Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how to create tracks in wavelab?  (Read 11478 times)

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
how to create tracks in wavelab?
« on: August 10, 2005, 06:16:57 PM »
i have the full show loaded and have made what i believe to be track marks. but when i look at the file it only lists one track. any help would be greatly appreciated.
david
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline macacopowa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Barcelona Projecte Musical
Re: how to create tracks in wavelab?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 06:27:39 PM »
why you don't use CDWave? It's easy, don't modify the original wav, can make a cue and the program's sole purpose is to split .wav files into proper CD sector-aligned tracks

for download it >>>> http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/cdwav194.exe
respectable rig:
Neumann km184 > Hi Ho Silver Clad Cables thegreatgumbino style> SD722

stealth way
CMC-8>3wire bb>R1/ ihp120

recordings on LMAhttp://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danimacaco

http://myspace.com/musickapes       http://db.etree.org/macacopowa

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 06:35:56 PM »
i have the full show loaded and have made what i believe to be track marks. but when i look at the file it only lists one track. any help would be greatly appreciated.
david

after you make the generic track marks(yellow) then use the autosplit feature to split em.

it is in tools i believe.if hes already using wavelab to edit, then cd wav is just an extra step. wavelab does it beautifully.

Offline halleyscomet8

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:49:23 PM »
thanks guys, i will try ray's way first, that way i don't have to download something new. if i can't figure that out i will try the cd wav program. thank you and +t to both of you.

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:55:46 PM »
thanks guys, i will try ray's way first, that way i don't have to download something new. if i can't figure that out i will try the cd wav program. thank you and +t to both of you.

no problem buddy.

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 12:13:54 AM »
david

after you make the generic track marks(yellow) then use the autosplit feature to split em.

it is in tools i believe.if hes already using wavelab to edit, then cd wav is just an extra step. wavelab does it beautifully.

tracking in wavlab will cause sector boundary errors.  fine if you feel like running the files through shntool after you track to fix them.  much easier to track in cd wave.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Ray76

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 05:24:36 AM »
I had no idea about that. Thanks John.+T

btw, wtf is a sector boundary anyhow and how does it pertain to us??

teddy

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 07:55:29 AM »
sector boundary errors have to do with each track at 16bit/44.1 khz having the exact number of samples (it's a multiple of some number and not really relevant).  due to the 44.1 sampling rate, not all programs cut the tracks with the proper number of samples.  cdwav automatically cuts on sector boundaries.  there is a way to make wavelab cut on sector boundaries, by choosing the right type of marker.  I think it's called a "cd track splice" marker or something like that.  if you sink those markers instead of the generic yellow markers, you should be able to use wavelab to cut on sector boundaries.  tracking in cdwav is a lot easier though, and if you are ultimately going to be using flac anyway, you can output directly to flac and skip the individual wav track step.

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 10:31:49 AM »
In wavelab after you set all of your markers(yellow) convert them to CD Markers start,splice,end (Red) and you will eliminate any SBE problems.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 10:32:51 AM »
In wavelab after you set all of your markers(yellow) convert them to CD Markers start,splice,end (Red) and you will eliminate any SBE problems.

do you have to do that individually or is there a way to just make them all cd boundary markers at once?

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 11:08:31 AM »

do you have to do that individually or is there a way to just make them all cd boundary markers at once?

I haven figured out how but i have it down to about a 5 stroke key command, i can fix ~20 markers in less than a minute

Open Marker Menu (the window that shows all the markers)

On the First marker.

enter
Shift+tab
down
down
enter

For the splices

enter
Shift+tab
down
down
down
enter

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 01:39:45 PM »
in wavelab, drop your markers.
then convert them to CD markers.
then name each marker the desired track name.
then do tools / auto split
select a new folder for the split files.
it asks what type of marker to split on, select cd markers
it asks what to name the files, select "as marker names"
click run

i've always used wavelab to split. i'm not a big fan of CDwav.  i generally just leave the markers as generic markers and then run the folder thru shntool.

