14dB like the pdf says.

And of course it doesn't work if red and blue are shorted at the capsule.  In other words, it doesn't work if the capsules have been converted to two wire.  Instead, it only works (like the pdf says) with mics that have pigtailed cables.  Like the MKE-2-5.  The version Richard and I have been saying is 3 wire.

I guess I'm confused what the reason why Method 2 would work with some MKE2s but not others if they were all 2 wire capsules?  How else would "MKE 2 units with factory supplied connectors be wired differently within the capsule"?

Is that different from what you are accomplishing by shorting pins 3 and 4 together?  Both wiring schemes do that, but only one connects the pins to the signal wire as I understand it.   ???

Ok we are actually both right the MKE2-5 Obviously a mic I have never come across is a three wire capsule!!!! But they did make mics like the mke-2-4 that looks identical to the MKE-2-5 that were not three wire but did have a blue wire lol that was attached to ground.. Thats the mics I have been working on... I called my friend who is a tech at Sennheiser lol just to ask him this question he gave me this link

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pdfs/Sennheiser_electret_wiring.pdf

See what happens when you ask good questions we both learn something new.. Thanks man.

Chris

Offline illconditioned

Is it correct that:

Is it also correct that:

Chris

TA4M
Transmitter View
PIN 2 = +5V DC Bias

Also, it says:

Hey, I would have given up quite a while ago.
If you can't communicate effectively (over the forum at least...), give it a rest for a while.
Chris needs time to hack the Sony, Zoom, and any other portable within reach.

Seriously, this is why I gave up modding gear.  Too many variants out there, too much time to explain it, and also, risk of failure involves overseas shipping to make it right.

I'm going to measure my Sennheiser MKE2-5 now...
  Richard

Offline Will_S

Ok we are actually both right the MKE2-5 Obviously a mic I have never come across is a three wire capsule!!!! But they did make mics like the mke-2-4 that looks identical to the MKE-2-5 that were not three wire but did have a blue wire lol that was attached to ground.. Thats the mics I have been working on... I called my friend who is a tech at Sennheiser lol just to ask him this question he gave me this link

See what happens when you ask good questions we both learn something new.. Thanks man.

Chris

Excellent!  That means my proposal above can't have all the details right for exactly how the two methods work, but I'll take Richard's advice and leave figuring out exactly what's going on there for another day.  Good enough that we both learned something!   :)

Offline Church-Audio

Chris

Excellent!  That means my proposal above can't have all the details right for exactly how the two methods work, but I'll take Richard's advice and leave figuring out exactly what's going on there for another day.  Good enough that we both learned something!   :)

Remember that 8.2k resistor assumes a certain voltage for bias... The value of that resistor will change if your voltage is lower or higher.. And when its done right you will see a decrease in distortion. If done wrong you will see an increase in distortion.

Spark'e if he is around can explain this better then I can, I hope he sees this post.

Offline Will_S

Cool, thanks again for answering all these questions.

Looking at the Sennhiser pdf it seems like it's the 2 wire/amplifier configuration = Method 2 in the Sound By Design pdf that works for either type of mics, whereas Method 1 is like Sennhieser's Impedance Transformer configuration that can only be used with the 3 wire MKE-2-5.  So the Sound By Design pdf is wrong in saying only Method 1 can be used with all mic types, it's only Method 2 that works for both.  If that's true, it pretty much all makes sense to me now.

Offline Church-Audio

Cool, thanks again for answering all these questions.

Looking at the Sennhiser pdf it seems like it's the 2 wire/amplifier configuration = Method 2 in the Sound By Design pdf that works for either type of mics, whereas Method 1 is like Sennhieser's Impedance Transformer configuration that can only be used with the 3 wire MKE-2-5.  So the Sound By Design pdf is wrong in saying only Method 1 can be used with all mic types, it's only Method 2 that works for both.  If that's true, it pretty much all makes sense to me now.

Its kinda strange that this information is so hard to come by... I have to use my "phone a friend" to find out lol....

Actually they do sell a  lav clip that is used on this mic and I did at one time use this mic as a lav but it sucked.. so bad I never used it again...

As far as I know and can research the 853 and 933 never had a facoty lav clip as an accessory. (the Shure clips work great though)
If you look at the availiable accessories for the engineered sound and uni-point lines, the only lav clip is for the 943 specifically.  Even looking at the discontinued information there was never a lav clip. (before the 943, there was no good place for a lav clip to grip too, hence the invention of the 943) 

This is exaclty why sound pro had to do that goofy mod with the alegator clips expoxied to the body of the 853.

I am not trying to argue here, but I am curious, because if AT does/did offer a lav clip for the 853, I would like to own a few pair....

Offline Humbug

• Trading site
I am not trying to argue here, but I am curious, because if AT does/did offer a lav clip for the 853, I would like to own a few pair....

In my eyes, the best of both worlds, ES943 bodies, grooved +  adaptor + 853 caps..what I call "AT933s", though this is only roughly right:

(Ignore the AT831s on the right)

And the old version, ES933 bodies (what SP used to sell as CMC8s) with the no groove, round clear ring, and (I think) Shure clips:

Both  modified for 3 wire battery boxes.

In my eyes, the best of both worlds, ES943 bodies, grooved +  adaptor + 853 caps..what I call "AT933s", though this is only roughly right:

(Ignore the AT831s on the right)

And the old version, ES933 bodies (what SP used to sell as CMC8s) with the no groove, round clear ring, and (I think) Shure clips:

Both  modified for 3 wire battery boxes.

I agree, I used the 943 with 853 caps for a good while.    The smaller body is convienent and the clips are really helpful!  I think the 943 body sounds just about as good as the 853 body.  I do like the 853 capsules better though....

