Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Post Show Matrix Mix?  (Read 17490 times)

Offline spott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Post Show Matrix Mix?
« on: June 18, 2003, 12:33:18 PM »
I'm sure this has been beat into the ground but I was wondering what the best course of action would be to doing a post show matrix. I'd be happy to compile the infor I get and post it on the site. Damon and I were talking about doing one for the Drive by Truckers last night at the Black Cat but it didn't happen and I left early.

I'd gather that I'd take the DATs (AUD & SBD) and feed them into something like Soundforge or CEP and mix them from there??

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Later,
Spott

DaryanLenz

Re:Post Show Matrix Mix?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 12:57:17 PM »
It is easy.  Read in both tracks into cool edit pro in the mulktitrack view...time align if need be, and hit mixdown to file.  Usually it is easier to time align using cdwave to split the sbd source into tracks!

Daryan

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 08:01:25 PM »
Just to further Daryans post, don't bother "stretching" the tracks....it is a pain in the ass, and not easy.  I have done a few matrixes (sp?) and the easiest and most efficient way to do it is to cut the SBD wav into tracks, and then use a multitrack program, like Cool Edit to line it up, track by track, increase the volume of the SBD track if you want, then mix it down.  Good results are not difficult to come by using this process.

Nick

Offline spott

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 04:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts... will the mixdown function do a 50/50 split or is it adjustable?

Spott

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 08:29:02 PM »
it is adjustable...it will normally just lay them equally on top of each other, but you can increase the relative volume of each track.

Offline Roose

• Taperssection Regular
  • come on and bounce baby bounce
    • My Cd List
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2003, 01:27:28 AM »
yeah, right clickj on the "V" button and play with the volumes until it sounds good to you.  defintely do it track by track then piece it together and mix it down, email me if you have problems
Behave like your Mother is watching.

Offline wboswell

• Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2003, 12:16:10 PM »
I generally decrease the volume of the aud recording by at least 10 dbs.  I look for ambient sound from the aud, but not much more.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
Re: Post Show Matrix Mix?
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 08:54:58 AM »
if you're trying to calculate the amount of theoretical delay, i've heard 1 ft (difference between sound sources) equated to 1ms of delay.

good luck!

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 08:50:35 PM »
If you want to stretch one file to match the other:

match up a precise start point and end point on each recording and divide the length of one segment by the length of the other (same section of music).  You'll find that one is maybe 99.98454% of the other or something like that.

Use wavelab's stretch function (it's the only one I've tried that sounds good).  Select the whole file to be shortened and do a time stretch with these settings

It's probably good to set wavelab temp files to 24 or 32 bit as well.

Note that there's no point in using anything other than the ratio box to set the stretch.  All the other boxes only appear to be more precise - in fact they don't produce the stretch that they indicate.  Rather, they always produce the nearest '3 decimal ratio', so it's better just to set it there so you can see the length of the the file you'll *actually* get.  And 3 decimals is it - any more precision ends up getting ignored.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 08:54:18 PM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 10:25:22 PM »
Awesome... I will definitely make use of this knowledge if I ever come across a situation where I can do a matrix recording. Thanks!

Offline the yokel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 10:03:06 AM »
Here's another method to time stretch in wavelab that doesn't involve calculations. 

Get your tracks in sync in a montage. Then go to the last few minutes of the set & split them(in the middle/left of the screen hit "edit>split all tracks @ cursor").  Then move the end portion of the track that needs to be stretched so it is again in sync.  The gap you have between the track is the difference between the 2 tapes clock speeds, or drift.  Move your cursor so it is exactly @ the beg. of the end piece of the track that you intend to stretch.  Right click over the longer piece of the track that you intend to stretch & hit "transform>time stretch to cursor". Just make sure "Preserve pitch" is enabled. 

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 11:05:11 AM »
O-Dog - how'd this solution work out for you? Thinking of doing the same type of mix, would like to know how it turned out. Thanks!
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »
Here's another method to time stretch in wavelab that doesn't involve calculations.

Get your tracks in sync in a montage. Then go to the last few minutes of the set & split them(in the middle/left of the screen hit "edit>split all tracks @ cursor"). Then move the end portion of the track that needs to be stretched so it is again in sync. The gap you have between the track is the difference between the 2 tapes clock speeds, or drift. Move your cursor so it is exactly @ the beg. of the end piece of the track that you intend to stretch. Right click over the longer piece of the track that you intend to stretch & hit "transform>time stretch to cursor". Just make sure "Preserve pitch" is enabled.

Korey has definitely found the way as outlined above.  I have been doing matrix's as Nick describes above (splitting every 4 minutes or so and aligning).  That method works, but is so time consuming.  Use Korey's method and it is a snap.

I do have a question for you Korey.  After streching, I compare the wave forms, and they do not line up, but they don't sound out of sync.
I unchecked audio quantize after reading the help file.  Do you check, or uncheck audio quantize.  I will prolly do a test each way, but thought I'd ask.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 01:43:26 PM by John P »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 08:32:57 PM »
so lost on this :(
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 09:14:45 PM »
ok, if yinz could help me out quickly, that would begreat

i have an adobe audition 1.5 question considering a matrix recording:

1. how do i lower/raise the output of one of the stereo tracks ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com