Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A question about video recording  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Industrial

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
A question about video recording
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
I know this is a really n00bish first post, and probably in the wrong section.   

I am new to taping.  I taped maybe 5 shows in total.  Right now I use a Sony MZ-R70 and Audio Reality mics.  I am impressed with the quality and I was thinking about upgrading to video recording.  I was wondering what would be best for recording videos.  I am on a tight budget of around 150 and I was thinking of a small video recorder with decent resolution and maybe a microphone input.  Anybody have any suggestions?  Any help would be greatly appreciated
Audio: Audio Reality Homemade Binaurals > MZ-R70
Video: Panasonic PV-GS90

Offline wilsonedits

• Taperssection Regular
P2 yo

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: A question about video recording
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 09:36:15 PM »
For $150, you're probably going to have to go with something used.

I'd go on eBay and look for a mini-DV cam - one that has decent exposure control.  I think you can get something OK for $150.  Of course, look for a reputable seller, because at that price, there will be a lot of junk available.

Naturally, the quality of the camera is important.  But you can get some nice vids using a cheap camera if you control the exposure, get a steady shot, and don't have a bunch of shake or obstructions.  Learning how to do these things will take some time and practice.  So get a cheapo used cam, learn how to film shows, and then consider moving up in the camera department.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Industrial

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:21:12 AM »
I think I will try that or check out a Hi8 Camera.  They seem pretty cheap on eBay

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
I think I will try that or check out a Hi8 Camera.  They seem pretty cheap on eBay
You don't want to go the Hi8 route - it's analog.  Trust me - you want digital.  You can easily find a used mini-DV cam for $150.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Industrial

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Live concert trading
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »
Okay, thanks for the tips!

Offline Melanie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »
problem with all this talk is that you'll prob. have problems with audio feed in. Board feeds are too hot without some form of attenuation and the preamp in cheap cameras are problematic (i.e. hum, auto gain circuits that are ineffective, etc.) what I did years ago was to sync my d.a.t. tape with vid. (s-vhs to S-vhs and later mdv to S-vhs, and then canon digital mdv's with adjustable gain audio inputs eliminated the need ). syncing takes some practice, DON'T pause while live recording, try to get the drummer if he does a count for the band to start. The drummer is always going to give you your best sync cues.Your eyes are a lot more accurate for judging a sync than your ears.If you can get the band's coop. you can bring a vid. disc burner into the show, (getting an a.c. feed or portable unit) and run the audio feed from your line outputs of your audo setup and eliminate theneed for a sync.Pay attention to disc times however to avoid changes during songs. Good Luck             Bob
Melanie and Bob

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 05:58:16 AM »
A longshot at finding one, but search ebay for a JVC GR-DX77, GR-DX77U, GR-DX97, GR-DX97U
Theyre all basically the same camera.
The 97 was a little bit better if i remember.

I started out with a 77 before I upgraded to a 3CCD beast.

The 77 was fab in low light, recorded decent audio when provided with an external mic/feed, has a 12x zoom, and very stealthable.
Only downside to them is no OIS, but youre prob going to be hard pressed to find a cam with that for 150.

When i sold mine market for them was like 150$, so you should be able to grab one for like 100$

I was really happy with the overall quality of this cam, i just wanted 3ccd and ois so i got something else

There are 2 on ebay now, but one is as-is, and the other is broken.
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com