Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam drd2 can't record dual mode  (Read 2212 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
tascam drd2 can't record dual mode
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:51:20 PM »
im trying to record two separate files using two different mics. I am in dual mode and have set my mode as "dual". However I can only hear sound from my mic in but no sound from the line in. I have both of the mics running through a battery box. There is nothing wrong with mics or the battery box cause they work great when I just use regular mode or put use them on my zoom h4n.

When I change the mode in dual settings to 'mix' mode, then I can hear both the mics clean but this only mixes them, I want it to record to two separate files. What am I doing wrong? Also how can I get the speaker to work? I have it turned on the switch on the back but nothing happens, even when I unplug headphones.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: tascam drd2 can't record dual mode
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:27:17 PM »
You are doing it right.  Set the record mode to DUAL_LINE and two stereo files are written while recording, the one associated with the line-input jack will have a file name which ends in "_LINE.WAV"

The problem you are having is that you cannot audibly monitor the line input while recording (you cannot route the line-input signal to the line/headphone jack).  You can switch visual level monitoring between the two inputs by pressing the DUAL button at anytime.  However you will always be audibly monitoring the mic input.  You must have monitoring turned on in the menu to send the mic input signal to the line/headphone out jack.

If set to mix mode, the two sources are mixed prior to recording, so you can audio monitor the combined signal.

Not sure about the speaker.  I never use it.  I think there is a menu switch which enables it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
aaah thanks a lot man!!! that worked. One tiny issue is that the line in sounds a little lower than mic in, like volume wise even though I have set them to 100%. Is this normal? It sounds louder when I plug the same mic into the mic in slot. And i figured out the speaker situation, you have to disable monitoring. Though its not really worth it but good to know.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »
Input sensitivity at  line-input level 100 is approximately equal to mic-input level 67 when the mic input is set to low sensitivity in the menu.

Couple other things-

You won't have much range of level control over the line-input, and it can not be adjusted while recording. 
You can adjust the mic input level anytime  while recording.

The useable range for Line-in is between 95 and 100.  Don't set it below 95.  If your line-in signal level is high enough to clip at 95, setting the line input level it lower may make the levels look ok, but will still result in a distorted recording (AKA 'brickwalling').

The lowest usable range for Mic-in (with the menu set to low sensitivity) is ~65.  Same deal as line-in if set lower.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com