Ray76

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 01:46:45 PM »
in wavelab, drop your markers.
then convert them to CD markers.
then name each marker the desired track name.
then do tools / auto split
select a new folder for the split files.
it asks what type of marker to split on, select cd markers
it asks what to name the files, select "as marker names"
click run

i've always used wavelab to split. i'm not a big fan of CDwav.  i generally just leave the markers as generic markers and then run the folder thru shntool.

Thanks Kyle. Thats very simple.

+T

Offline halleyscomet8

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 02:52:25 PM »
i just tracked and burned my first shows successfully in cdwave. thanks to all. you guys rock

Ray76

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 03:14:03 PM »
congrats buddy!

+T

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2005, 10:00:36 AM »
  tracking in cdwav is a lot easier though, and if you are ultimately going to be using flac anyway, you can output directly to flac and skip the individual wav track step.

I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »
  tracking in cdwav is a lot easier though, and if you are ultimately going to be using flac anyway, you can output directly to flac and skip the individual wav track step.

I wasn't aware of this.  Thanks.

works great for 16/44 or 16/48.  doesn't work for 24/96.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 11:47:53 AM »
In WaveLab make sure you have the marker toolbar visible.
For your first track, make sure the cursor is at the very beginning of the file.
Hover over the rainbow multicolored triangle on the marker toolbar and select it.  That brings up the new marker dialogue.
Select "cd track start" marker type for the first one. (The quantize to cd frame will be grayed out on the first track, but this will be an important check box in the following steps because checking it will avoid sector boundary errors).
Now, you can either have wavelab auto name your files (track 01, track 02 etc...) or you can untick the auto naming box and use the etree naming convention.  I will do the yourband2005-08-13d01t01 in the name field and then highlight it and copy the name to the clipboard.  That way, when I name the next track, I just paste it in and change the last #1 to a 2.

Now, on to track 2. 
Position the cursor to where you want the track to split.
Select the rainbow triangle on the marker toolbar again. 
This time, select "cd track splice" (you can leave it on "cd track start" and it will automatically convert to a splice marker, but I am ocd like that)
Make sure you have the "quantize to cd frame" box checked and it will locate the sector boundary for a perfect track change.
If you drop generic markers, wavelab just leaves them where you position the cursor.  Then when you split into separate tracks, you get sector boundary errors.  Using cd markers with the quantize function checked, wavelab will reposition the cursor to the closest sector boundary (don't worry, it is only miliseconds off of where you put your cursor)
Paste in your track name and you're off. 

Once you drop the cd markers, you can slide them where ever you want and wavelab will keep them aligned along sector boundaries.

Now that the cd is tracked out.  I open the audio cd burning dialogue.
file>new>basic audio cd
select the little black tringle at the top left of the dialogue box and then select the "add tracks" option.
Browse to your file and double click.
Now you have all tracks in the burning dialogue.
Punch the copy protect (little key icon) to deselect all copy protection checks.

From here you can burn the cd straight out by pressing cd>write cd  OR
you can press cd>save each track as a separate audio file (and it will write all files on sector boundaries as separate tracks while keeping your original file intact)
Now that you have all the tracks saved separately and named according to etree convention, you can drop them into the flac front end and flac 'em up.

Hope that helps.  Certainly, there are other ways to do it, but I have found this method to be the fastest and most efficient while leaving the original file intact.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 11:50:12 AM by John P »

Ray76

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 11:59:53 AM »
For your first track, make sure the cursor is at the very beginning of the file.
Hover over the rainbow multicolored triangle on the marker toolbar and select it.  That brings up the new marker dialogue.
Select "cd track start" marker type for the first one. (The quantize to cd frame will be grayed out on the first track, but this will be an important check box in the following steps because checking it will avoid sector boundary errors).
Now, you can either have wavelab auto name your files (track 01, track 02 etc...) or you can untick the auto naming box and use the etree naming convention.  I will do the yourband2005-08-13d01t01 in the name field and then highlight it and copy the name to the clipboard.  That way, when I name the next track, I just paste it in and change the last #1 to a 2.

