Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam dr-680, 4 mics, a SBD and a mix?  (Read 2190 times)

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
Tascam dr-680, 4 mics, a SBD and a mix?
« on: January 08, 2016, 03:44:54 AM »
This is probably somewhere in the forums already since there are so many Tascam dr-680 users, but I am having trouble finding it.  I'm looking to upgrade to the dr-680 from my dr-60 because I want to be able to record 4 mics on phantom power and also include a sbd patch.  My question is...can I do all of this and still record a 2-channel mix of all of 6 channels?  If so, how would that work?  And can I patch that mix out to another recorder?  Thanks
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam dr-680, 4 mics, a SBD and a mix?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »
You can definitely record all six channels. They can be recorded as mono or stereo pairs. You can also use channels 7 and 8 to record a mix of those 6 channels. I never do that though as I need to add delay to the sbd and even if that wasn't the case, I always want to play with the mix in post.  that mix can be passed on to a 2 channel recorder but for the reasons I stated it won't be your best effort.
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 08:20:07 AM »
Thanks.  I understand the need to fix sbd delay.  I assume I can choose the channels for the mix (ex. two pairs of mics) assuming they are all next to each other and in sync.  Or I could choose channels 5/6 to send the sbd out to another recorder or GoPro Hero4.  I am trying to understand if this recorder will meet my interests before I purchase.
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »
Yes, it will do what you want.   It accepts up to 6 analog inputs, with phantom power switchable in channel pairs.  You can make a "monitor mix" of those 6 inputs, with control over level and panning of each channel (or level and stereo-width, for any channel pair which has been set to Mid/Side mode). That stereo mix is routed to the headphone jack, and can be also routed to the analog RCA outputs.  You can also choose to record (or not) that stereo monitor mix to the additional "stereo channel", which is sometimes referred to here on the forum as "channels 7&8", however the stereo channel does not have the same functionality as channels 1 through 6.  The "stereo channel" is stereo only, and can only record only the stereo monitor mix or a separate digital input. 

It's not really a true 8 channel recorder but a 6 channel recorder, which has the additional capability to record either a stereo mix of the 6 inputs, or an additional stereo digital input.

The recorder does not provide any delay or EQ capability. It can only playback the 6 channels concurrently, or the stereo channel by itself, but not all 8 at the same time.  There is no level control over output of discrete 6 channel playback, but there is level an panning control over the stereo mix output of the 6.

As fsulloway mentions, it is better mix down after the fact when you can more accurately hear what is going on with the mix, yet there is no reason not to go ahead and record a live stereo mix along with the primary channels other than consumption of additional SDcard space.  If the live mix isn't all that, you can always remix using the discrete recorded channels / channel pairs.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »
Or I could choose channels 5/6 to send the sbd out to another recorder or GoPro Hero4.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be 5/6.  You can send any combination of channels 1 through 6 out through the RCA analog outs, the digital out, and the headphone jack.  To do so, turn down completely the mix level of the other channels you don't want in the stereo mix.  They will still be recorded to their individual channels, with their record level determined by the record trim control, which precedes the mix level control. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »
Excellent!  Thanks fsulloway and Gutbucket.  This is exactly what I wanted to hear.  I knew i'd get good feedback.  Gracias

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com