Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05 with External microphone - which microphone is best?  (Read 5994 times)

Offline vr46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I made a thread earlier about the Zoom devices and recording concerts..

I am now looking at the Tascam devices, mostly DR 05...
Since I will be holding my digital camera I can't hold the Tascam in the air as well, so I am planning to buy an external microphone for it..

Have seen some on Amazon, but don't really know which one is the best? I know that lavalier mic's are not supposed for concert recording or whatsoever, but if anyone just know which one of those that has the best chance of giving me OK sound, I would like to know!

Cheers :coolguy:

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: Tascam DR-05 with External microphone - which microphone is best?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
This is for a fairly loud arena show, yes? Do you know where you'll be seated? Any of the entry-level small cardioid mics (Church CA-11 or CA-14, AT-853 or -851 or -943 or -933) should do you fine, so long as they have the low-sensitivity option.

Offline mrfender

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
I run a DR05 (and DR22wl) with a pair of CA-14s.  I initially ran just through a plain battery box but wasn't entirely happy with the results.  I found a CA9100 pre-amp at the yard sale and have had much better results.
DR2d, DR-05, DR-22wl, DR-40, DR-44wl, DR-608, PCM-M10, Roland R-07, PCM, PCM-A10
CA-14 card/omni, AT853 cards/omni, Nak CM-300 cards/omni, Line Audio CM4

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:24:14 AM »
This is for a fairly loud arena show, yes? Do you know where you'll be seated? Any of the entry-level small cardioid mics (Church CA-11 or CA-14, AT-853 or -851 or -943 or -933) should do you fine, so long as they have the low-sensitivity option.

Yea it's a venue with 15000 seats i think during concerts... i will be on floor section row 1-10....
so just need some input on what external mic's you recommend to the tascam dr 05...i will look at the ones mentioned  :cheers:

Offline vr46

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:09:04 AM »
I saw some website recommending Sennheiser ME 2 for concerts...do the experts in here agree?  ;D

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 11:46:26 PM »
Note that in your other thread I suggested a Zoom Q2N-4K which would avoid the problem of trying to operate and hold a recorder and a camera.  Couple that with in-ear mics of your choice and a monopod / selfie stick and you won't have to actually take the weight of anything at all - which is a significant factor at a long gig.  I have the Zoom on order and may have some first hand experience in a few weeks.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:54:52 AM by Ozpeter »

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:22:01 AM »
I saw some website recommending Sennheiser ME 2 for concerts...do the experts in here agree?  ;D

Sennheiser ME 2 is microphone designed for speech according website. It is not good for recording music. I am not expert but you can find some posts about this. DSatz explained this couple times here. Microphones for speech are intended to capture clear and intelligible voice.  So they have elevated high frequencies and very poor low frequencies response. This is good for voice but not for music.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:27:59 AM by kuba e »

jcable77

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
Not sure why they dont get mentioned much around here but as far as build quality, sound, and price I think the Naiant x-r’s are on par, if not better than the stuff church makes. Just my .02. Ive run the x-r’s into a dr-05 or 07 with pretty decent results. The hypercards are nice. I think they were $75 for a pair.
https://naiant.com/product-category/x-r-microphone-system/

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com