Now, on to track 2. 
This time, select "cd track splice" (you can leave it on "cd track start" and it will automatically convert to a splice marker, but I am ocd like that)
Make sure you have the "quantize to cd frame" box checked and it will locate the sector boundary for a perfect track change.
If you drop generic markers, wavelab just leaves them where you position the cursor.  Then when you split into separate tracks, you get sector boundary errors.  Using cd markers with the quantize function checked, wavelab will reposition the cursor to the closest sector boundary (don't worry, it is only miliseconds off of where you put your cursor)

Once you drop the cd markers, you can slide them where ever you want and wavelab will keep them aligned along sector boundaries.

Now that the cd is tracked out.  I open the audio cd burning dialogue.
file>new>basic audio cd
select the little black tringle at the top left of the dialogue box and then select the "add tracks" option.
Punch the copy protect (little key icon) to deselect all copy protection checks.

From here you can burn the cd straight out by pressing cd>write cd  OR
you can press cd>save each track as a separate audio file (and it will write all files on sector boundaries as separate tracks while keeping your original file intact)
Now that you have all the tracks saved separately and named according to etree convention, you can drop them into the flac front end and flac 'em up.

Hope that helps.  Certainly, there are other ways to do it, but I have found this method to be the fastest and most efficient while leaving the original file intact.

Thanks John!+T

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 02:55:24 PM »
Hover over the rainbow multicolored triangle on the marker toolbar and select it. That brings up the new marker dialogue.
Now, you can either have wavelab auto name your files (track 01, track 02 etc...) or you can untick the auto naming box and use the etree naming convention. I will do the yourband2005-08-13d01t01 in the name field and then highlight it and copy the name to the clipboard. That way, when I name the next track, I just paste it in and change the last #1 to a 2.

Now, on to track 2.
If you drop generic markers, wavelab just leaves them where you position the cursor. Then when you split into separate tracks, you get sector boundary errors. Using cd markers with the quantize function checked, wavelab will reposition the cursor to the closest sector boundary (don't worry, it is only miliseconds off of where you put your cursor)

Now that the cd is tracked out. I open the audio cd burning dialogue.
file>new>basic audio cd

From here you can burn the cd straight out by pressing cd>write cd OR

Hope that helps. Certainly, there are other ways to do it, but I have found this method to be the fastest and most efficient while leaving the original file intact.

just tried this - first of all thanks for the detailed explanation, +T

BEWARE of this approach, if your original wav is 48K, and when you do cd/save all tracks as wav files
if you leave it set at 44.1K, it will simply save them with a 44.1K header, it will not resample the file!
this will give you "Chipmunks"

i knew billy martin wasn't quite as bad of a badass as he sounds right now!

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 03:46:12 PM »

just tried this - first of all thanks for the detailed explanation, +T

BEWARE of this approach, if your original wav is 48K, and when you do cd/save all tracks as wav files
if you leave it set at 44.1K, it will simply save them with a 44.1K header, it will not resample the file!
this will give you "Chipmunks"

Right!  I forgot to add, that this approach is for 16/44.1.
Use cd markers in your hi res files just as you would above.  BUT, once the file is tracked out, use the auto split function and save as individual tracks for flac'ing up.  Simply use your dithering algorithm of choice in the batch processor to bring the file to 16/44.1

+t backatcha

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 05:10:17 PM »
cdwave is da bomb!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2005, 03:39:11 AM »
cdwave is da bomb!

no shit!  why in hell would you go through all that just to track ?!?  ???

Ray76

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 08:20:09 AM »
cdwave is da bomb!

no shit!  why in hell would you go through all that just to track ?!?  ???

i would do it that way just because I already use wavelab for adding gain, etc.. and as i am lazy , just saves an extra step.

