Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New SONY PCM-A10  (Read 126287 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: New SONY PCM-A10
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2018, 06:28:47 AM »
Hmm.  This isn't normally a forum where people get cranky with each other.

Offline Lutzow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »
Hello Tapers!
I am here for longer as an occasional reader, but from now on with an active account, so I’d like to say “Hello” first to all in the forum.  :)

I bought a PCM-A10 last week and I am not complete sure what to think about it. So I like to prepare a small review but this will take a bit longer than my post right now. I provide you just with my thoughts and first impressions. Sebastian already posted good infos on it and I like to add mine.
Pros:
  • The PCM-A10 is Gorgeous! It’s light, easy to use and has a great design. This separates it from Roland and very much from the Zoom devices (in my eyes, for sure ;) )
  • Handling and menu-operations are great, it turns on in a second and setting input level is fast and easy, so is the hold button.
  • compared to the ICD-SX2000 it can record 96/24 onto the SD Card (I don’t have the Sx2000, but it seems to be a limitation of the device).
  • For the few worrying about metal detectors. I was passing one with the A10 in the pocket and it was no issue.

Cons:
  • First Impression of the Build-In Mic is mediocre, not bad, but also not very detailed and with a well recognizable noisefloor*. To judge this, I like to post some samples.
  • Headphone amp is not impressive. It is not suited for demanding Headphones I guess*.
After all, Design and Usage are perfect! But I still struggle on the Sound part*.

I lent a PCM-M10 from a friend now to have some testings. It’s good to see the comparison from Sebastian with the Roland R-07. From there it looks like the Line IN quality is comparable. After a first Test I had the impression that the Line IN from the M10 is still better.

*I have to clarify, I own and love a Sony PCM-D100, so maybe I am spoiled on the sound part and I expected too much from this little device. I quite comparing it with the A10.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »
Thanks for that!  It will be interesting to hear samples when you have time - including from the built in mics, even though many people don't use them, some people do sometimes.

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2018, 02:22:57 PM »
I just uploaded a recording made with the A10 to the LMA:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188838.0

Several others are on Dime:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-browse.php?search=%2Bsony+%2B%22pcm-a10%22

Offline Lutzow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2018, 06:58:48 PM »
I just uploaded a recording made with the A10 to the LMA:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=188838.0

Wow, seems there is no issue with the Line IN at all! :D Thanks for sharing, I just listen to it..

I did some Tests and put some sample files on the following page:
http://www.luzz.de/sub/audio/a10/index.html
It's very improvised but i didn't know were to put audio files best on the web.

What I can tell is that LineIN works good so far. I figured out that there is a slight drop in low frequencies below 200hz. It's linear so a frequency of about 80hz has about 1-1,5db less gain. Compared to the M10, the M10 doesn't have this behaviour but therefore it adds some high frequencies noise above 25khz. ;)

I will add some Field recordings in the next days. Would love to test it with a good pluginpowered mic to judge the buildin Mic amp. Sadly my external Mic is very poor, I look if there is any difference to the M10 and D100 with it.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »
Hello Tapers!
I am here for longer as an occasional reader, but from now on with an active account, so I’d like to say “Hello” first to all in the forum.  :)

I bought a PCM-A10 last week and I am not complete sure what to think about it. So I like to prepare a small review but this will take a bit longer than my post right now. I provide you just with my thoughts and first impressions. Sebastian already posted good infos on it and I like to add mine.
Pros:
  • The PCM-A10 is Gorgeous! It’s light, easy to use and has a great design. This separates it from Roland and very much from the Zoom devices (in my eyes, for sure ;) )
  • Handling and menu-operations are great, it turns on in a second and setting input level is fast and easy, so is the hold button.
  • compared to the ICD-SX2000 it can record 96/24 onto the SD Card (I don’t have the Sx2000, but it seems to be a limitation of the device).
  • For the few worrying about metal detectors. I was passing one with the A10 in the pocket and it was no issue.

Cons:
  • First Impression of the Build-In Mic is mediocre, not bad, but also not very detailed and with a well recognizable noisefloor*. To judge this, I like to post some samples.
  • Headphone amp is not impressive. It is not suited for demanding Headphones I guess*.
After all, Design and Usage are perfect! But I still struggle on the Sound part*.

I lent a PCM-M10 from a friend now to have some testings. It’s good to see the comparison from Sebastian with the Roland R-07. From there it looks like the Line IN quality is comparable. After a first Test I had the impression that the Line IN from the M10 is still better.

*I have to clarify, I own and love a Sony PCM-D100, so maybe I am spoiled on the sound part and I expected too much from this little device. I quite comparing it with the A10.

Walkthroughs or wands?  That bit of news is positive.

Offline Lutzow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2018, 02:46:19 AM »

It was a Walkthrough, I prepared myself to explain my Mp3 Player, but there was no alarm nor question. In another pocket was my mobile, so I assume the detection is comparable and less (because of its size).

Online Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2018, 03:43:24 AM »
It was a Walkthrough, I prepared myself to explain my Mp3 Player, but there was no alarm nor question. In another pocket was my mobile, so I assume the detection is comparable and less (because of its size).

Was that in Berlin? I have a friend who actually set that one off with his MBHOs/tinybox/DR-2d recently, but apparently it was still easy to get that stuff inside.

Offline Lutzow

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2018, 06:29:19 AM »
Was that in Berlin? I have a friend who actually set that one off with his MBHOs/tinybox/DR-2d recently, but apparently it was still easy to get that stuff inside.

Yes it was in Berlin in the O2/Mercedes Arena, you got me. I made an rare exception! :D

BTW, Sebastian, did you test your A10s Mic IN with a PluginPowered Mic directly? Any thoughts how it is compared to other recorders you own?
I mean I am still blown from your the Decemberist recording. It demonstrate what a very good mic can do. This changes more than the tiny bits on the recorder I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:56:06 AM by Lutzow »

Online Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
Yes it was in Berlin in the O2/Mercedes Arena, you got me. I made an rare exception! :D

BTW, Sebastian, did you test your A10s Mic IN with a PluginPowered Mic directly? Any thoughts how it is compared to other recorders you own?
I mean I am still blown from your the Decemberist recording. It demonstrate what a very good mic can do. This changes more than the tiny bits on the recorder I suppose.

It's good to know several people have successfully beat the walk-throughs at the AEG-operated venues in Berlin. ;)

No, I haven't tested the A10 with a plug-in powered mic as I don't really run one. Sorry.
But if you like the Decemberists recording, wait for the Ryley Walker set from the same festival. :-)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2018, 01:44:50 AM »

good job, good to know. 

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »
Well, I've been waiting for this to show up in N. America. Now the product page has been dropped from the Sony USA website. Maybe some kind of FCC problem with the Bluetooth?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline mitchellm

• Taperssection Regular

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jj69

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »
What I can tell is that LineIN works good so far. I figured out that there is a slight drop in low frequencies below 200hz. It's linear so a frequency of about 80hz has about 1-1,5db less gain.

What? Seriously? That is not good!

How did you measure/test this?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com