Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help Needed! (R09 Bad Wave Recovery)  (Read 9542 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Help Needed! (R09 Bad Wave Recovery)
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:54:42 AM »
I've seached and searched in both this forum and the Recording Gear board, and everything is a bit overwhelming.

Last night after several months of foolproof use I finally ran into the dreaded R09 bad file problem.

When I try and open the file on my Imac in Spark XL I get the "Corrupted File" message. When I switch to my PC laptop and try CD Wav I get the "Cannot Open Riff Chunk - Not A Valid Wav" error.

Can someone give me (or point me to a thread) a simple walkthrough for fixing the header? Preferably on a Mac, but I'd use anything at this point.

HUGE thanks in advance...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Help Needed! (R09 Bad Wave Recovery)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:28:35 PM »
In windows, I use Gordon Gidluck's audiohack.exe to fix bad headers.  It is designed to split large (>2GB) files, but also repairs headers.  It's a free program.

http://www.gidluckmastering.com/audiohck.zip

Good Luck,

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 12:31:59 PM »
I also recorded a corrupted file the other night on the h120, and like Nick, am running a Mac system, so we're in the same boat it seems.

The thing is, the file plays back fine in the standard iriver firmware, but not in rockbox, so I know it's just a simple fix and not a damaged file or anything.
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 12:35:11 PM »
Can't help you much because of the mac but maybe your salvation can be found here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0

It hasn't been ported to the mac yet.. Should be trivial. Maybe someone with a mac can help?

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 12:41:58 PM »
I haven't tried this yet but it worked for china_rider:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70753.msg976895#msg976895

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 01:19:57 PM »
First of all, +Ts all the way around.

In windows, I use Gordon Gidluck's audiohack.exe to fix bad headers.  It is designed to split large (>2GB) files, but also repairs headers.  It's a free program.

Good Luck,

Pat

I've got the program open, what do I need to do now? I'm a complete novice at any type of DOS or script.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline pigiron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 01:43:35 PM »
Nick - if you can run on windoze, can you give my utility at http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0 a try?

Your situation is exactly why I created the bugger and I'd sure like some "real world" feedback on how well it works (or not). If it doesn't work, I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the file so I can modify the program.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 01:45:41 PM »
Nick - if you can run on windoze, can you give my utility at http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.0 a try?

Your situation is exactly why I created the bugger and I'd sure like some "real world" feedback on how well it works (or not). If it doesn't work, I'd like to get my hands on a copy of the file so I can modify the program.

I'll give it a try tonight on a friend's PC.  I'll report back here. Thanks for the link!

Nick, don't you have an intel mac?  can't you run bootcamp?  are have you already done that?
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »

I'm running Windows in Virtual PC mode, and it looks like your program is exactly what I want.

One issue though...I'll click on the program, and the DOS box appears and disappears pretty much instantly. What the...?

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »
First of all, +Ts all the way around.

Good Luck,

Pat

I've got the program open, what do I need to do now? I'm a complete novice at any type of DOS or script.

I usually put it in the same directory that the damaged file is in, run the .exe, it will ask for the file name, enter it, it will ask for output filename1, and filename2.  It will execute and you should have those files in the directory when finished.

Pat

Edit:  This is all done from a command (DOS) window.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 02:05:11 PM by rePat »
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 02:08:33 PM »
FWIW, I'm still trying to master all the "home brew" methods, but I just got the file open in Cool Edit Pro (totally forgot I even had that installed on my old laptop).

Looks like I should be able to successfully save it, and then edit/process like normal.

Thanks to everyone for all their help...everyone has already been +Td, and will be again in 12.

Offline pigiron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I just did what I did
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »

I'm running Windows in Virtual PC mode, and it looks like your program is exactly what I want.

One issue though...I'll click on the program, and the DOS box appears and disappears pretty much instantly. What the...?

That's just windows being dumb... if you click "Start" then click "Run" and then enter "cmd.exe", it will open up a DOS box... then "cd" to the directory that contains "fixwav" and enter "fixwav your_file_path"... where "your_file_path" is the BACKUP copy of the audio file.  Example:  fixwav C:\foo\bad.wav.
skm184, lsd2
v2, sd722, mini-me, jb3

Online tapeworm48

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 01:03:55 PM »
FWIW, I'm still trying to master all the "home brew" methods, but I just got the file open in Cool Edit Pro (totally forgot I even had that installed on my old laptop).

Looks like I should be able to successfully save it, and then edit/process like normal.

Thanks to everyone for all their help...everyone has already been +Td, and will be again in 12.

Nick,
what type of a file did you open this up as in CEP?  for the 2nd time in very few outings, i've walked out of a show w/ a bad file that doesnt register in Foobar and opens up in CEP as a solid green brick.  FWIW it was recorded on a 4GB transcend card using the R09 @ 24/44.1

i'll give pigirons program a shot.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline wbrisette

• Homepage
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 05:11:40 PM »

Here it is running under Mac OS X (I simply compiled his code). You'll need to run this in the terminal window.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline chronictonicbear

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 11:19:43 AM »
i know this is an old topic, but how is this fix wav supposed to work? i recorded audio for a client on a sandisk 4gb sdhc card on r09 16/44.1, gave it to him & the card will not recognize in his either of his readers going to his mac. is there an easy fix to tell him to try?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:48 PM »
if you're looking to fix headers on a mac, use soundhack

http://music.ucsd.edu/~tre/soft//SH896.zip

Online EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »
yes old thread and slightly off topic.

Going to guess your client does not have a SD card reader that is "High-Capacity" capable. Get them a copy of this recording on low density media then give it to them.

So there is nothing wrong with your wav file. Problem lies with the hardware being used on their end.

This is what tipped me off "gave it to him & the card will not recognize in his either of his readers going to his mac".

That tells me the wav file on that card is not where the problem lies. Their computer cannot read the memory card you gave them. That is your issue.

Next person!

i know this is an old topic, but how is this fix wav supposed to work? i recorded audio for a client on a sandisk 4gb sdhc card on r09 16/44.1, gave it to him & the card will not recognize in his either of his readers going to his mac. is there an easy fix to tell him to try?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:06:25 AM by norma023 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com