Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)  (Read 109989 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 3)
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
Exactly - it's not Sound Devices, Nagra, Aeta, Zaxcom, etc. who you would expect to have that kind of functionality.

That said, with the amount of things in the 70D that are software controlled, they probably could do assignable channel routing with a firmware update if they really wanted to.  It would actually be a really great marketing / sales point for them to be able to say "assign any input to any output" like the "pro" names mentioned above do.  They would be the only one in the price class doing that as far as I know.

On the one hand, I agree that this is a low priced unit so you can't expect a nagra.  On the other, I don't understand the pushback against proposed software improvements on our recorder.

The fact is that the DR70D already has a very basic mixer.  Since it has a mixer, then you should be able to assign channels.  Especially, since a) it's already done to some degree in the current mixing capability, and b) that's one of the things that the most basic of mixers does.

Anyway, the DR70D already has channel assignable mixing selectability between pairs (1<>2 and 3<>4).  There's also user selecable channel assignment, but the choices are pre-sets.  With these basic controls already available, it seems like there should be should be no reason to either a) add additional pre-sets or b) add user assignability. 

To imply this is only the domain of high priced recorders is letting Tascam off the hook with a software update.  I think it's clear that mixing capability isn't the domain of high priced units, otherwise Tascam wouldn't have included a mixer in the DR70D.

If possible, I want channel selectibility in a firmware update if Tascam will give it to us, but as long as people keep saying that you can only get it in high priced decks, then yeah it'll never happen on the dR70D for sure!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:20:02 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
In my experience, cards don't interchange between different Tascam models (eg. 2d to 60d or 70d or 680).   If the card isn't formatted in a particular deck, I don't expect it to be able to use it.   

IMO, the Tascam menus tend toward being obtuse.   I never liked the menu wheel on the 2d or 680.

Cheesecadet posted details of the opamp change out and pictures --either about the end of the first thread or start of the second one.   

Offline Joshua_G

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 12:44:18 PM »
Well, I found what I asked about here: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172109.0. The NE5532 & NJM4580 are replaced by LME49720, 5 OpAmps altogether. Also 6 capacitors, Wima MKP-2 .01uf/250v 5% poly caps, are added.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
As many times as the "what preamps are in the 70d" has been asked, this information and the information on the preamp mod ought to be in the FAQ/overview. 

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2015, 04:15:35 PM »
As many times as the "what preamps are in the 70d" has been asked, this information and the information on the preamp mod ought to be in the FAQ/overview.

For sure although they are mentioned in the first OP here

Here's Part 1
Here's Part 2

Tom Duffy from TASCAM, "site rep"

And thanks to voltronic, for putting together a FAQ page with recommended settings.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/overview/

-Compact, professional-grade audio recorder designed to be used in combination with a DSLR camera
    -Uses an SD/SDHC/SDXC card as recording medium (up to 128 GB)
    -High-quality recording inputs through Tascam original High Definition Discrete Architecture (HDDA) microphone preamps
    -NE5532 operational amplifiers for even higher audio performance (also used on DA-3000)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2015, 04:48:20 PM »
Oops on me about the factory preamps being mentioned, but I don't see a link to the modification?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:11 PM »
Exactly - it's not Sound Devices, Nagra, Aeta, Zaxcom, etc. who you would expect to have that kind of functionality.

That said, with the amount of things in the 70D that are software controlled, they probably could do assignable channel routing with a firmware update if they really wanted to.  It would actually be a really great marketing / sales point for them to be able to say "assign any input to any output" like the "pro" names mentioned above do.  They would be the only one in the price class doing that as far as I know.

On the one hand, I agree that this is a low priced unit so you can't expect a nagra.  On the other, I don't understand the pushback against proposed software improvements on our recorder.

The fact is that the DR70D already has a very basic mixer.  Since it has a mixer, then you should be able to assign channels.  Especially, since a) it's already done to some degree in the current mixing capability, and b) that's one of the things that the most basic of mixers does.

Anyway, the DR70D already has channel assignable mixing selectability between pairs (1<>2 and 3<>4).  There's also user selecable channel assignment, but the choices are pre-sets.  With these basic controls already available, it seems like there should be should be no reason to either a) add additional pre-sets or b) add user assignability. 