In terms of sound I like the following (in order):

U873R
U853R
943ES w/ U853 Capsules
AT873R
U851R
AT853
AT933

Offline bipton

• Taperssection Newbie
has anyone run 4.7k modded 853's directly into the 1/8" jack of an MT24/96 with no battery box?

Offline Church-Audio

has anyone run 4.7k modded 853's directly into the 1/8" jack of an MT24/96 with no battery box?
you can do that but you should use a 2.4k resistor I have tested this with the edirol R09HR only and really a battery box is better distortion wise.  ;)

Offline illconditioned

you can do that but you should use a 2.4k resistor I have tested this with the edirol R09HR only and really a battery box is better distortion wise.  ;)
I've been using a 2.2k resistor for plug in power use on both Edirol R09 (not HR), and Sony PCM-D50.  I've used Sennheiser KE4/MKE2, AT853, and Countryman B3, all with this setup.

Why use plug-in-power?  Just less gear to carry around, one less battery to worry about.

Richard

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
I've been using a 2.2k resistor for plug in power use on both Edirol R09 (not HR), and Sony PCM-D50.  I've used Sennheiser KE4/MKE2, AT853, and Countryman B3, all with this setup.

Why use plug-in-power?  Just less gear to carry around, one less battery to worry about.

Richard

Richard I use the 4.7k on my set of 853's whats the advantage of the 2.2k or will both do fine, i use mine plug in power to the pmd620 and D50 with good results.

Offline illconditioned

Richard

Richard I use the 4.7k on my set of 853's whats the advantage of the 2.2k or will both do fine, i use mine plug in power to the pmd620 and D50 with good results.
4.7k should be fine with the AT853.  Other capsules I use need a bit more current, which requires a lower resistor value.  Ideally a larger resistor (4.7k) gives less distortion than a lower one (2.2k), but I haven't done any listening tests for this.

Richard

Offline Church-Audio

Richard

4.7k should be fine with the AT853.  Other capsules I use need a bit more current, which requires a lower resistor value.  Ideally a larger resistor (4.7k) gives less distortion than a lower one (2.2k), but I haven't done any listening tests for this.

Richard

The lower the bias voltage the lower the value of resistor at 3.8 volts via the R09 the correct value is 2.4k I have measured it for THD and that gives the best balance of signal output and the least amount of distortion. Now at 7-9 volts the best resistor to use is 4.7k.

The lower the bias voltage the lower the value of resistor at 3.8 volts via the R09 the correct value is 2.4k I have measured it for THD and that gives the best balance of signal output and the least amount of distortion. Now at 7-9 volts the best resistor to use is 4.7k.

This post is great Chris, thanks!
When I had illconditioned 2.2ks and a pair of your 4.7's, I found applications in which they both performed well...
There isn't just a general rule that 4.7k or this or that is the best.  Each manufactures make and model will perform differently based on the resistor/load.
I would trust Chris to test my particular brand of mic and determine the best electrical solution.  I have had multiple pairs of MKE40s that behaved differently than one another.

I know many of you don't appreciate guysonics sales tactics or website, but he seems the understand this concept too.  His mics are designed specifically for the voltage and load of a particular microphone input.

It just doesn't seem that the standards for PIP and consumer mic/line inputs are conducive to predictable performance

Offline Church-Audio

This post is great Chris, thanks!
When I had illconditioned 2.2ks and a pair of your 4.7's, I found applications in which they both performed well...
There isn't just a general rule that 4.7k or this or that is the best.  Each manufactures make and model will perform differently based on the resistor/load.
I would trust Chris to test my particular brand of mic and determine the best electrical solution.  I have had multiple pairs of MKE40s that behaved differently than one another.

I know many of you don't appreciate guysonics sales tactics or website, but he seems the understand this concept too.  His mics are designed specifically for the voltage and load of a particular microphone input.

It just doesn't seem that the standards for PIP and consumer mic/line inputs are conducive to predictable performance

What I do is simple I put a potentiometer on the mic in place of the resistor mod I do and dial it in with my distortion meter and a very very low distortion source then I measure the value of the pots adjustment under the voltage that the mics will see in the real world. With the Sennheiser mics both omni and cardioid that companies like MM are selling 4.7k when used with a battery box is perfect but I too have seen differences that mean different values must be used.

Maybe they were using different fets at one time or another. All I know is before any of the mics I mod get modified I do the potentiometer test. I know some of my competition have tried to do the mod to varying degrees of success the one thing most of them fail to realize is that the values are not writen in stone and that you must have a way of measuring the distortion of the mic and have a very low distortion acoustic transducer. Or substitute the capsule for a capacitor and measure the distortion by putting in a tone into the cap. But that does not take into consideration the diaphragm and resonance of the mic body it self and its contribution to distortion.

The key to my mics is simple.. I match them to with in 0.005 db of each other at 1k and I make sure that the distortion or overload characteristics of each mic in the set is the same. That way both mics in the set perform the same way. This gives you a set of mics that is matched mid band and that will capture the sound field balance left/right exactly the way it is based on your placement. This gets you closer to what things sounded like at the concert. Most people say they match mics but when your mic capsule are say $200 each how close do they really match? Makes you wonder. MATCHING IS EVERYTHING...... to the way a pair of mics sound. So many tapers are running with mics that are not matched even doing something as simple as knowing how far each mic is off from one another so corrective adjustments can be applied later on in post is valuable and necessary in my opinion to getting a great sound. Unfortunately the VU meters that are being used to make judgements are just not accurate enough to get really good results.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.333 seconds with 128 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com