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2005, 11:15:57 AM »
sounds like it adds about 10 steps.

Ray76

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 11:23:44 AM »
yeah,,i know..Ill be using CD WAVE from now on..  :P

Wavelab is so near perfect for our uses so far(mine anyway) I just wish that the markers werent such a hassle. I actually tried doing it both ways, and the wavelab took about 22 minutes longer.
now if steinberg would buy cd wave, and incorporate the GUI from it...and add a more reliable Audio DVD creator function.... itd be great.

Teddy

Offline halleyscomet8

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 10:54:42 AM »
i found cd wave to be much easier. i haven't stop transfering dat's since i figured this out last week. it is so much easier than i thought.

Offline NewHomebrew

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2005, 08:01:46 PM »
Use cd markers in your hi res files just as you would above.  BUT, once the file is tracked out, use the auto split function and save as individual tracks for flac'ing up.  Simply use your dithering algorithm of choice in the batch processor to bring the file to 16/44.1

I like your explanation about the CD track markers, thanks for laying that out.

One question though, when coming down from 24/96 would it be better to dither/downsample the entire file rather than the individual tracks?  I've had some trouble with ends/beginnings not matching up if I track first then downsample.  Maybe something is wrong in my settings.

Ray76

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2005, 08:09:33 PM »

I like your explanation about the CD track markers, thanks for laying that out.

One question though, when coming down from 24/96 would it be better to dither/downsample the entire file rather than the individual tracks?  I've had some trouble with ends/beginnings not matching up if I track first then downsample.  Maybe something is wrong in my settings.

if you try to do the whole file...you get the 2g file size limit...thus it is easier to split and then do it.
1.open the whole thing up....
2.split using the method above
3.)edit,track...(save the 24 bit files)
4.) downsample/dither

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
if you try to do the whole file...you get the 2g file size limit...

Another one of those things that makes wavelab a really dumb program.  You'll even run into problems with smaller files if you have the temp files set to 32 bit (which you should).  Files > 2GB are a reality of recording in the current age  :P
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 04:02:52 PM »

Another one of those things that makes wavelab a really dumb program.  You'll even run into problems with smaller files if you have the temp files set to 32 bit (which you should).  Files > 2GB are a reality of recording in the current age  :P

why do you say that it should be set to 32bit float temp files?  that creates all sorts of problems.  change that setting to 16 or 24 and you shouldn't have problems resampling entire sets.  i do not think you should dither/resample after cutting them to tracks, i believe that will lead to all sorts of errors with the files not lining up and sbe's.

Ray76

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 05:07:18 PM »

why do you say that it should be set to 32bit float temp files?  that creates all sorts of problems.  change that setting to 16 or 24 and you shouldn't have problems resampling entire sets.  i do not think you should dither/resample after cutting them to tracks, i believe that will lead to all sorts of errors with the files not lining up and sbe's.

Maybe my computer is weird...if I try to resample/dither the whole file without it being cut into tracks(using the "cd start" and cd splice and "autosplit" ) I get the file size error. but after I auto split them, I just doa batch conversion resample/dither and have no problems....other than that, I love wavelab..but for some reason...when I try to resample I file greater than 2g i get problems.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 05:30:23 PM »
for those cases, i simply cut into two tracks in cdwave, and open each one seperately in wavelab, then put back together in wavelab!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Ray76

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2005, 05:34:55 PM »
theres that too., ive just established a rythm with wavelab that im comfortable with, and I prefer to just use one program for everything.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2005, 10:32:05 AM »
I split posts off from this thread and created a new thread as we had moved in a different direction, regarding dithering, resampling and temp files:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49027.0

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2005, 10:58:10 AM »
post split while I was typing, reply moved here http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49027.0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 11:03:41 AM by dklein »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.347 seconds with 64 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com