To imply this is only the domain of high priced recorders is letting Tascam off the hook with a software update.  I think it's clear that mixing capability isn't the domain of high priced units, otherwise Tascam wouldn't have included a mixer in the DR70D.

If possible, I want channel selectibility in a firmware update if Tascam will give it to us, but as long as people keep saying that you can only get it in high priced decks, then yeah it'll never happen on the dR70D for sure!
TD, I think we're in argumentative agreement here.  Maybe I wasn't being clear.  Clearly the 70D hardware has the capability to make these things happen, and you're right that they have a partially functional routing mixer already programmed in there.  But the point I was trying to make is if they have the incentive to pay a programmer to make it happen, and Tascam may have thought their target market isn't necessarily going to call for these things, and most people are going to get less confused if you just don't give them too many choices.  It's kind of like Apple hardware.  A lot of people I know love them for their ease of use, but as someone who has always built custom computers I hate that I can't change anything and that they constantly eliminate functionality / ports.  (Not trying to start a Mac vs. PC flame war - just making a personal analogy.  Apple zealots, please do not engage.)

And while mixing capability isn't exclusively the domain of high priced units, I'm pretty sure that fully configurable mixing is.  And if you read what I said, I think that could be really a big sales point if they made that happen.

Far from letting them off the hook, I think this is why we need to make Tascam know that we are now a significant part of their market.  I PM'd our Tom Duffy, the Tascam rep on the board at least 2 or 3 times about the list of issues and firmware requests, but have yet to hear back.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
Whoever mentioned the sd card swap, what size card is it?
Does the 680 accept that size card?
I ask because with my 60d I put a card in that was to large to see what it did and it seemed fine until I tried to actually record.
So what I am getting at is maybe the 680 can't read the card because it's to big.

It was me, and it was a Lexar 32GB card, exactly the same size and brand used in the DR680 that was tested.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

stevetoney

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2015, 07:37:09 PM »
TD, I think we're in argumentative agreement here. 

:coolguy:

The reality is that I'd be surprised if they do much of anything based on the response from when I reached out with suggestions on the DR100MKii, but as I think you've mentioned they seem the have different teams for different products, so maybe the DR70D team will be responsive to some customer feedback.  Let's hope so because Tascam has some work to do in customer relations.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:40:52 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
Oops on me about the factory preamps being mentioned, but I don't see a link to the modification?

I dont think anyone has a Busman Modded unit yet - at least no one reporting here.

And - I don't think Busman has reported his mod specs...

Cheesecadet had his done locally - and to his (and Jim Williams) specs - JW isnt doing the mod business-wise...

So - its a bit of a mystery...dont think there is a link...

Offline voltronic

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2015, 08:48:35 PM »
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
I dont think anyone has a Busman Modded unit yet - at least no one reporting here.

I've got one on the way to me, so I'd be happy to comment once it arrives. I'd also be happy to run some comparisons, if someone else wants to send (or bring over to) me a stock unit.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2015, 08:55:58 PM »
I have had this bookmarked for a long time, I should probably link to it in the FAQ:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/960891-new-very-compact-4ch-recorder-tascam-2.html#post10842631

You might quote a few posts there - but there's a lot of out of date speculation there and stuff about a 70Dmkii - that seems wrong...lets not perpetuate that.

The JW posts seem the to be the most relevant.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2015, 09:01:25 PM »
I have had this bookmarked for a long time, I should probably link to it in the FAQ:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-acoustic-music-location-recording/960891-new-very-compact-4ch-recorder-tascam-2.html#post10842631

You might quote a few posts there - but there's a lot of out of date speculation there and stuff about a 70Dmkii - that seems wrong...lets not perpetuate that.

The JW posts seem the to be the most relevant.
Yes, well actually JW was the one who was perpetuating the mkII rumors.  You'll see I asked him directly about it since it seems so strange.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »
It should be limited to the now established details of the mod that Cheesecadet posted.  I think there was a specific post linking to the parts needed and photos of the insides of the modded unit. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com