Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Behringer Ultra Curve 2496 Equalizer question  (Read 3081 times)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Behringer Ultra Curve 2496 Equalizer question
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:29:27 PM »
I am looking for a good equalizer to be able to mix my recordings ( I really don't like to do that on my computer since I want it to work on my hifi set ) .
Does anyone have experience with this unit ? Is it easy to work with ?

The reviews are mostly about how this one is working out in a live situation ( PA's etc. ) .

I am wondering if anyone uses this one here ?

Does this one come with a switchable adapter ( from 100V-240 V ) ? I want to buy this in the USA but use it in Europe ( where I live ) .

Otherwise...other recommendations considering equalizers ?

Thanks !
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Behringer Ultra Curve 2496 Equalizer question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:07:13 PM »
I have the Ultramatch 2496 A/D converter - which I really like -

However, the one feature that is sort of naggy...the L/R meters...(which are the same on the Equalizer...)

If you have the unit racked....(perhaps not an issue otherwise)

Unless you have the gear at a certain angle or level, the meters can be mis-read...you really have to bend over get your face on them to make sure you are seeing all the segments. Sometimes the edge of my rack would block the upper segments - giving me a false reading...(or at least making it easy to miss the red lights!)

easy jim

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:36:46 PM »
I am looking for a good equalizer to be able to mix my recordings ( I really don't like to do that on my computer since I want it to work on my hifi set ) .

The reviews are mostly about how this one is working out in a live situation ( PA's etc. ) .

Does this one come with a switchable adapter ( from 100V-240 V ) ? I want to buy this in the USA but use it in Europe ( where I live ) .

Thanks !

I have one I'm using from time to time for quick and dirty A/D with a limiter to add 2 more channels to my multi-track rig, and for on-the-fly dither/sample rate conversion.  It is a decent unit, and the EQ/Dynamics/Width functions can come in handy for cleaning up a so-so recording.  It is not 'high-qaulity' or 'class A', however, by any means (maybe with the expception of the Real Time Analyzer). 

If it matches your price-point and you want to be able to edit digitally with a rack unit, it is a good one to start out and really easy to use/learn.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:20:19 PM »

Thanks !

I have used this eq for church installs its pretty good. I prefer parametric eq's for mastering not graphic because of ability to be very precise. Here is a very good eq for cheap on eBay. Vintage ORBAN EQ Model 622B Stereo Parametric Item number: 150077892085

This is one of the best eq's around for mastering on a budget. Orban is a very respected name in the studio and for broadcast gear and at $90 right now with a few days to go its pretty cheap too!

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

easy jim

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »
I prefer parametric eq's for mastering not graphic because of ability to be very precise.

Agreed here...the UltraCurve 2496 does have a parametric EQ function as well as a graphic EQ, however I use the AudioDesk (Digital Performer - lite) Parametric EQ plug-in over the Behringer everytime.

FWIW, I try to only rarely use an EQ in general, and then only when really necessary.  Unless you really have a trained ear, it is a lot easier to screw up something by EQ'ing than it is to fix it.  The most useful aspects of this unit for me have been it's limiter, on-the-fly dither and sample rate conversion, and it's Real Time Analyzer.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:48:52 PM »
I prefer parametric eq's for mastering not graphic because of ability to be very precise.

Agreed here...the UltraCurve 2496 does have a parametric EQ function as well as a graphic EQ, however I use the AudioDesk (Digital Performer - lite) Parametric EQ plug-in over the Behringer everytime.

FWIW, I try to only rarely use an EQ in general, and then only when really necessary.  Unless you really have a trained ear, it is a lot easier to screw up something by EQ'ing than it is to fix it.  The most useful aspects of this unit for me have been it's limiter, on-the-fly dither and sample rate conversion, and it's Real Time Analyzer.

I have used it and find that its noisey, I would not recomend it for a situation where you do not want to add noise to the signal chain. If put up against the Orban, the Orban would blow it out of the water for sonic clairty. Plugins will only get you so far, You will never see a real mastering engineer use a plugin for EQ, they will use an Orban or a Pultech but never a plug in. IMO.

Chris

easy jim

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:39:24 PM »
I have used it and find that its noisey, I would not recomend it for a situation where you do not want to add noise to the signal chain. If put up against the Orban, the Orban would blow it out of the water for sonic clairty. Plugins will only get you so far, You will never see a real mastering engineer use a plugin for EQ, they will use an Orban or a Pultech but never a plug in. IMO.

Chris

Agreed again Chris...I'm no mastering engineer, or even a sound engineer for that matter.  If I was trying to master something for a real release, I'd use outboard pro gear and lean towards the vintage Neve stuff available at a couple studios in my orbit where I know folks and can get free or cheap access.  That gear costs some serious scratch, I know, so your advice on less expensive options is truly appreciated.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:12:30 AM »

Chris

Agreed again Chris...I'm no mastering engineer, or even a sound engineer for that matter.  If I was trying to master something for a real release, I'd use outboard pro gear and lean towards the vintage Neve stuff available at a couple studios in my orbit where I know folks and can get free or cheap access.  That gear costs some serious scratch, I know, so your advice on less expensive options is truly appreciated.

Not a problem, I know that some people like plugins. There is a card called the UAD1 its very good but again its hardware/plugin option.

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »
Thanks for all the input !
Highly appreciated .

I decided to take the chance and ordered the thing online . If it doesn't work out the way I like it I can always sell it at Ebay .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com